• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rewatching the seasons from the start

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've just started doing this!

Boy, the first season is so... Odd. So many things were not decided on and developed in the ways we're used to in the later seasons. Officer Jenny is surprised at Pikachu being out of its pok?ball because pok?mon "always stay inside" - but in later seasons several characters keep pok?mon outside of the balls at all times. Ash states that the Pok?mon League rulebook says that only one trainer and one pok?mon can battle legally at a time - but double battles later become so common! Very funny how things have evolved.

The original season also is so funny tbh, with sooo many jokes and funny scenes. Misty is amazing haha, I'd forgotten just how great her arguments with Ash were.

Currently on the Squirtle episode. Squirtle is so cool, certainly one of Ash's coolest pok?mon ever <3
    Watching the English dub, btw.

EDIT: oh wow, a group of men just pointed shotguns at Ash.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • XD I'd like to re-watch the Show too... Nostalgia blinds sometimes, but I don't think that's the case for Pokemon.

I'll try re-watch it subbed tho...

Squirtle was great... he's also a G if I remember correctly XD

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I've just started doing this!

Boy, the first season is so... Odd. So many things were not decided on and developed in the ways we're used to in the later seasons. Officer Jenny is surprised at Pikachu being out of its pok?ball because pok?mon "always stay inside" - but in later seasons several characters keep pok?mon outside of the balls at all times. Ash states that the Pok?mon League rulebook says that only one trainer and one pok?mon can battle legally at a time - but double battles later become so common! Very funny how things have evolved.

The original season also is so funny tbh, with sooo many jokes and funny scenes. Misty is amazing haha, I'd forgotten just how great her arguments with Ash were.

Currently on the Squirtle episode. Squirtle is so cool, certainly one of Ash's coolest pok?mon ever <3
    Watching the English dub, btw.

EDIT: oh wow, a group of men just pointed shotguns at Ash.

900+ Episodes? Yeah... come back to us in about 6 months when you finally finish that task(that's averaging a little more than 5 Episodes a day to watch everything up to Sun&Moon). Although with most shows, comparing the very first season or two to later seasons(if a series goes long enough) is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Animation styles change or improve(Compare early days of CGI to now... night and day), Voice Actors change or become more crisp and consistent and just the fact more $$$ is put towards any given Episode. Plus this series had character turnover with the only recurring protagonist being Ash/Satoshi. Therefore the only true thing you can compare is Ash over the Generations.

How I generalize each Generation:

Generation 1(Seasons 1 to 5): Ash is a complete newb and gets an unruly Pikachu. Gets fished or "caught" by Misty(hence the beginning of a classic Tsundere relationship. If only we could pick our mates like that no?) and meets up with Brock, a man looking to get away from the responsibilities of life to explore and experience the world. Tracey replaces Brock for 1 Season(due to Brock's deranged obsession over women. We shall never know what happened in Professor Ivy's lab, just like the center of Tootsie Pops). Ash saves the world several times in movies and events.

Generation 2(Seasons 6 to 9): Ash visits a new region with just his trusty friend. Meets a hot but misguided Trainer in May and finds out she's the daughter of a Gym Leader with an annoying Brother in Max(even I admit I'd leave home to get away from him). Turns out May disliked the idea of being a Gym Leader and discovers a new path in Pokemon Coordinators. Through a Student/Teacher relationship, May learns the ropes of what it means to be a Trainer and eventually becomes his equal(with the symbolic sharing of a contest ribbon). Brock tags along as the Adult in the room, although continues his wild women antics. Again Ash saves world several times through movies/events.

Generation 3(Seasons 10 to 13): Ash visits yet another region with just Pikachu(recurring theme... what is this Groundhog Day?) and meets Dawn, a very raw and inexperienced Pokemon Trainer who knows what she wants to do but fears falling short of the standard her Mother left for her(yeah don't we all?). Ash and Dawn form a symbiotic relationship, each helping one another along the way while tolerating Brock's women antics(fortunately Croagunk keeps him in check). Dawn, in my opinion, eventually becomes an equal to Ash because many of the techniques or strategies Ash used to win Gym Battles were devised by Dawn in Pokemon Contests. Group saves the world several more times(beginning to wonder if this isn't the Legend of Ash(*cough* Zelda *cough*)) and you wonder why this group had to break up(wait... blame it on Lyra and the marriage talk. This is a kid's show).

Generation 4(Seasons 14 to 16): Another region to visit with just Pikachu. Entirely new surroundings and no one from his past to guide him. Lets revert back into newb mode and reboot the series with another Tsundere who was just as childish as Ash was(At least Misty was the mature one) with a catch phrase that should be a ring tone("Your such a kid"). Iris being a Gym Leader brings striking memories of Genration 1 and wow lets add Cilan(another Gym Leader who can cook... where have I seen that before... *facepalm*). Only works once folks but eh at least they saved the world a few more times.

Generation 5(Seasons 17 to 19): New region but lets age the Protagonist a bit while adding a companion who's a hybrid of previous Pokegirls(*gasp* We have a Hybrid... what is this... Starcraft 2?) that has a huge romantic crush on the guy. Lets also flip the Brother-Sister script from Generation 2 while making the Brother an actual Gym Leader(sorry Max, even Bonnie gets a Pokemon) and lets replace the classic Brock gag with the "You're a keeper" Bonnie gag. Instead of becoming one with Ryhorn, Ash becomes one with Greninja, saving the world yet again. Cherry on top... Fire beats Water? WTF?!@!@ I call shenanigans. At least Serena wasn't friendzoned.

Generation 6(Season 20): Yeah... Ash finally gets a John McClane vacation but reverts into a prebuscent imp. At least he watched Cartman's podcast on Facebook friends because as we all know, chick friends are worth almost triple what dude friends are. Female version of Brock... ok... Calm and cool Misty... ok now I'm a bit scared. A fatter Clemont?! Ok where's the panic room.

That's how I summed them all up lol.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    900+ Episodes? Yeah... come back to us in about 6 months when you finally finish that task(that's averaging a little more than 5 Episodes a day to watch everything up to Sun&Moon). Although with most shows, comparing the very first season or two to later seasons(if a series goes long enough) is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Animation styles change or improve(Compare early days of CGI to now... night and day), Voice Actors change or become more crisp and consistent and just the fact more $$$ is put towards any given Episode. Plus this series had character turnover with the only recurring protagonist being Ash/Satoshi. Therefore the only true thing you can compare is Ash over the Generations.

How I generalize each Generation:...

That's how I summed them all up lol.
    We'll see how long I get until I give up lol. And after each season I should summarize, I guess c:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • We'll see how long I get until I give up lol. And after each season I should summarize, I guess c:

Well I'm pretty sure you're not the only one rewatching the series from the beginning. Season 1 though is 80 Episodes long but basically encompasses Generation 1 games(all 8 Gym's and Indigo League). When it comes to the anime I honestly wish they'd have him challenge Kanto/Indigo again because he didn't do the fans justice when going through it the first time. Of the 8 Gyms, he earned the badge at like 3(Vermilion, Fuschia and Cinnabaur), at most 4(Saffron(forfeit)) while the rest were interrupted and given to him in some manner. Besides, he promised those Gym Leaders he'd be back so why not fulfill that promise?

By doing this, it allows the writers to do three things. 1) Rekindle nostalgia factor of Generation 1. 2) Bring back all the past characters but none more so than Brock and Misty who this time around give Ash one heck of a go at their respective Gym's(none of this give em the badge crap). 3) End the show where it began with Ash winning all 8 badges again, entering and winning Indigo League and becoming Champion of Kanto. As a side-plot, Giovanni and Team Rocket throw into motion a scheme to take over the world and Ash(like in the games), with some help from friends(like Iris instead of Lance), takes them down. Also could have a Pokemon Contest side-plot involving past Pokegirls obtaining Ribbons for a Kanto regional Championship(Serena and Dawn haven't been to Kanto. May has but she can re-appear in the Championship). I'd literally pay to see Misty and Serena meet for the first time, especially if Misty learns that Serena and Ash are an item(anyone want to place bets on whether a cat fight would ensue?).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well I'm pretty sure you're not the only one rewatching the series from the beginning. Season 1 though is 80 Episodes long but basically encompasses Generation 1 games(all 8 Gym's and Indigo League). When it comes to the anime I honestly wish they'd have him challenge Kanto/Indigo again because he didn't do the fans justice when going through it the first time. Of the 8 Gyms, he earned the badge at like 3(Vermilion, Fuschia and Cinnabaur), at most 4(Saffron(forfeit)) while the rest were interrupted and given to him in some manner. Besides, he promised those Gym Leaders he'd be back so why not fulfill that promise?

By doing this, it allows the writers to do three things. 1) Rekindle nostalgia factor of Generation 1. 2) Bring back all the past characters but none more so than Brock and Misty who this time around give Ash one heck of a go at their respective Gym's(none of this give em the badge crap). 3) End the show where it began with Ash winning all 8 badges again, entering and winning Indigo League and becoming Champion of Kanto. As a side-plot, Giovanni and Team Rocket throw into motion a scheme to take over the world and Ash(like in the games), with some help from friends(like Iris instead of Lance), takes them down. Also could have a Pokemon Contest side-plot involving past Pokegirls obtaining Ribbons for a Kanto regional Championship(Serena and Dawn haven't been to Kanto. May has but she can re-appear in the Championship). I'd literally pay to see Misty and Serena meet for the first time, especially if Misty learns that Serena and Ash are an item(anyone want to place bets on whether a cat fight would ensue?).

Actually, it was 4, if not 5 (Don't forget Viridian Gym, as he actually DID earn his Earth Badge fair and square during that time, beat JJM, who WERE officially Gym Leaders during that time thanks to Giovanni tasking them with heading the gym). But yeah, I agree overall, especially when Misty's end was actually left ambiguous (Brock one can argue Ash did beat Onix overall). Of course, then again, they had the perfect opportunity to do so back in Battle Frontier and, well, Ash didn't even bother rechallenging the gym, and even implied that he didn't even need to rechallenge them.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I was actually doing this myself!! Got up to hoenn before life got hectic. Managed more through hoenn via amazon but then i ran out of episodes rip.

Makes me want to pick up where i left off. Now that I'm not caring about other's opinions like i did years ago I was finding that i was enjoying hoenn than i did initially.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Actually, it was 4, if not 5 (Don't forget Viridian Gym, as he actually DID earn his Earth Badge fair and square during that time, beat JJM, who WERE officially Gym Leaders during that time thanks to Giovanni tasking them with heading the gym). But yeah, I agree overall, especially when Misty's end was actually left ambiguous (Brock one can argue Ash did beat Onix overall). Of course, then again, they had the perfect opportunity to do so back in Battle Frontier and, well, Ash didn't even bother rechallenging the gym, and even implied that he didn't even need to rechallenge them.

Viridian Gym was debatable since Mewtwo basically interrupted that battle and JJM were cheating if memory serves. I'd hardly call that a legit Gym battle. If they were to do it over again, I'd love to see Gary be the Gym Leader. He has several strong Ground-Type Pokemon with Nidoking and Nidoqueen being his most notable ones.

As I rewatch Episodes, a couple thoughts occurred to me. Psyduck was the original and best comic Pokemon(all future attempts pale in comparison) and nothing beats the 1st Season trolling of Team Rocket as evidenced by this: Team Rocket Imitation Some classic lines... "Its that kind of imitation they invented lawsuits for". "Copyright infringement! Get away from him!" *Dies*

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Viridian Gym was debatable since Mewtwo basically interrupted that battle and JJM were cheating if memory serves. I'd hardly call that a legit Gym battle. If they were to do it over again, I'd love to see Gary be the Gym Leader. He has several strong Ground-Type Pokemon with Nidoking and Nidoqueen being his most notable ones.

As I rewatch Episodes, a couple thoughts occurred to me. Psyduck was the original and best comic Pokemon(all future attempts pale in comparison) and nothing beats the 1st Season trolling of Team Rocket as evidenced by this: Team Rocket Imitation Some classic lines... "Its that kind of imitation they invented lawsuits for". "Copyright infringement! Get away from him!" *Dies*

Actually, Mewtwo wasn't even involved in Ash's gym battle (in fact, the reason why Giovanni even let JJM act as Gym Leaders during that time was because he had to take care of an emergency assignment that required Mewtwo's presence). He was involved in Gary's Gym Battle, though. Fair point regarding JJM, though. Although to be fair, technically Wattson cheated when he brought out that Robo-Raikou in Hoenn, and that was definitely one Gym Battle where Ash really needed to actually earn his badge and instead of essentially cheaply getting it.

And yeah, original series was definitely the best (I count Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto as Original Series).

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Actually, Mewtwo wasn't even involved in Ash's gym battle (in fact, the reason why Giovanni even let JJM act as Gym Leaders during that time was because he had to take care of an emergency assignment that required Mewtwo's presence). He was involved in Gary's Gym Battle, though. Fair point regarding JJM, though. Although to be fair, technically Wattson cheated when he brought out that Robo-Raikou in Hoenn, and that was definitely one Gym Battle where Ash really needed to actually earn his badge and instead of essentially cheaply getting it.

And yeah, original series was definitely the best (I count Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto as Original Series).

Wattson cheated with the Robo-Raikou? I dont know about that. It was on the ride to the Gym floor and technically it helped Ash by overcharging Pikachu leading to a clean sweep. If anything it reminded me of Season 1 where Ash got Gym badges for next to nothing. Even though the Viridian Gym battle was not legit in my eyes, one could argue it was more of a match than this one was. The more I watch the early seasons, the more I realize that Ash got far too many Gym badges for next to nothing.

Plus I forgot that Mewtwo had nothing to do with Ash's Gym Battle but with Gary's. Been so long that until I rewatched the Episode again after like 15+ years that it finally clicked. I still miss the Team Rocket imitations though. The XY version though.... that was just bad. They did two imitations in Season 1 and then every subsequent Trolling attempt just fell flat on their face. Would be interesting to see Sun and Moon give a go at it though. Could only imagine Lana, Mallow and Lillie giving them their own Medicine as Team Alola.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Wattson cheated with the Robo-Raikou? I dont know about that. It was on the ride to the Gym floor and technically it helped Ash by overcharging Pikachu leading to a clean sweep. If anything it reminded me of Season 1 where Ash got Gym badges for next to nothing. Even though the Viridian Gym battle was not legit in my eyes, one could argue it was more of a match than this one was. The more I watch the early seasons, the more I realize that Ash got far too many Gym badges for next to nothing.

Plus I forgot that Mewtwo had nothing to do with Ash's Gym Battle but with Gary's. Been so long that until I rewatched the Episode again after like 15+ years that it finally clicked. I still miss the Team Rocket imitations though. The XY version though.... that was just bad. They did two imitations in Season 1 and then every subsequent Trolling attempt just fell flat on their face. Would be interesting to see Sun and Moon give a go at it though. Could only imagine Lana, Mallow and Lillie giving them their own Medicine as Team Alola.

At least, that's what someone on either Bulbagarden or Serebii Forums indicated when someone complained about the cheap win Ash got with Wattson, that Wattson cheated by even having that Robo-Raikou. Personally, I thought the Hoenn Gym Leaders were far worse than even the Kanto Gym Leaders from what I could gather of them. Say what you will about the flaws on Kanto, at least the Kanto Gym Leaders, save for maybe Misty's sisters, weren't outright wimps who could be defeated easily by a team of rookies a'la Team Rocket. The only ones who struck me as particularly impressive was Brawley due to him actually BEATING Ash and maybe also Roxanne (and the latter's only because he at least used Pikachu, a confirmed veteran.). I'll dig out the link.

Anyways, either way, the original series definitely tops a lot of things afterwards, and I don't mean with nostalgia either (personally, I thought the Johto gym battles were the best, struck a balance, to be honest).

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I... attempted to try to rewatch Kanto at one point (in Japanese instead) but I don't have that kind of time. Maybe someday, I will, but today is not such one of those days.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I... attempted to try to rewatch Kanto at one point (in Japanese instead) but I don't have that kind of time. Maybe someday, I will, but today is not such one of those days.

Join the club. MGSV eats away at any time I might have to rewatch the entire Kanto saga. Darn online mode...

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I purposely rewatched Season 1 over July 4th holiday weekend(yes it can be done, just requires huge blocks of time and perseverance) and I honestly loved the Ditto Episode. Trolling Team Rocket was just classic(they did it twice in Season 1 but I forget the other Episode). Princess vs Princess Episode reminded me of Sun&Moon Episode 20(anyone else see similarities?) and I honestly couldn't stop laughing throughout the season(be it Misty or Psyduck).

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I... attempted to try to rewatch Kanto at one point (in Japanese instead) but I don't have that kind of time. Maybe someday, I will, but today is not such one of those days.

Join the club. MGSV eats away at any time I might have to rewatch the entire Kanto saga. Darn online mode...

You can add me on the list of want to but can't... going back to school, work, gaming is killing all the time I have in a day...

I could probably go 2 episodes per day but that'll take Forever XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I sped through a lot of eps yesterday, skipped most of some since I remember them; it'll be different once I reach Hoenn's later seasons I think, since I never watched them to begin with. But Kanto is going pretty quickly by now. I just saw the Ditto ep. Interesting how Ash went pretty fast and relatively filler-less between the first few gyms, but after Vermilion, it's filler paradise XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    So true! I love Duplica and the Ditto episode though. I think my favorite thing about the original series is that characters like Duplica are seen in Johto as well. As understandable that we don't get to see characters again in the later season it's something that I really wish could happen sometimes. Maybe the next time we have two region that aren't separated by an ocean.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • So true! I love Duplica and the Ditto episode though. I think my favorite thing about the original series is that characters like Duplica are seen in Johto as well. As understandable that we don't get to see characters again in the later season it's something that I really wish could happen sometimes. Maybe the next time we have two region that aren't separated by an ocean.

Well they did pay homage to Casey from Johto in SM Episode 28(PokeBall) so even though a character doesn't make an actual appearance, they can be given a coincidental nod in their direction. Much like Ash did with Misty's lure(which is oddly missing this season, which only fuels this alternate reality/timeline theory). I just wish their Team Rocket trolling job gets back to its Season 1 days. I mean they got trolled in Episode 21(Butterfree Episode), Episode 36(Ditto/Duplica), Episode 10 of Johto(involving Chikorita) and then later on in DP and XY(albeit rather poorly in XY's case. Was just facepalm bad although Jame's line was freaking hilarious). Would love to see SM take a crack at it involving Mallow, Lana and Lillie as "Team Alola".

I also understand why Misty was at home in the Orange Islands. Surrounded by water with tons of Water Pokemon, both Male Gym Leaders hit on her, along with other Male characters flirting with her. Take that history and plop Misty(a Tsundere) on an island chain with 3 established Pokegirls? Yeah what could possibly go wrong.... too many characters, too little spotlight(show suffers from that even now. Old character exacerbates it).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I haven't seen any SM. Tho that is nice to hear. And i wouldn't really choose Misty to show a cameo after all this time. Not when Iris didnt even show in XY and Serena can be used to reverse the lack of that. There are plenty if other characters in the other regions that would be nice to see again. Maybe not this series god no but one day I would actually like to see Paul again.

Back