• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Revising

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • bo-ready-to-revise.png

Oh revising, why is it so hard? How much do you revise your stories/poems/whatever? How do you go about it? Any tips on how to make the revision process any easier? I'm trying to revise a story right now, and let's just say, I need all the help I can get.

Silversnk

Valar Dohaeris
    Years
  • Break the story. Think again how your characters would interact along a scene. What would they do in that particular situation? Take in count if they're passionate about their ideals or if they're just believers. Are they thinkers or doers? Does this scene has a motive? Is it a consecuent event of their actions, or is it something alien of their reach? Is this scene relevant to what you're trying to prove in the story? Is this scene tense/romantic/humoristic enough for your purpose? Do I want the reader to feel "X" feeling while reading it? If so, does this scene acomplish to trasmit that emotion?

I just ask myself some of those questions after writing an entire scene. Usually I revise them two/three times before going on, and after I finish the next one, I revise the first one one time and the new one two/three times (and so on).
    I hope that last part makes sense haha
    mM0MF

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I often feel like I'm making things worse when I'm revising a story or chapter :x if I'm content enough with the thing as a whole, it's better to break it down into scenes or parts, yeah, and work with them very detailedly rather than with the big picture. For me at least. Which makes things really difficult when it's the big picture that feels wrong :s

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm so bad with revising. It takes me forever to come up with anything to change, and that's because I can't move on with a section unless it's to my liking. So, when I go back, I already like the scene one way or another, so I have no idea what to change. It helps a lot if I can bounce ideas off of another person, so I'll usually pester one of my friends, who I know have read it, with some ideas.

Back