• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fix Your Country in Five Steps.

Years
  • Okay, no matter where you live, no matter who you voted for, there's bound to be some grievances you have with your country and you probably have some idea how to make those problems go away. Now's the chance to let your political genius shine. Pick 3-5 problems facing your country and then explain the method or methods that you would employ to fix that problem.

Here's the catch, if someone thinks that your strategy wouldn't work, they're allowed to call you out on it. You get exactly one response to change that person's mind, any further and you have to make a new thread to discuss that topic. Don't make the same argument against a point twice. Gogogogogo.

Years
  • I have a question to ask in regards to your challenge.

You state that we must explain how our method would fix the problem, but does that include the politics itself or just our method of fixing the problem?

As in, for the sake of argument, if the problem is Gun violence, would we need to explain how we got the 60 votes needed in the Senate to pass our Gun Control bill?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have a question to ask in regards to your challenge.

You state that we must explain how our method would fix the problem, but does that include the politics itself or just our method of fixing the problem?

As in, for the sake of argument, if the problem is Gun violence, would we need to explain how we got the 60 votes needed in the Senate to pass our Gun Control bill?

Just how you'd fix the problem. Let's assume you can get the various houses of government to go along with your plans.

Years
  • Although there are many things that I would like to change about the USA, here are just 3 things that I would like to change. Also, as the USA is a Federation and not a Unitary, I will specific further that these laws are made by the Federal Government, and there will likely be opposition by State Government against these Laws. Finally, I'm treating this as I'm the President of the United States of America.

I will warn ahead of time that this post is long. It took up eight pages on Microsoft Word.

Listed below are the 3 things I wish to change about the USA.

1. Expanding Worker's Rights

2. Criminal Justice Reform

3. Decreasing the National Debt

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Old thread, but I'll try.

? Increase the guaranteed income for seniors. OAS is a joke. The average senior cannot survive on it and less and less jobs offer pensions. Canada's age is increasing but it seems that no one cares for our older population.
    ? Maybe a government dental/medicine plan for adults? You still have teeth and illnesses after you turn 18. Even 50% coverage would be ok.
    ? Get rid of the senate. It is not needed, the members are not elected, and it's ridden with scandal.
    ? Less spending on military, more on social welfare, like the things I mentioned above.
    ? I think the federal government should hold a little bit more control over the provinces in terms of what each province spends on things like healthcare and infrastructure. Or I'm just salty because my provinces healthcare and infrastructure are terrible.

Years
  • Old thread, but I'll try.

? Increase the guaranteed income for seniors. OAS is a joke. The average senior cannot survive on it and less and less jobs offer pensions. Canada's age is increasing but it seems that no one cares for our older population.
    ? Maybe a government dental/medicine plan for adults? You still have teeth and illnesses after you turn 18. Even 50% coverage would be ok.
    ? Get rid of the senate. It is not needed, the members are not elected, and it's ridden with scandal.
    ? Less spending on military, more on social welfare, like the things I mentioned above.
    ? I think the federal government should hold a little bit more control over the provinces in terms of what each province spends on things like healthcare and infrastructure. Or I'm just salty because my provinces healthcare and infrastructure are terrible.

Okay. What are the method or methods to fix these issues?

Lannios

me
    Years
  • 1. Harsher laws against corruption and brotherhood schemes
    2. Larger income for workers, as our minimum wage is giant joke.
    3. Less church interfering in the lawmaking just to benefit either the church or crooked jesus freaks
    4. More good quality, accessible and free education, especially in rural areas and the Northeast.
    5. More industrial focus. I had enough people trying to raise this country's economy by only focusing in the production of grains and petroleum.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Okay. What are the method or methods to fix these issues?

I overlooked that.
    But in my country, which is a rich country, probably reallocation of funds? Try and balance out what's spent on what. Canada is a peaceful country, and we don't really do military stuff, so we could reduce that spending.
    I'm rather biased because of my situation, but I think a strong social security will build a strong, more loyal, country.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2018
    It would be nice if the biggest problem I was concerned about was only occurring in my country, but it actually exists in every country: the belief in "authority". People have been taught that blind obedience to "the law" is moral and necessary, when it's not.

There have been plenty of evil laws created by evil humans that should never be obeyed. Politicians being elected and given "authority" doesn't magically make them all knowing and caring, so there is no reason they should be obeyed just because they write stuff down and call it "law".

You don't often hear this, but it's the simple truth: You have the right to live your life how you want, as long as you don't attack and steal from others, and you have no obligation to obey arbitrary commands from politicians or anyone else that interferes with you trying to live your own life.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    1. Ending welfare
    2. Lowering taxes on small businesses ASAP
    3. Somebody please solve the Crypto mess. They're inevitable. They're not stocks.
    4. Stop sanctuary cities/illegal immigration/refugees who don't undergo legal processes
    5. Fix immigration laws

Just off top of head... I'm sure there are more important ones

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    1. Harsher laws against corruption and brotherhood schemes
    2. Larger income for workers, as our minimum wage is giant joke.
    3. Less church interfering in the lawmaking just to benefit either the church or crooked jesus freaks
    4. More good quality, accessible and free education, especially in rural areas and the Northeast.
    5. More industrial focus. I had enough people trying to raise this country's economy by only focusing in the production of grains and petroleum.

About #2...

Recently in my home city, the minimum wage was raised to over $10.
    As a result, prices SKYROCKETED at nearly every business that wasn't large such as Walmart/Target/etc.

My favorite restaurant went from being nearly $9 a person to over $15 a person.

You have to keep in mind that money is an arbitrary thing. The numbers we assign to it are never logical - they're always "well thought out" or "timely" but never have any base to why they're there. It takes out the natural supply and demand mechanic that is necessary for a market to function properly. All it does is force people who are paying interns/new employees/high schoolers/unskilled workers/etc. a value that is much higher than what their job is worth to the company. This leads to people being laid off or higher prices in nearly all cases for small businesses.

Large businesses HEAVILY benefit from this. They have set wages and are able to afford the damages from a minimum wage law without affecting their employee's wage or product/service prices because they're large enough to have offsets to this. Their competition - the small businesses - are harmed in the process.

It's one of those things that always seems like a great idea - until it's actually put into practice. There are much better solutions for wages in this country than raising it. Most are indirect as a result of market trends affected by taxes and arbitrary barriers to entry industries.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    It would be nice if the biggest problem I was concerned about was only occurring in my country, but it actually exists in every country: the belief in "authority". People have been taught that blind obedience to "the law" is moral and necessary, when it's not.

There have been plenty of evil laws created by evil humans that should never be obeyed. Politicians being elected and given "authority" doesn't magically make them all knowing and caring, so there is no reason they should be obeyed just because they write stuff down and call it "law".

You don't often hear this, but it's the simple truth: You have the right to live your life how you want, as long as you don't attack and steal from others, and you have no obligation to obey arbitrary commands from politicians or anyone else that interferes with you trying to live your own life.

Your knowledge of how laws are passed is rather flawed. I can think of a ways to make someone miserable without attacking or stealing from them. Plus how do people in your world handle various things like food safety, building safety, power distribution, crime punishment, etc. Without a central authority that most people agree with, you have mostly chaos as the worst among us simply do what they want and you aren?t able to stop them short of killing them.

Years
  • I don't think people in today's society could self govern.
    Society has reared us to constantly be in competition, it would be and utter mess. People would really do anything to satisfy their own greed and without laws in place there's be no stopping them.

It's nice to have faith in humans, but that is a bit too much faith.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    I don't think people in today's society could self govern.
    Society has reared us to constantly be in competition, it would be and utter mess. People would really do anything to satisfy their own greed and without laws in place there's be no stopping them.

It's nice to have faith in humans, but that is a bit too much faith.

I think a good number of people could self govern. I just think that there are enough terrible people out there that things would get bloody for a while.

Years
  • I think a good number of people could self govern. I just think that there are enough terrible people out there that things would get bloody for a while.

I dunno. I think a decent amount of "good" people would even turn messy if given that freedom.
    I'm not saying everyone, there are genuinely good people, but I think they'd be overrun.

Lannios

me
    Years
  • About #2...

Recently in my home city, the minimum wage was raised to over $10.
    As a result, prices SKYROCKETED at nearly every business that wasn't large such as Walmart/Target/etc.

My favorite restaurant went from being nearly $9 a person to over $15 a person.

You have to keep in mind that money is an arbitrary thing. The numbers we assign to it are never logical - they're always "well thought out" or "timely" but never have any base to why they're there. It takes out the natural supply and demand mechanic that is necessary for a market to function properly. All it does is force people who are paying interns/new employees/high schoolers/unskilled workers/etc. a value that is much higher than what their job is worth to the company. This leads to people being laid off or higher prices in nearly all cases for small businesses.

Large businesses HEAVILY benefit from this. They have set wages and are able to afford the damages from a minimum wage law without affecting their employee's wage or product/service prices because they're large enough to have offsets to this. Their competition - the small businesses - are harmed in the process.

It's one of those things that always seems like a great idea - until it's actually put into practice. There are much better solutions for wages in this country than raising it. Most are indirect as a result of market trends affected by taxes and arbitrary barriers to entry industries.
    I meant more for like buying power. Supporting a 3 people family with just the minimum salary is impossible.

Minimum Wage: BRL 937,00 = USD 241,00 (31/07/2018)

Years
  • Australia

Step 1:
    - Stop importing immigrants into our universities. Our government pays for people to attend our universities from overseas. This means that locals find it harder to get

Step 2:
    - Lower the minimum wage. The AUD is getting lower by the month and the prices for everything from taxes to goods are increasing due to the minimum wages constant increase.

Step 3:
    - Stop dirty political campaigns. It turns into a battle of "I may be bad, but he/she are worse."

Step 4:
    - Stop the ABC's obvious political bias.

Step 5:
    - Fix our public school system. It is disgusting how our government lets our schools rot like they are.

All I have to say for points 3-5 is how?
    I'd also say that for point two, that part of the reason minimum wage needs to be increased all the time is because cost of living keeps going up. It's a vicious cycle and I think a more nuanced solution would be more effective in solving the problem.

Years
  • 3:
    - We haven't had a Prime Minister that has lasted an entire term since Kevin Rudd. For around ten years, none of our Prime Ministers have been fit to lead Australia. We eventually vote, not for a good leader, but for the 'least bad'.

4:
    - They are becoming a funnel for troubled or 'bad kids'. They do not provide the help that students need.

Minimum Wage:
    - Due to inflation, we are actually removing part of our currency, the 5 cent piece. If not lowering our $20 (for adults) minimum wage, what do you propose? Our AUD is becoming more and more worthless as the years go by. Something needs to be done now.

Please try not to double post and remember how this thread works. I'm asking how you'd fix these problems, not why you think these things are problems. Although there's definitely some things in there I don't agree with :')

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • You asked how the minimum wage/schooling and government is a problem. I answered you.

Gimmiepie's post regarding thread topic. First paragraph.
    Okay, no matter where you live, no matter who you voted for, there's bound to be some grievances you have with your country and you probably have some idea how to make those problems go away. Now's the chance to let your political genius shine. Pick 3-5 problems facing your country and then explain the method or methods that you would employ to fix that problem.

And let's see what you say later,
    Due to inflation, we are actually removing part of our currency, the 5 cent piece. If not lowering our $20 (for adults) minimum wage

okay, this illustrates the problem and since GImmiepie's thing also asks for how you'd solve it, then please elaborate on a solution.
    what do you propose? Our AUD is becoming more and more worthless as the years go by. Something needs to be done now.
    So.....you essentially don't give a solution, you know the other thing that's a requirement in this thread.

I'm genuinely surprised how many peeps in this missed the second part of his entire post. We can dabble on what problems there are, but I think Gimmie brings up a good idea on coming up with actual solutions to issues instead of just saying, "This and this is a problem, let someone else come up with the ideas to fix it."

So basically to say what he said, "Tell us the problem and a solution you think would help solve said problem."

Back