• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen So...Shiny rates increased?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Aside from the Charmander (the masuda method one) I haven't put effort into finding the shinies I've found. They just appeared while I was either EV training or trying to catch a certain pokemon in the safari.

Is that a fact? And if so, what are the new chances then?

1 in 4096 I think is the new rate for general finding. (FS and wild)

Chain Fishing lowers that number with each success, the actual formula has yet to be disclosed.
    Radar does the same as Chain Fishing.

Matsuda method usually lowers it down to a 5th or 6th.

Even if lowered to 1/4th it drops to 1024 (which I think was the number before?)

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    You're one lucky dude if you think 1/4000 is ridiculously easy.

Are we certain that the 1/4000 chance is for friend safari's as well then? I just can't believe I've been so lucky as to find so many shinies so easily there. Especially not so close together. I feel like there has to be some kind of trick to it then. =P

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • Are we certain that the 1/4000 chance is for friend safari's as well then? I just can't believe I've been so lucky as to find so many shinies so easily there. Especially not so close together. I feel like there has to be some kind of trick to it then. =P

I believe it could be higher there, but I've seen no proof, or disproof. I myself have caught 3 shinies there, 2 within an hour of one another.

Bartholomew

Snug Rungs
    Years
  • Are we certain that the 1/4000 chance is for friend safari's as well then? I just can't believe I've been so lucky as to find so many shinies so easily there. Especially not so close together. I feel like there has to be some kind of trick to it then. =P
    It's unexpected, but not unexplanable by coincidence. I quick-ball'd both Mewtwo and Articuno on my very first try for each in my current playthrough of Y, and, if I'm doing the math correctly, there was a 1.6% chance of each happening, and a 0.0256% chance of both happening. So it goes.

As for the shiny rate getting higher, I think it's fine. They're taking something that was so exclusive that most people barely even knew about it and turned it into something more people can participate in. They're still rare enough to be one of the highest demanded things.

Years
  • Wow, some of you must be very lucky. So many hours logged into the game egg hatching etc. I have only encountered one shiny Pokemon. I think shinies are still valuable. There are just so many people playing the game that whenever someone gets a shiny, it seems like it's very common. I even watch people shiny hunting on Twitch, some of them get one or two and some of them never see one.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2013
    aside from the Red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage, I've never come across a shiny in the wild in any of the games, but I was traded a shiny friend safari Ditto and I hatched a shiny Charmander in Pokemon Y while IV breeding. I want a shiny Tyrunt so bad! I'm ok with the rate change.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    Depending on RNG and hacks completely undermines the value; what's the point of a shiny you had a 100% chance of getting?

True, getting the shiny is worthless. But when you get the shiny with 6 perfect IV's, just the right nature, and good egg moves for competitive battling is when it is worth even more than a random shiny.

I also just want to remind everyone that in order to RNG for shinies still required that you find at least 1 legitimate shiny in order to find your SID. Which still makes an RNG shiny have good value, considering the previous odds of finding a shiny. It did also take a good amount of time (Several hours sometimes) to hit the correct seed. RNG was not as simple as some people think it to be, and actually requires a good bit of work. Considering the hard work that it actually takes to RNG, I myself consider it a very legitimate way to obtain shinies/perfect pokemon.

If you are going to use hard work to breed for a shiny pokemon, why not just put the hard work into the RNG to make it shiny and perfect?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Eh. I think shinies have lost a lot of their value. They're way too easy to capture. And I guess no one has said anything specifically about the shiny rates in friend safaris, but I'm certain its greater than 1/4000. I wish someone would be able to verify what it actually is in those.

But yeah... Still rare, but not rare enough. If you want a shiny bad enough you can get it with relative ease (perhaps 4 or 5 hours of investment is all; 2-3 if you have it in your friend safari).

I also just want to remind everyone that in order to RNG for shinies still required that you find at least 1 legitimate shiny in order to find your SID. Which still makes an RNG shiny have good value, considering the previous odds of finding a shiny. It did also take a good amount of time (Several hours sometimes) to hit the correct seed. RNG was not as simple as some people think it to be, and actually requires a good bit of work. Considering the hard work that it actually takes to RNG, I myself consider it a very legitimate way to obtain shinies/perfect pokemon.

Lol no.

That's like saying "if you put a lot of time into preparing to cheat sheet for a math test, it's not cheating"... Have some integrity. =P

=.=

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    That's like saying "if you put a lot of time into preparing to cheat sheet for a math test, it's not cheating"... Have some integrity. =P

=.=

If you have ever actually tried to hatch a perfect shiny with the right nature (And succeeded) you'd know that it is a lot harder than just copying down a few "Math" equations. RNG is kind of like a textbook, and not the one the teacher uses. You still have to work hard in order to figure out the correct answer on your own.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2023
    I don't know how it's been in the past as I've never Shiny Hunted before until now (never was good with a PokeRadar), but after 32 shinies, all from the Friend Safari, I'm not nearly as enthused when encountering them any longer. That said, I wouldn't have hunted for shinies if the odds weren't better, so this is kind of a contradictory point and really I have nothing to complain about. True vets might have a right to have issues, but I've only had 3 shinies before this gen, so as far as excitement goes, I wouldn't have even had the initial buzz if it wasn't for the new odds.

I still like that more people will find shinies, and I don't think it completely reduces trade value either (I spent a day and a half trying to get my Shiny Protean Frogadier, most people don't want to do that and thus are still super willing to trade away for it). The excitement will die down for those of us keep plugging away, but what should we expect?

All of this said, why are people not stressing Friend Safari more (genuine question)? 32 shinnies in 3 weeks? Clearly this is some untapped resource. You hear a lot about 'I found a shiny on my first go' but not much of 'I use it as my main hunting grounds'. The odds seem to be wild!

Back