• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen So...Shiny rates increased?

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    Well i havent found a single shiny yet on my safarii sooo i guess rate increase didnt help me :|
    Me either :/

I did catch a shiny Luvdisc while farming Heart Scales though. Not a bad little Pokemon, but I would have preferred something else. At least I got the excitement factor of actually finding one (especially since it wasn't my intent at the time)!

Years
    On my part, I had never seen a shiny from playing generation 1 up to...yesterday!!! Found a shiny Forretress in a friend safari :) Let's hope it's not the last one I see for another 6 generations

Broncos

Jesus take the wheel
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2016
    I dunno what a "hardcore fan" looks like, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter since everyone plays Pokemon for different reasons. Not everyone is into online battling, breeding for perfect IVs, EVs, or HIVs, and I'm pretty sure not everyone cares about natures or completing the game with every Pokemon being caught. SR or hunting for 10 months straight IMO doesn't make anyone hardcore - why would such a thing even be thought of? The overall value of a shiny will always be the same since it's only worth as much as YOU want it to be.

I remember catching my first shiny in Pokemon Silver back when it first came out. I had just started the game and right off the bat I encounter a shiny Sentret. I at the time didn't think much of it. I might've said sometime like, "Oh golly, wowie", I dunno... anyway, I remember tossing it in the PC and never looking at it again. Fast forward many years later and I run into a shiny Sigilyph on Y. I ran into it a couple weeks ago and traded it - not for another shiny either.

The rate decreasing is a great thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise must have loads of free-time and is upset that some new guy might run into a cool shiny (accidentally) and start bragging instead of writing an entire novel on how he/she obtained a shiny Caterpie.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Shiny Pokemon are going to be meh after a bit... There is some kind of trick to guarantee hatching shiny Pokemon (by coordinating with other trainers), so why bother relying on methods and luck. I am remembering the villain from The Incredibles "If everyone is special, then nobody is special."

What makes a shiny special is the wonder of finding one through luck/hard work. Depending on RNG and hacks completely undermines the value; what's the point of a shiny you had a 100% chance of getting?

That's why finding a shiny is still special to me, because I got it legitimately in the way the developers wanted me to. As long as that still remains a challenging feat, they'll always be worth something to us.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    What makes a shiny special is the wonder of finding one through luck/hard work. Depending on RNG and hacks completely undermines the value; what's the point of a shiny you had a 100% chance of getting?

That's why finding a shiny is still special to me, because I got it legitimately in the way the developers wanted me to. As long as that still remains a challenging feat, they'll always be worth something to us.
    I got my first shiny from fishing a few weeks ago. I'm happy to be making it work. It's a Luvdisc, but I don't hold it against her ^.^

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    Personally I've only encountered a shiny pokemon once in my life (besides with cheats on the computer), so I think it will be a while until I start thinking "another shiny, whatever", although it was a Houndoor, so I wasn't terribly excited.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    In response to those of you who are concerned with shiny rarity i have good news for you!

Despite the apparent change to shiny encounter rate, I have been masuda method breeding for my shiny for now 2 and a half weeks. I have since lost count of how many eggs I've hatched and still no shiny.

So no need to worry about shinies being super common... At least for now. when the hackers crack the 3DS it will be a different story..

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    The rate decreasing is a great thing. Anyone who thinks otherwise must have loads of free-time and is upset that some new guy might run into a cool shiny (accidentally) and start bragging instead of writing an entire novel on how he/she obtained a shiny Caterpie.

Finding a shiny isnt about bragging rights or jealousy! Its about the satisfaction of finding something this ridiculously rare after years of waiting and wanting. Though you have a point about the value of shinies varying per person. Personally, their value for me is all in their rarity, which is why these changes upset me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2020
    Make no mistake, it's still extremely easy to play this game from start to fins oh without ever seeing a shiny. chaining isn't exactly easy and you can hatch eggs for days and probably never see a shiny. It's all up to chance and still not worth complaining about. On a positive note, if shinies really mean that much to you, you would find it really fun to have a party of your most favorite shinies. Then you'd see how hard it actually still is to get them.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Can anyone calculate the probability of hatching a shiny if the Shiny Charm is in the games post filling up the national dex? I mean the chance already went up, now imagine what having that item would do...

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
    Can anyone calculate the probability of hatching a shiny if the Shiny Charm is in the games post filling up the national dex? I mean the chance already went up, now imagine what having that item would do...
    1/512, Because the game will still try to make 8 attempts and many sites stated that the base shiny chanche is halved (1/4096)

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Do you think Shinies are special anymore...?

So, from my own experiences and the experiences of others I know, shinies seem RIDICULOUSLY common this generation (in comparison to old ones). Friend Safari shinies appear to be the most common, while Masuda Method and Chain Fishing seem to have increased rates for shinies as well.

Myself, I've found like 15 or so shinies in the friend safari during EV training. I've only hatched (and attempted) one shiny with the Masuda method, however, which doesn't really allow me to comment on that. But it was after about 200 eggs.

My question here is do you think that shinies are still as valuable as they were in past generations, and do you consider them as special?

Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Nope.

Shinies are still incredibly hard to get.

Over 200 hours only 2 shinies found. One through regular searching (although accidental) and one through Friend Safari. Both have the same rate btw. I'm actually trying to get a Shiny from each method, but so far no luck on Chain Fishing, Radar, or Matsuda Method. Have yet to run into other Shinies in Friend Safari (I have about 100 hours in FS) and through regular means.

So for me shinies are still valuable trophies.

And in all honesty...Shinies now are as valuable as they were in the past if you knew how to RNG or knew someone who could RNG. A large complaint one of my friend has right now is he can RNG abuse his game for perfect Shinies like he used to so he has less shinies now than what he is used to being able to get.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2015
    It's a redundant question if you think about it. If they weren't special, people wouldn't be going to so many lengths to get them. Increased shiny rate or not, the more time you put into it, the more shinies you'll find... and obviously the more you'll find the less special it will seem.

You clearly put a lot of time into your shiny hunting. I've put not nearly as much time into it as you, and I've only got one shiny, so right now, finding one would be awesome but I'm sure after I find 15 I may get a little tired of them too. But they are still just as much a bonus in the game as they've always been.

Sonatron

Face of Rubber
    Years
    Still trying to hatch a shiny Charmander, not caught any shinies whatsoever, so if there are greater chances then I've still got terrible Pokéluck XD

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    You clearly put a lot of time into your shiny hunting. I've put not nearly as much time into it as you, and I've only got one shiny, so right now, finding one would be awesome but I'm sure after I find 15 I may get a little tired of them too. But they are still just as much a bonus in the game as they've always been.

Aside from the Charmander (the masuda method one) I haven't put effort into finding the shinies I've found. They just appeared while I was either EV training or trying to catch a certain pokemon in the safari.

Nope.

Shinies are still incredibly hard to get.

Over 200 hours only 2 shinies found. One through regular searching (although accidental) and one through Friend Safari. Both have the same rate btw.

Is that a fact? And if so, what are the new chances then?

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    You're one lucky dude if you think 1/4000 is ridiculously easy.

In my opinion shinies are still as valuable as they were prior to the 6th gen. chain fishing is really the only method that I think is too easy, but there are not that many pokemon that catchable through this method so it evens itself out nicely.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Well, I traded a shiny Scatterbug for a Zapdos on the GTS within 5 minutes of posting, so, yes, I would say they're still pretty valuable! ;-p

Back