• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV Top 10 Animated Series(Non-Anime)

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • Japanese Anime dominates when it comes to Animated series but occasionally gems are produced outside of Japan. Be it from the USA, Europe or elsewhere in the world, feel free to elaborate on what series you deem to be your favorite. For me, the following 10 are my favorite in descending order. Pokemon is not here and doesn't count because its Japanese Anime folks(besides there are plenty of other places to talk Pokemon).

#10:
    Spoiler:

#9:
    Spoiler:

#8:
    Spoiler:

#7:
    Spoiler:

#6:
    Spoiler:

#5:
    Spoiler:

#4:
    Spoiler:

#3:
    Spoiler:

#2:
    Spoiler:

#1:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    While Airbender + Korra are worthy #1 and I don't see how any other show can rival that duo, I'm surprised you completely left out Steven Universe. Personally, I can't stand mindless comedic cartoon shows without plot, so I'd have excluded Animaniacs and put SU somewhere in the top 5 at least, for its depth, warmth and creative animation c:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • While Airbender + Korra are worthy #1 and I don't see how any other show can rival that duo, I'm surprised you completely left out Steven Universe. Personally, I can't stand mindless comedic cartoon shows without plot, so I'd have excluded Animaniacs and put SU somewhere in the top 5 at least, for its depth, warmth and creative animation c:

Show never appealed to me to be honest and I lost interest in the show. I may give it a 2nd chance but I doubt it will crack my top 5. As for Animaniacs, it had humor that at the time went right over my head. When I rewatched them when I was older, I was amazed at what they were allowed to get away with back then.

pkmin3033

...you're inviting us to make our own lists, right? Because Code Lyoko is one of the worst shows I've ever seen and I would argue it being on any best 10 list until I was in my grave. Sorry, topic title doesn't make it very clear. xD;

You're missing a lot of amazing shows from the 90s and early 2000s. At the very least, Batman: The Animated series deserves a spot as one of the most - if not the most - iconic depictions of the character, I think. Honestly I find myself preferring The Brave and the Bold sometimes for its delightful humour (and the Music Meister episode) but DC cartoons were at their peak during the time that was airing, and for a while after. Shame they couldn't duplicate that with their movies...

Also, the lack of Tom and Jerry makes me sad.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I'll make mine, keep in mind I grew up with 90s and early 2000s cartoons so I'm a little biased. This list is based off of which means the most to me. And some of these picks may seem like mindless plotless cartoons but they have more depth in their comedy and episodes than most children's cartoons now, except for the good ones like Steven Universe, Avatar/LoK, Rick and Morty, or any other I'm forgetting.

10. Classic Spongebob. Jokes still hold up, infinitely better than the milked show it is now.

9. Samurai Jack pre season 5. Never saw season 5. But classic Jack had good stories, characters, action, comedy.

8. Courage the Cowardly Dog. I love underdog characters and Courage had some touching moments. I love the horror-comedy aspect as well. Big fan of horror.

7. Teen Titans. Best adaptation of the comic book team, >>>>> Titans live action show.

6. Superman: The Animated Series. A fan of Superman but it could of been better, Clark/Superman felt uncharacteristically stiff. Superman's villains and support cast carries the show I feel. Bruce Timm doesn't have has much passion for Superman as he does for Batman unfortunately.

5. Tom and Jerry. I grew up watching the old cartoons. Funny and simple classic.

4. Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, both quality shows and certainly more well thought and mature than a lot of my list. But I'm not as emotionally attached to the show as with other shows. Also I think Avatar is better than LoK.

3. Justice League/JLU: Like the TT, best adaptation of another superhero team. >>>>> the JL movie. It had heart and depicted characters like Green Arrow better than the CW shows as well.

2. Fleischer Superman: Seamless animation that holds up to this day. Simple but effective depictions of the golden age Clark Kent/Superman, a guy who fights and does the right thing and saves the day. No edge or brooding.

1. Batman: The Animated Series: The creators make sure their passion for Batman is put on paper and animated cause the animation is top notch, and influenced by the Fleischer Superman cartoons. Batman isn't the overpowered, prepared and overhyped hero that he is in the following Justice League cartoons but is really depicted as a conflicted human guy who just wants to fight the good fight. It also got me into superheroes in the first place, a good entry point for people who like superheroes. The I am the Night speech is really good. Mask of the Phantasm is also an excellent Batman movie. The villains and supporting cast makes the show as well.

honorable mentions: Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Ed Edd n Eddy, classic Fairly Oddparents, Young Justice, Green Lantern: TAS, Spectacular Spider-Man, 90s Spider-Man, 90s X-Men, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Batman Beyond, Codename: Kids Next Door, The Simpsons, Danny Phantom, King of the HIll. There's probably more that I'm forgetting.

I also remember watching some Code Lyoko but that show seemed weird to me. What's good about it?

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • ...you're inviting us to make our own lists, right? Because Code Lyoko is one of the worst shows I've ever seen and I would argue it being on any best 10 list until I was in my grave. Sorry, topic title doesn't make it very clear. xD;

You're missing a lot of amazing shows from the 90s and early 2000s. At the very least, Batman: The Animated series deserves a spot as one of the most - if not the most - iconic depictions of the character, I think. Honestly I find myself preferring The Brave and the Bold sometimes for its delightful humour (and the Music Meister episode) but DC cartoons were at their peak during the time that was airing, and for a while after. Shame they couldn't duplicate that with their movies...

Also, the lack of Tom and Jerry makes me sad.

Yes this is a thread to make their own lists and I respect your opinion regarding CL(not everyone likes it). I also know about the 90?s cartoons like Batman and Superman(and yes they were really, really good) but my list is of my own opinion and with hundreds of cartoons out there, some are favored more than others.

Courage the Cowardly Dog is also an underrated cartoon and would recommend it to anyone. Same with Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. It?s a shame to see what cartoons have become though... to go from 2003 Teen Titans to TTG... makes me shudder every time.

Years
  • Some of my favorites in no particular order:

1. Teen Titans
    2. Avatar The Last Airbender & The Legend of Korra
    3. Gravity Falls
    4. Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated
    5. Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends
    6. Courage The Cowardly Dog
    7. Bob's Burgers
    8. American Dad
    9. Family Guy
    10. Codename Kids Next Door