• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could replace Pikachu with another mascot, who would it be?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • It's hard to say who'd be most deserving of the role being that Pikachu has held it for so long. An argument can be made it should be Eevee due to it being the rival Pokemon in Pokemon Yellow(the only game with Pikachu as a starter) and the fact we have LGP/LGE coming our way. Furthermore, its always been thrust back into the spotlight with a new Eevolution(be it Gen 2, Gen 4 or most recently Gen 6 with Sylveon). Who's to say that won't be the case again with Gen 8 and/or LGP/LGE.

Now if Eevee wasn't an option, I'd go with Vulpix.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • The Puff, obviously

Hmm Jigglypuff could work considering it was the only Pokemon to debut with Pikachu in SSB(aka Super Smash Brothers). However, I'm not sure a floating Balloon would connect as well as Eevee or even Vulpix. Curious to see what others have to say on this.

Years
  • I would replace Pikachu with Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff is so cute and I love it when she sings. I could just imagine seeing front covers and posters of Jigglypuff.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Seems Jigglypuff is a relatively popular choice and so is Eevee. Do you guys see later gen pokemon succeeding the mascot role as well as some gen 1 pokemon would?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Seems Jigglypuff is a relatively popular choice and so is Eevee. Do you guys see later gen pokemon succeeding the mascot role as well as some gen 1 pokemon would?

Vulpix: Brock(a popular Gen 1-4 character) raised one back in Kanto and well into Johto before giving it back to Suzie. It got reinvigorated with Lillie and its new Alolan variant. Since Lillie is basically the best, F-the rest in the Pokemon writers minds, I could potentially see Vulpix as a Pokemon mascot.

Cyndaquil: Cute Johto Fire Type that Ash had in addition to Dawn(where she got one to promote HGSS during Lyra/Khoury arc).

Greninja: Ninja-like characters are popular in Japan. Case in point is Naruto and don't be surprised if Lycanroc grows in popularity due to its Red-Eyes(which are similar to Sasuke in the same Anime).

Umbreon & Espeon: Both are Eevolutions and both are complete opposites of one another. In a way they could have replaced Solgaleo and Lunala on Sun and Moon's covers.

Sylveon: Epitomizes Fairy Types and is the signature Pokemon of Serena's Team.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Even before the promotion of Eevee the last couple of years, I'd always said that it would make a strong mascot, since it's the right amount of cute, and it showcases the mechanic of evolution better than pretty much any Pokemon family in the game. Glad to see that it's finally getting a bigger spotlight these days.

Aside from Eevee, I think a mascot duo of Mew and Mewtwo could've worked well, especially if they went all in right around the original Pokemon movie. I think Mewtwo is still one of the most recognized Pokemon to this day, even though it isn't marketed as much as some other Pokemon.

Do you guys see later gen pokemon succeeding the mascot role as well as some gen 1 pokemon would?
    Never as the #1 mascot. Some of them have been featured alongside Pikachu and have had a bit of time to shine, but the only way a non-gen 1 Pokemon would have been able to become the top mascot is if they were introduced early enough that Pokemon was still at the height of its popularity. That leaves very few options- Ho-Oh, Togepi, Marill, Snubbull, Bellossom, Donphan, and maybe one or two more. Marill or Togepi could've worked as supporting mascots, but I don't think either could've outright replaced Pikachu.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I?d use Vulpix as the mascot as it?s one of the few Kanto Pokemon with an Alolan form that is also quite popular. Plus who can deny it?s irresistible cuteness?

pokecen_vulpix_autumn_photo_3.jpg

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Eevee, because it's extremely versatile and has the same amount of cute Pikachu has, not to mention the fact that it, alongside Pikachu, is the mascot of the Let's Go games.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I don't have a problem with Pikachu as a Pok?mon. But considering what happened to it, and how overdone and omnipresent it became, I don't think a Pok?mon should be the mascot of the franchise. It should have an icon, and the Pok? Ball is perfect for it.

That said, if I were to choose, I'd put the three Kanto starters as a mascot trio. Or Mew, due to its rarity and mythical status.

GlaceonBlitz

Professional Glaceon Trainer
    Years
  • Well, i kind of think that Skitty would be cute, but it looks too, feminine. Maybe, Eevee? It looks gender neutral for the most part, and there are so many different choices for it to evolve to.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Bruh, Meowth... got a speaking role in the show, and they've got an approachable design - you can tell what they are, anyway. (Actually, would it be too jinx-y to rep your franchise with a symbol of luck and financial gain?) But they've even got their own self-contained gimmick with the whole "Pay Day" thing. Maybe not representative of the series as a whole, but he could be the mascot of something.

I'd totally want to see a world where Clefairy beat out Pikachu as mascot, too. You don't see many pretty-pink mascots for gender-neutral audiences, you know. I'd want to see how the franchise would adapt. Maybe market itself more towards chicks? That'd be fucking dope.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Eeveelution or any other dog family member

Or our lord Entei

dannymusic

The Smiling Trombonist
    Years
  • I'm quite happy with the push to Eevee; my favorite pokemon is an Eeveelution after all! Other than that, Greninja and Lucario are kinda the go-to "cool" pokemon, plus they're already represented in Smash! Mewtwo is another iconic legendary.

But if we're going for something cute and recent as an update to Pikachu, I'd nominate Rockruff!

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2023
    Pikachu is highly overrated, I thought Eevee would be better on a multitude of levels.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • I would have loved to see a world where Clefairy would have been the iconic face of the series.
    I still think a spin-off of that would be wonderful.

Years
  • ^ I've always wondered if the franchise would've boomed quite like it did if a pink fairy Pokemon ended up being the mascot. I still have no doubt it would've been successful, but maybe not the multimedia empire that it is today.

Then again, Sanrio/Hello Kitty is one of Japan's most successful brands, so maybe with a bit of tweaking to their formula, they would've had success all the same.

Back