• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Ultimate version concept

BananaBreadGuy

Displeased rodent
Years
    • Seen May 20, 2020
    A while ago, before i joined these forums, i had an idea for a sort of ultimate/"ideal" Pokémon game taking place in a future generation like gen. 10 including all regions (including Orre, maybe some spin-off regions, too) all Pokémon being catchable (not just by evolution, events or trades), being open-world and being openly moddable. Of course, this is assuming that the game devs are eldritch beings capable of creating games with the snap of their fingers, The Pokémon Company is a godlike entity that has no care or need for money, and the hardware that it's made for is seemingly alien technology that can handle 10 - 15 connected, open-world regions, far over a thousand Pokémon along with hundreds of mods that can add much more to that. I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas regarding this concept.

SceptileActual

Sceptile, The Forest Pokémon.
    Years
  • I think it'd be a great idea, you could always turn your idea into some sort of rom, mind you, no idea you can you make that open world but, I really like the open modding idea aswell , I always liked seeing the Pokemon community's vast creativity with their rom hacks. That's really all I could say, hopefully someone with your mindset can get through Gamefreak's thick skull.

Years
  • it'd be a hot mess.

like on paper it'd be excellent but i imagine that level scaling would be an absolute nightmare. pacing is also something i'd be fairly worried about... there has to be some sort of semblance of progression and having like several interconnected regions depending on how many quests you'd have to do to get to said other region and whether or not there's any sidequests involved would be something to take into consideration.

there's a lot of other things too but... ok, assuming that Game Freak were to overcome these obstacles and create a "perfect" open-world Pokemon game then sure, i'd be down for it.

pkmin3033

A game does not have to be open world for it to be good, and I can think of no tangible benefits an open world would bring to Pokemon. Especially not when looking at the Wild Area, which is the closest the series has gotten and is looking to be a complete mess that adds no real value to the way you encounter Pokemon or travel from place to place. You're still going to find Pokemon in the tall grass, or in water, or have them pop up out of nowhere for no discernible reason. All an open world would do is make it take longer to find things, and time wasting is time wasting, no matter what the scenery looks like. Hard pass on that. So many franchises have added open worlds to their games to cater to the trend, whilst failing to realise why the trend is so popular. It's not just having it there for the sake of having it there, I can tell you that. The illusion of freedom is nothing more than that: an illusion. All you'd be doing in an open world Pokemon game would be taking longer to explore a large empty space with Pokemon encounters in fixed locations. It's really not adding value to the experience.

Whilst connecting the regions together narrative-wise wouldn't be particularly difficult - Pokemon stories are basically always Gen III's story again, and they could just bring back Team Rainbow Rocket for antagonists, problem solved - actually having them all in one game would require a complete change of the structure of the game and how you progress. Unless they were completely segmented until you cleared the region's league - i.e. what you have in one region you cannot transfer to the next - the only way they could manage level scaling would be to do away with levels and stats entirely. Even if your opponent's levels matched yours, by the time you got to the second region you'd probably have Pokemon in their 50s at least. You'd go through half the game with Level 100 Pokemon. They could dial back on the EXP gain I suppose, but you'd still run into problems with balancing opponents.

One thing such a game would need is customisation options, though. Lots of them. Speeding up battles, skipping cutscenes and text...a multi-region title with Game Freak's frighteningly archaic game design wouldn't really amount to much I don't think. Rather than mods, a quest design system similar to what Assassin's Creed Odyssey has might be more accessible too - not everyone has the technical knowledge to make good mods, and honestly I can't see how they'd work on the Switch. Giving a basic template for quests with the option to expand on that with more detailed options if you know how to do it would be the better way to go about it. Or perhaps allowing players to design their own Gyms? Link's Awakening toyed with this idea, inspired by Mario Maker 2. No reason this couldn't work with Pokemon titles with some tweaking.

Honestly, for an idea like this to work, you'd be looking at a spinoff title, with a AAA budget and a much more competent development team than Game Freak, and it'd probably take at least three or four years for them to make it. A game like this would also need a better narrative than Gen III's AGAIN to back it up, as well as a ridiculous number of sidequests to break up the monotony of the gameplay. Some environmental puzzles wouldn't go amiss either. Give it to Square Enix's Dragon Quest development team and I'd be willing to bet they could pull it off with style, though. The ability to change between 2D sprites/3D models and classic/orchestrated music like Dragon Quest XI S would make any Pokemon game significantly better than anything else that has come before it, although there is no way Game Freak would have any clue about how to do this...although it CAN be done and for a series like Pokemon it SHOULD be done.

The idea sounds nice on paper, but there's no way that Game Freak could make it work, even if they had every resource possible at their fingertips. That's not the kind of game they make.

BananaBreadGuy

Displeased rodent
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2020
    A game does not have to be open world for it to be good, and I can think of no tangible benefits an open world would bring to Pokemon. Especially not when looking at the Wild Area, which is the closest the series has gotten and is looking to be a complete mess that adds no real value to the way you encounter Pokemon or travel from place to place. You're still going to find Pokemon in the tall grass, or in water, or have them pop up out of nowhere for no discernible reason. All an open world would do is make it take longer to find things, and time wasting is time wasting, no matter what the scenery looks like. Hard pass on that. So many franchises have added open worlds to their games to cater to the trend, whilst failing to realise why the trend is so popular. It's not just having it there for the sake of having it there, I can tell you that. The illusion of freedom is nothing more than that: an illusion. All you'd be doing in an open world Pokemon game would be taking longer to explore a large empty space with Pokemon encounters in fixed locations. It's really not adding value to the experience.

Whilst connecting the regions together narrative-wise wouldn't be particularly difficult - Pokemon stories are basically always Gen III's story again, and they could just bring back Team Rainbow Rocket for antagonists, problem solved - actually having them all in one game would require a complete change of the structure of the game and how you progress. Unless they were completely segmented until you cleared the region's league - i.e. what you have in one region you cannot transfer to the next - the only way they could manage level scaling would be to do away with levels and stats entirely. Even if your opponent's levels matched yours, by the time you got to the second region you'd probably have Pokemon in their 50s at least. You'd go through half the game with Level 100 Pokemon. They could dial back on the EXP gain I suppose, but you'd still run into problems with balancing opponents.

One thing such a game would need is customisation options, though. Lots of them. Speeding up battles, skipping cutscenes and text...a multi-region title with Game Freak's frighteningly archaic game design wouldn't really amount to much I don't think. Rather than mods, a quest design system similar to what Assassin's Creed Odyssey has might be more accessible too - not everyone has the technical knowledge to make good mods, and honestly I can't see how they'd work on the Switch. Giving a basic template for quests with the option to expand on that with more detailed options if you know how to do it would be the better way to go about it. Or perhaps allowing players to design their own Gyms? Link's Awakening toyed with this idea, inspired by Mario Maker 2. No reason this couldn't work with Pokemon titles with some tweaking.

Honestly, for an idea like this to work, you'd be looking at a spinoff title, with a AAA budget and a much more competent development team than Game Freak, and it'd probably take at least three or four years for them to make it. A game like this would also need a better narrative than Gen III's AGAIN to back it up, as well as a ridiculous number of sidequests to break up the monotony of the gameplay. Some environmental puzzles wouldn't go amiss either. Give it to Square Enix's Dragon Quest development team and I'd be willing to bet they could pull it off with style, though. The ability to change between 2D sprites/3D models and classic/orchestrated music like Dragon Quest XI S would make any Pokemon game significantly better than anything else that has come before it, although there is no way Game Freak would have any clue about how to do this...although it CAN be done and for a series like Pokemon it SHOULD be done.

The idea sounds nice on paper, but there's no way that Game Freak could make it work, even if they had every resource possible at their fingertips. That's not the kind of game they make.

In response to the first paragraph:
    Yeah, that's fair. I think i was thinking more of a non-linear sort of thing, in which the player isn't physically limited as much, with things happening and changing with and without the player. EDIT: nvm just found out that's exactly what you meant.

In response to the second paragraph:
    I agree that it would take some serious level balancing, maybe leveling curves that practically prevent over-leveling at certain points, increasing the level cap, or the mod system could come into play, taking the approach of letting the community fix your game and maybe integrating some mods into the base game, like how Team Fortress 2 lets user-created cosmetics become part of the base game. But yes, it would have some serious problems to be worked out.

In response to the third paragraph:
    I agree with the customization options and should have addressed that in the first post, along with an exp share that can be toggled for each party slot and has a new/old option. As for mods, i agree that there should be tools for less technical people to make maps and quests, but i don't see much reason not to allow people to make mods at a deeper level.

In response to the fourth paragraph:
    I knew that this idea would have to be done with a big budget, lots of time and care, and a competent dev team. And i feel as if saying "And make it perfect" glosses over a lot of big choices and subjectivity. The "Classic mode" seems like it'd be great as well.

In conclusion, this idea turned out to be less agreeable and fleshed out as i first thought, which is why i asked for thoughts and ideas in the first place. Thank you for giving me your thoughts about what i missed and where i was wrong, and your ideas about how those problems could be fixed

Last edited:
    Back