• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Aipom is one Pokemon I like better than it's own evolved form.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2018
    Aipom can use Evolite. Ambipom can not.

Aipom lives up to being a cartoon monkey better with it's freakishly cool giant smile, Powerpuff Girl-like arms and hand tail whereas Ambipom is just a taller Aipom with an extra hand tail, bent arms and a nose.

And speaking of hand tails, Aipom's hand tail is for more definitive as a design for what a hand tail would actually look like. Ambipom's hand tail just looks like some part red udders.

So, yeah, Aipom>Ambipom.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Moving this to Pokemon Gaming Central so that people can discuss Ampibom's merits in-game if they want to as well. :)

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Aipom is a better design imo. But Aipom has really low defenses eviolite isnt going to help it much

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I agree that Aipom is a much better looking Pokemon than Ambipom is, however Ambipom has the better stats and move pool. Plus an Ambipom Fake Out is absolutely terrifying.

What would be really awesome is if Aipom got an Alolan makeover, it would redeem the Pokemon a lot and would also give it a chance to have a design that further capitalizes on its adorable monkey appearance.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Ambipom was a rather useless evolution, but I'm only saying that with design in mind and not competitive viability.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Ambipom was a rather useless evolution, but I'm only saying that with design in mind and not competitive viability.

Aipom is definitely the better looking one, and should have better stats. Instead it evolves into an worse design who isn't even good in battle

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • I enjoy Ambimpom competitively but I like Aipom more. It's a very unique design and one of the many examples of why I think gen 2 had the best designs. It's special and very "Pokemon" if you know what I mean.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2018
    Aipom is definitely the better looking one, and should have better stats. Instead it evolves into an worse design who isn't even good in battle

Yeah, when I say I like Aipom better than Ambipom, it's particularly because of it's design.

Ambipom isn't much better in battle, either, but it can at least pull off a mean Technician boosted STAB Fake Out (I will give it that).

But that again, neither of the Aipom line was really cut out for competitive battling (Though Skill Link Aipom is arguably one of the best Fury Swipes users in the game).

littlebeeb

小さなもの
    Years
  • I basically swept through the main story in Gen IV with Ambipom, but I agree with everyone else. I love Aipom waaay better! I didn't think they really did Aipom justice with Ambipom's design. I just feel like it doesn't match up. :(

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • <p>It looks cooler and I feel like it can be pretty viable in battle through the Eviolate, so yeah, Aipom ftw. I think the same is true for a lot of Gen 2 Pok?mon/families that got cross-generational evolutions to Gen 4 Pok?mon.</p>

Years
  • I can understand the point with design, but Ambipom is still superior in terms of stats and has a good ability in Technician.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • <p>
    I can understand the point with design, but Ambipom is still superior in terms of stats and has a good ability in Technician.
    Depends. Aipom with Eviolite comes out significantly ahead when it comes to Defense and Special Defense.</p><p>Technician, though, yeah. That's hard to trump.</p>

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2018
    <p>Depends. Aipom with Eviolite comes out significantly ahead when it comes to Defense and Special Defense.</p><p>Technician, though, yeah. That's hard to trump.</p>

I will admit that Ambipom's ability to Fake Out opponents with a Technician, STAB and Life Orb boost does have it's advantages, especially when picking off weaker, slower opponents.

Against a Ghost or Rock/Steel type, however, it's 100% useless.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    To be honest most of the gen 4 evolutions of previous gen Pokemon are terrible.

The gen 2 evolutions of gen 1 Pokemon are good because they were created at the same time as the gen 1 Pokemon Gen 4 evolutions were created years later, and for the most part look like they were designed by Michael Bay.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    To be honest most of the gen 4 evolutions of previous gen Pokemon are terrible.

The gen 2 evolutions of gen 1 Pokemon are good because they were created at the same time as the gen 1 Pokemon Gen 4 evolutions were created years later, and for the most part look like they were designed by Michael Bay.

Source on Gen 2 cross gen evolutions being created at the same time with gen 1?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Because of index number there are 9 gen 2 evolutions of gen 1 Pokemon that appear before 190 which is the original number of Pokemon that was going to be in red/blue.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Well, if you can say that, I'm gonna say Murkrow > Honchkrow. I don't really have specific reasoning. I just like Murkrow better <3

I love Murkrow's witch theme that Honchkrow loses upon evolution. I use Eviolite prankster Murkrow in place of Honchkrow in later gens.

Back