• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you view the 'battles' in pokemon as a kid?

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
  • Might as well add this under 'general pokemon'.....since battles are part of all pokemon media anyways xD

Sorta wondering. I wonder if there were some people who, even though they liked pokemon, were a little sensitive about the fighting or 'didn't understand it' much.

Probably not, but thats fine too xD I think I mostly didn't understand it till I became a pokemon fan myself (i relise its some way they get stronger now, they don't really get hurt, and battles help trainers and pokemon to bond). But I was always a super sensitive kid, so I could get squeamish about things i dibbed 'violent' at times.

Although, I did love sailor moon and the powerpuff girls. But I also didn't understand the charm of my old powerpuff girls fighting game (at least, not till i got really into playing it more and found out it was pretty darn 'fun'), nor did i really like buttercup much xD;

I also wonder if you had parents that didn't approve of you watching pokemon due to the fighting too O.o

Heh. Interesting thread idea, this is, isn't it? Being as pokemon battles as a whole interest me, couldn't resist making some new thread themed on them lol

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Years
  • they fascinated the heck out of me

but that's mostly because i was kinda into the anime when i was a kid.

Thats pretty cool. :3

Pokemon battles in general are pretty fascinating. Reading people's fan theories on them can be pretty fun too. Have you ever been on a pokemon page called 'the cave of dragonflies'? The owner's entries on that site about how pokemon battles and pokemon training work are neat, you may want to check them out sometime!

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Oh, I loved the battles. Specially linked battles against friends. The whole concept of finding and choosing an handful of your favorite monsters out of hundreds, and training them to battle against your friends was the coolest thing as a kid. Everyone tried to have their own unique team. And it was always fun when someone decided to pick and train some that most people didn't really care about and ended up being surprisingly useful.

Did I understand how it all worked at the beginning? No, it took a while. Was I sensitive about the violence? No, not really. I guess that, at the end of the day, kids do realize that it's a videogame. And the Pokémon don't really die in battle anyway. They faint and can be cured again and again.

LadyJirachu

Years
  • Having autism, things like 'games' felt more real to me as a child....xD; I have more sense that it's a game now as a grown woman though.

But, in general, I wasn't too sensitive to the whole battle concept when I started playing at age 12. Training Pokemon was actually pretty fun, and being team mates with them, and in general I liked that they didn't die :3

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I liked that they felt like actual strategic fights, instead of the bland asspulls I routinely saw in the anime.

Years
  • I never cared about the actual battles themselves, but the strategic element was always interesting to me. I know I've seen Pokemon described as an 18-way game of rock-paper-scissors, and while there's a lot more to it than that, it isn't a completely inaccurate assessment.

Maybe it's because Pokemon across most forms of media is still a brightly colored cartoon, but I've never likened it to real-world equivalents of animal fighting, especially when you think of some attacks that Pokemon use that would never be possible in reality. I understand why some might not be a fan, but it's too far in the realm of fantasy for me to even be remotely bothered by it.

Back