• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Why can't you use flags above 200?

I think he meant below 0x200.
But, it generally depends on which flags are vacant, and the rom you're using.
I suggest you look up the archive of used flags in XSE's in-built guide.
Yes I meant below xD I made a stupid mistake...
The reason is that flags below 200 are mostly used. So it's advisable to use flags above 200.

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
Years
Can anybody help me?

When i talk to the npc in the game nothing pops up. I just get the sound when you talk to the npc. But no chat box?

You would should append the script so that we can help you.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
But I'm not using any scripts that are already in the game..

It doesn't matter any flag you use in one script generally affects its use in another script, so if you set a flag, it's perminantly set, and by the way, almost all flags under 1000 are used, so just use a four character flag where 0 isn't the first character. So
1A3F and B3F6 and 1356
and so on all work as long as it's not like:
123 or 03B5 or FD3 or 09F4
Oh i mean any hex number under 1000 not decimal, so even 1300 in decimal won't work, if you don't know what the difference between hex and decimal is, no offense, but go away and learn, or check out my tutorial.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
It doesn't matter any flag you use in one script generally affects its use in another script, so if you set a flag, it's perminantly set, and by the way, almost all flags under 1000 are used, so just use a four character flag where 0 isn't the first character. So
and so on all work as long as it's not like:
Oh i mean any hex number under 1000 not decimal, so even 1300 in decimal won't work, if you don't know what the difference between hex and decimal is, no offense, but go away and learn, or check out my tutorial.
I know that it would affect another script in the game, I am keeping track of what flags I use.

Now, I kinda understand, if you use a checkflag that has one in the game already, it could mess up? Is there anyway to clear every flag/script?

EDIT: And I do know what the difference is between Hex and Decimal...

Last edited:

Echidna

Years
Maybe through complex hex editting or ASM editting but the only way to do that in normal hacking is by making a level script maybe at the plyer's home, where you clear everylast flag one by one, that's like 1400 flags, or more, but I don't see why, just use a flag above 1000. And visit the flag section in my tutorial, i don't remember if it's in part 1 or part 2, but go there, and you'll find a list of all used flags in each game. OK????
If you need any more help, I'll be at your service any time.

EDIT : I'm sorry to have doubted your skills, I just said that in case you didn't know. Again sorry.

Echidna

Years
XSE has an in-built guide with an archive of used flags. Just avoid the used flags and I think you should be fine.

You could do that too. But why go through all that trouble when you have like 50000 flags above a thousand and you have an easy time of memorizing the last flag you used when it has a base number of 1 9as in 1003, 1045, 1EF6) Now one, and i mean no one has ever been able to use 1000 flags in one hack, let alone 50000. Any ways you could do what binary said, that comletely works too.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
This tutorial is incredible.
INCREDIBLY helpful.

Thankyou so much! :3

Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2011
How do I find the offset I use at the beginning? I'm confident in my scripting ability, except for this certain point...

smilewolfy

pokemon photographer
Years
Can someone please help me, when i step on a script tyle, it activates fine and moves my character to where i want it to go, but i put another apply movement after that for a different sprite and the sprite doesn't move, the game just continues with the dialogue, and i also used hidesprite but it doesn't hide the sprite, i have the correct person event number aswell but it's not working
edit:nvm, it turns out the person's number has to be less than ten, but how do make an event only happen once

Last edited:

Echidna

Years
use flags, at the end of the script set a flag, and at the beginning of the script check if the flag has been set and if it is, use the if command to take the script to another offset. This is how it'll look
#dynamic 0x<FSF OFFSET>

#org @start
checkflag 0x<FLAG NUMBER>
if 0x1 goto @1
command 1
command 2
bla bla bla
setflag 0x<FLAG NUMBER>
end

#org @l
release
end

OK????

EDIT: and for the [ applymovement ] prob, always remember to use [ waitmovement 0x0 ] after each applymovement command unless you want the two movements to happen at the same time.
I hope this helped

smilewolfy

pokemon photographer
Years
Thank you very much, i appreciate your help, and one more thing, sorry to annoy everyone with my questions, but i'm a little confused about the dynamic offsets, they're the things that you start the script off with at the top right? Um do you need a different offset for each event or just the same offset the whole game, and if so, the random people you meet who do nothing but talk about their lives, they only need the same offset, is that right, and also what do the offsets range from, like 0x8000 and up i'm guessing, sorry for the long post, and thankyou to anyone who answers my questions

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Ive been searching for a tutorial in making rival scripts

i knw its a mix of battle and apply movement can u make a small tutorial in doing this?

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2011
Ive been searching for a tutorial in making rival scripts

i knw its a mix of battle and apply movement can u make a small tutorial in doing this?

As in making a script that involves battling your rival and him moving away afterwards?

Back