• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I just leave my phone alone if I think I won't be needing anything special... not exactly feeling like rooting or flashing a custom ROM when it already does what I want it to do.

Looking at Asus's 200- (Intel) and 300-series (AMD) ROG Strix motherboards is making me want one... I think I definitely need all the CPU I can get now. The Strix B250H seems to go pretty well with an i7-7700...

Shame I want anime goods for my birthday

Years
  • I'm still trying to get my hands on G-Skill's new RGB Ram series....those things look REALLY dope. I can't wait to finally get my new PC built so I can turn this old one into a poverty machine.

Years
  • I've repurposed an old desktop into a server, but it's now pretty much sitting turned on and collecting dust now that I have my own VPS.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I have tried once to make my laptop as a server years ago for testing purposes, but I stopped when I learned that the server needs to stay online for long. I guess laptops are not quite suited to be one.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I have tried once to make my laptop as a server years ago for testing purposes, but I stopped when I learned that the server needs to stay online for long. I guess laptops are not quite suited to be one.

A dedicated box with its own UPS sounds more suitable, eh?

I kind of want a new TV for myself...

Years
  • I kind of want a new TV for myself...
    Don't have one for your own? If you don't mind shipping and NTSC standard, I can give you one. :P

(Seriously, I have several TVs in my room)

Anyways, after a week of getting a new wireless adapter for my desktop (dual band and AC support), in addition to using an extender for some damn good speeds, I still think I need to get a router to supplement my ISP's gateway. The speeds can grow unstable, and one simple obstacle and/or movement of the unit can cause those speeds to really dwindle.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • That reminds me. I think the wifi card in my previous laptop is gradually dying, if that's possible. I can barely pick up a signal in my room now even when it's the only wi-fi enabled device turned on, whilst my other, newer devices are doing fine.

thanks yet again windows updates

Years
  • That reminds me. I think the wifi card in my previous laptop is gradually dying, if that's possible. I can barely pick up a signal in my room now even when it's the only wi-fi enabled device turned on, whilst my other, newer devices are doing fine.

thanks yet again windows updates
    It could be possible that the antennae for the WiFi card in your laptop just went bad from excessive motion, or any other factors. The antennae on an internal WiFi card (in laptops) are quite flimsy and need to be positioned very precisely to properly work.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • It could be possible that the antennae for the WiFi card in your laptop just went bad from excessive motion, or any other factors. The antennae on an internal WiFi card (in laptops) are quite flimsy and need to be positioned very precisely to properly work.

Awh heck, that could very well be the case, then. It wasn't even great to begin with when I first got it, but it's now only a laptop that I use when at home, so I suppose I could switch over to an ethernet connection instead.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • So my next project may be fixing a Samsung S6 Edge - a friend of mine got an S8 and is giving me his old phone that seems to be having some technical issues to fix up and keep. I wonder how well this will go, because if I can fix it, I'll probably use it as my daily device if I can get Lineage OS onto it.

Isn't it a little bit tricky to get inside a device like that? Especially the screen...

Raffy98

Years
  • How do you think it gets done at service centers? Pretty sure Jordan can work with it!

Yes, I was sure he could, in fact, I'm not questioning if he can or can't otherwise he wouldn't even attempt that. I was just curious about how it gets done since I'm afraid of tinkering with devices like that. {XD} I just expressed myself badly.

Years
  • Yes, I was sure he could, in fact, I'm not questioning if he can or can't otherwise he wouldn't even attempt that. I was just curious about how it gets done since I'm afraid of tinkering with devices like that. {XD} I just expressed myself badly.
    More often than not it involves ordering parts from the manufacturer (such as the screen), or taking stuff apart and re-seating it carefully.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Finally bit the bullet and bought myself a 2 TB WD Blue HDD, a Wacom Intuos drawing tablet, and a 650VA APC UPS.

Some of them are direly needed at this point... low storage, too many blackouts...

And I guess I don't need a tablet PC now when a drawing tablet probably will work fine for my purposes.

Years
  • Finally bit the bullet and bought myself a 2 TB WD Blue HDD, a Wacom Intuos drawing tablet, and a 650VA APC UPS.

Some of them are direly needed at this point... low storage, too many blackouts...

And I guess I don't need a tablet PC now when a drawing tablet probably will work fine for my purposes.
    Sounds like a good round of purchases!

The UPS is really good as well, and I recommend using APC's PowerChute as well if you haven't already installed it.

Raffy98

Years
  • UPSs are really useful, I'm glad I got one last summer.

Years
  • I should try getting some computer parts or see if someone has some lying around that they could part ways with. I really need to get my mom using a computer that actually works worth a crap. :/
    Out of curiosity, what's her current setup now?

Years
  • Today I got a new gaming keyboard! It's a Masione VMJ-05, and I got it on Amazon for $20, which is a sale price. So far, the keyboard seems nice, and I do like the seven colors you can cycle through on the backlight. However, I will say that some keys do appear darker than others.

It's not the best one, but it's something I could recommend as an affordable gaming keyboard.

Years
  • Well, I'm about to hit max on my free iCloud storage allocation. At least they are cheaper for 50 GB/month than OneDrive (whom I already pay monthly for to have more cloud storage).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back