• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fakémon, from a writing perspective

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
  • ORIGINAL CHARACTER DONUT STEEL!!!!one

Yes, well, Fakémon are a thing.

For those in this fandom somehow not in the know, a Fakémon is a higher-level OC concept, basically an entire Original Species of Pokémon rather than merely an original character. There are a few notable ones in the already niche-of-a-niche of Fakémon in Pokémon fan media, for example I could cite The Quest for the Legends' Chalenor (for whom I somehow can't find a bio, but the main site contains an art gallery with a portrayal), ky-nim's Vahirom (a Reshiram-Zekrom fusion), etc.

So, to make a long story short - when we meet these Pokémon it is usually either in the scopt of fangames, where they are made to function according to the engine's mechanics, or in the context of fanart pieces. Sometimes we see them in writing, and that's where it gets interesting. As a writer, you likely can't assume that your reader already knows what a "Veniamon" looks like (no, it's not a Digimon I swear) or acts like, the same way you can assume they know what an Arcanine looks like or acts like... which means you have to introduce them to your audience the same way in the least you'd introduce a new completely original character or a very important original location.

Since I am currently (someone date this post so they can smack me later) gathering my notes on a few Fakémon designs of my own, here's a discussion of interest:

What do you expect to see of a Fakémon in a Pokémon story, in writing? How do you expect them to be introduced, narratively used and (if it so applies) balanced? Have you identified clichés or tropes relating to Fakémon, in particular in writing? How much "non-screenplay" information do you need of them or do you think is sensible to provide (bios, stats, general descriptions, analogues) in order to form what you'd feel is a well-formed mental image of them that you can follow through the story?

And for those of you who are in the business of Fakémon, what is your creative process like? What are your inspirations? How do you go about giving (or not) a feel to your creatures that they do are (or would be) Pokémon, a sense that they "fit"?

I do plan to release a few designs later during the year (I'm actually hoping to land some sort of trade with people at the Art Studio, since my drawing skills are at the xkcd level minus the charm) but before that I wanted to get a feel of how other people do, the why of if they do, and what things do they expect other people to do, or not do.

Years
  • I honestly wouldn't treat them any differently to a canon Pokemon. It makes little sense setting-wise to draw an unnecessary amount of attention to fakemon.

Back