• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Hidden Ties

What do you think of the storyline?

• Epic! One of the best I've seen!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Great, it's looking pretty good!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Mediocre, could definitely be better.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • An embarrassment to hackers everywhere.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dry

Team Rocket Elite No. 16
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2011
I just thought that recognition of your efforts would be due seeing as u have put much time into this.
People should look at this and be amazed at what you have been able to do.

People dont look at the mona lisa and go well its not that good i could take a photo and it would look much better, they respect the artist and his creation. I believe that people should do the same for you.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
I just thought that recognition of your efforts would be due seeing as u have put much time into this.
People should look at this and be amazed at what you have been able to do.

People dont look at the mona lisa and go well its not that good i could take a photo and it would look much better, they respect the artist and his creation. I believe that people should do the same for you.
Well thanks! I appreciate the compliment, though I wouldn't compare my hack to the Mona Lisa :P
And now, without further ado, I give you.... ALPHA 1! I'm sticking the download on the first post, be sure to tell me what you think! Before playing, please read the known bugs list and notes on gameplay. Enjoy!

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Hey, I tested the alpha. Quickly.

Good job so far, here are my notes:
Spoiler:

Now, I can't sprite for you, at least not this week. I have 3 stupid essays and a test, and what is more, I have to go full throttle on my own hack, in order to have it released soon.

But when I get to spriting, first thing you'll get will be a ralts/gardevoir OW D:

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Hey, I tested the alpha. Quickly.

Good job so far, here are my notes:
Spoiler:

Now, I can't sprite for you, at least not this week. I have 3 stupid essays and a test, and what is more, I have to go full throttle on my own hack, in order to have it released soon.

But when I get to spriting, first thing you'll get will be a ralts/gardevoir OW D:
LOL, yeah, mine are really bad, aren't they :\
Yup, there are some tile errors I need to fix... thanks for pointing those out. The difficulty level goes down a bit after Pike Peaks, it's just the initial training that gets kind of tedious (especially with Ralts...). It gets hard again with the first Yaesu Elite, but he's optional anyway.
And you couldn't walk past those tiles in the original games, as far as I can remember (could be wrong). Plus, those tiles all have 20 as the background byte, so they're covered by the character, and I don't want to mess with them on Block editor just yet...
Anyway, I'll see about fixing that shading. Sounds like your hack is coming along well, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years
Yeah, I also played the first Alpha. It was pretty good, till my rival KO'd me with his Cyndaquil. :P I spent a good amount of time rushing through the BETA, so I didn't find too much differing from what the other guy said (Though, Sneasel's a good addition on my team.)

And speaking of Sneasel, you said Weavile was going to be in the game...Any ideas on how you're going to make it evolve?

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Yeah, I also played the first Alpha. It was pretty good, till my rival KO'd me with his Cyndaquil. :P I spent a good amount of time rushing through the BETA, so I didn't find too much differing from what the other guy said (Though, Sneasel's a good addition on my team.)

And speaking of Sneasel, you said Weavile was going to be in the game...Any ideas on how you're going to make it evolve?
Sneasel will evolve through standard level-up, as will all Pokemon that previously needed to be traded for evolution (except Slowking, who is obtained by Water Stone). Umbreon and Espeon evolve through the use of Moon and Sun stone, respectively, and I'll be messing around with Feebas' evolution later.
So, what does this hack need more of, do you think? Or less, I suppose.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I just finished the alpha!
(almost... I lost against shade)
were you supposed to catch the sneasel?
Anyway, good job!:D

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
I just finished the alpha!
(almost... I lost against shade)
were you supposed to catch the sneasel?
Anyway, good job!:D
Thanks. Capturing Sneasel is optional, you can catch it, kill it, or even run away from it (though I recommend one of the first two, running away sort of messes up the storyline).
Glad you enjoyed it! And yeah, Shade is very hard to beat, as he should be. It never made sense to me in these official games how the Gym Leaders are the best of the best, but somehow always several levels behind you o_0.
For Shade, I recommend using Gastly to put his Pokemon to sleep, and Cyndaquil to lay down smokescreens on the tougher Pokemon in his party, which is how I eventually beat him.
So, I'll be getting to work on Beta 1 any day now. I'm planning on adding a feature or two, most notably the elimination of Rock Smash as an HM move (and possibly Strength or Cut too). Flash is going to be eliminated by the simple expedient that I'm not going to make any dark caves, because I hate Flash.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Okay, new update. I've written out chapter four of the storyline/fanfic, and will post that at the start of the thread. I've got some awesome events planned out for Team Rocket and a familiar figure in a new role, and have confirmed the first (and probably only) Fakemon to be inserted to Hidden Ties, a Pokemon named Arnatos.
Giradialkia has been working like crazy to help me get stuff done, so I'd like to say thanks again to him. As soon as the latest insertions are complete, it's back to scripting for me. Oh, and just so you all know, I think I've worked out that issue I was having with the map connections, though I'm still not going to use any with an offset other than zero, because I'm a coward :P
Now, the stuff in this hack is going to be awesome, but it would be even more awesome if someone with some ASM savvy could help out. Just a few events that would be a little better with some ASM help.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Is their supposed to be some sort of event in the utopia hq? I was kinda hoping for a event of some sort of event.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Is their supposed to be some sort of event in the utopia hq? I was kinda hoping for a event of some sort of event.
The Utopia HQ is a clue in the storyline, not necessarily a major event, but if you look in all the houses, you'll find a notebook outlining what occurred there. Mostly you're just supposed to be creeped out ;)
We've been running into technical difficulties, but should have this hack back on track within the next year.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
Years
At first... I hated the look of this hack, Mainly because of its horrible pals, and Now I have seen the updated nice maps and the glorious story.. WELL DONE! It is actually a great idea!

Dry

Team Rocket Elite No. 16
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2011
Dude havnt played it yet but ur review are mostly good eyy? ill get round to it soon
i think the difficulty from the sounds of it is perfect nice and harsh haha

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Lol, there were a lot of people who hated those palletes (I thought they were fine, but I'm colorblind anyway :P). First rule of capitalism: do what the customer wants. It helped that my rom blew up and I had to start over anyway.
Well, speaking of explosions, we are having some major problems with email right now, to the point where I can't get the latest patch back from sprite insertion so that I can get back to work. We're working around that, and again, should be back on track by next week, probably sooner.
In the meantime, I've prepared chapter five of the storyline for you all, hope you enjoy! It can be found on the first post (duh).

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Alright, technical problems have been resolved and I'm back to work! Not only that, but Giradialkia made another awesome teaser userbar. Here's a preview, to put it in your sig just go to page 1:
2db5nxu.png

I should note that I'll be using this one in my signature for awhile and not the other two, not because the other two aren't as good, but as a sort of plot advancer. Basically, my signature doesn't have room for three HT support bars, so I'll be rotating which one I use.
@Link, yes, Gardevoir is awful :(
Oh, I really need a world mapper/inserter right now. I went ahead and threw together the basic layout of the region, I need someone to make a quality map and insert it for me. Any volunteers?

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Here you go, the ows that you have requested have been indexed, and zipped.
*fail*

Last edited:

Dry

Team Rocket Elite No. 16
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2011
Oh Trebornosliw can i be official reviewer? lol i dno ill be harsh and have high standereds you can give me a critque chart thing that i will use and ill be like a beta testerbut ill be looking more for how the story unfolds ect.

oh and i downloaded it ima go play now XD!

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Thanks NiKa! I'll insert these right away. Thanks a lot for being so patient with me :\
And Dry, you can do that if you want... I mean, everyone can do that. I'd be happy to take any constructive criticism.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Okay! So there are a couple of updates. First, NiKaNoRoU's awesome new OW sprites for Gardevoir and Ralts have been inserted! Check them out under screenshots.
Second, I've finished another chapter of the storyline! Unfortunately, I've also exceeded my word limit for the first post :(. So what I'm going to do, is start a new thread under fanfics just for the in-depth storyline. I'll post a link once the thread is up and running.
Progress is moving smoothly, but it'll be awhile before Beta 1 is ready; I'm adding an event to the storyline that I think (and hope) everyone will find very interesting, an event with heavy involvement from a familiar face. This event will also unlock some novel features, including an alternate Rock Smash method that I'm still testing, and will allow you to meet the first of the Yaesu Emblem Holders. Anyway, things are going great! Keep telling me how to improve, and I'll do my best to make this project better!
Oh, I'm still looking for a world mapper/inserter, if anyone's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back