• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Hidden Ties

What do you think of the storyline?

• Epic! One of the best I've seen!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Great, it's looking pretty good!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Mediocre, could definitely be better.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • An embarrassment to hackers everywhere.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
  • Dude, you're praising me too much, stop it :tired:

Anyway, I'm glad that they work correctly. Next ones will be teh Hero's OWs!

Dry

Team Rocket Elite No. 16
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    OFFICIAL REVIEW TIME: [ Not really but i picked up on a few things...:p]
    Human frontier the top tiles of the tree includes you when u walk on it for some reason.(which tree ? the one that is down the stairs then up another set.)

Sneasel may need to be edited, as 42 exp gives one level to level 5. and he is generally easy to level apposed to Other Starters.
    And has very good stats. So you can ride on the back of sneasel all game. ( i did this)

Noticed that the Utopia was very largely based on Cerulean City not just the inside of the houses but there positions
    Also one door doesnt work in there might be a Movement permission that may have been over looked.

The middle of nowhere sign in pokecentre may need to be rethinked with like a supplie stall you use to heal your pokemon.

Convoluted - nice Use of the english language...or pherhaps a theaserus?

Music is the same as normal Fire red which is fine the errie music works for frontier town as it is the edge of exploration.

DO NOT READ SPOILER IF YOU HAVE NOT BEATEN SHADOW - may be Deleted if the owner wishes it that way...
    Spoiler:

The prize you get for beating him is Good as for so early in the game.

Also i like the fact in the utopia you could hear Gastlys Cry throughout it.
    The starter choosing is really unique. along with the chansey pokecenter cave part. Also 2nd gen pokemon through out the grass ( you have alot of grass) is good.

Overall 7/10 ( Its really well done and i would like to see more but the unique style wears off when you begin travelling alot, still unique though )

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks for the report then, sounds like I need to slow down Sneasel's leveling some :\
    Shade is more of a challenge if you're training three or four Pokemon, like I did. He's a side quest though, so the item reward is fine for that. I'll make him a bit tougher too (though that'll happen automatically later in the game).
    I didn't use a thesaurus, but I'll take that as a compliment :P
    As for the tree issue, that's some problem with the movement permissions, I think. I'll try changing them to 0 instead of 10 or 14, see if that helps. I ran into that bug earlier too.
    Now, Utopia.
    The blocked door is supposed to be unopenable. As a matter of fact, door warps still work with a movement permission of 1, there's just no warp there. It's supposed to be a signpost reading "Something is blocking this door from the inside, it's impossible to budge." I'll probably insert a script there or something. The house layout was completely random, btw. That wasn't the old Cerulean map, it was Rock Tunnel 0.o
    ...and what's this about Gastly's cry?
    The abandoned Pokemon center is just there to be creepy, and because I didn't want the player to be teleported all the way back to Hallowed Grove if he/she lost a battle.
    I hadn't even checked the music... probably want to change it up for Frontier town. I always play on mute :s
    As for the tedium, well, that's the story, really. You're out on the edge of civilization, there's not much to see. It'll get better as you advance further into the region.

And NiKa, thanks a bunch for everything, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the hero (that is, presuming you decide to be a hero and not a villain...)!

Years
  • Gastly's cry isn't a bug or anything, dude. In any of the 3rd gen games, every once in a while you can hear the cry of any Pokemon that's in the Wild Pokemon data of that map. If you roamed around the Utopia long enough, you'd hear Shuppets and Duskulls, too:)

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Gastly's cry isn't a bug or anything, dude. In any of the 3rd gen games, every once in a while you can hear the cry of any Pokemon that's in the Wild Pokemon data of that map. If you roamed around the Utopia long enough, you'd hear Shuppets and Duskulls, too:)
    0.o
    Seriously? That's awesome! I never knew that!
    I really have nothing else to say...

Vannah☆

Spriter
    Years
  • Amazing alpha. I ended up with lvl 18 gastly, lvl 15 nidoran, lvl 14 sneasel, lvl 16 pidgey, and lvl 14 quilava. Amazing storyline. Cool game. Other than changing the tileset, hero OW, and text (for example when you die, chansey says the same thing Mom normally would, etc.) I think It's perfect.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks Vannah. The hero sprites are currently being created, the tileset...well frankly tile inserting is not my strong point, and the last rombase I tried didn't work out. If you've got some suggestions, please feel free to let me know what they are. As for the Mom text, yeah, that's an issue, but I'm not sure where to find the offset for that particular script, or even how to edit it without glitching up the game. If anyone knows the answer, that'd be really helpful.
    ...that's a pretty strong team. I'll probably have to make Shade a bit tougher for the next release.

Dry

Team Rocket Elite No. 16
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Hope that was constructive it is an awsome game i was just bein like heaps harsh tryin to find the wrong points ... cause if i was too nice u wuld just be like oh ok i dnt need to improve it at all.. were as harsh-ness will hopefully motivate u to improve with each release..

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I just have to post something, because I am PSYCHED :D
    I've hit that rare moment in scripting when you're working hard, you've got the basic knowledge down pat, and suddenly you realize a miracle has occured;
    EVERYTHING IS WORKING!
    Seriously, every single script is turning out beautifully, every last detail falling into place, which has never, ever happened before. Most of the mapping for Beta 1 is done already, and I'm scripting like my virtual XSE pants are on fire. Progress on Beta 1 is around 50%, I'll keep you updated. This beta will consist primarily of some major side missions, optional stuff, really, with a key storyline event thrown in as well. I'll have screenshots and a few more storyline chapters for you in about a week, I think.

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
    Years
  • I just have to post something, because I am PSYCHED :D
    I've hit that rare moment in scripting when you're working hard, you've got the basic knowledge down pat, and suddenly you realize a miracle has occured;
    EVERYTHING IS WORKING!
    Seriously, every single script is turning out beautifully, every last detail falling into place, which has never, ever happened before. Most of the mapping for Beta 1 is done already, and I'm scripting like my virtual XSE pants are on fire. Progress on Beta 1 is around 50%, I'll keep you updated. This beta will consist primarily of some major side missions, optional stuff, really, with a key storyline event thrown in as well. I'll have screenshots and a few more storyline chapters for you in about a week, I think.

Haha, I know that feeling, dude. After a while when you get used to using a huge amount of the commands it almost becomes second nature. And congrats on the progress, dude. I want to see what you came up with when you're finished.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Alright, a quick progress update and announcement. I just finished scripting the first really major side quest in the game, as well as the replacement for the Rock Smash HM (you can still obtain the HM, but there's really no point in using it). I like to flatter myself in that I think it's a rather original replacement. It's not a key item or anything like that. I also didn't just remove all the smashable rocks, which I know you sarcastic ones are thinking >:(
    Anyway, I also would like to thank Chrunch for becoming Hidden Ties' first (and probably last), mapper other than myself. He's good at what he does, and you'll see what I mean next beta.
    ...and that's about it. More as it comes up!

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Alright, everything's proceeding fairly smoothly. There were a couple of scripts that refused to cooperate, but they have been...dealt with...
    Anyhoo, I'm including a lot of canon characters in the storyline, in completely different roles than what you'd normally see, so I've decided to post some quick bios of a few of these characters for you all to check out. I will NOT be posting these at the beginning of the thread, due to word limits.
    So, the first bio:
    Bruno
    Spoiler:

Bruno will be a major NPC for the upcoming side mission. He's changed his party around a little bit, retaining all three of the Hitmonlee/chan/top trio he trained at various points in his career, and making a brand-new addition to his already devastating party as well. What is that addition? Come next Beta, you may find out (though I'll be honest and say I doubt it, for reasons you'll also discover).

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Hm. Feedback on that was disturbingly nonexistent. And for some reason my thread seems to have attracted some noobspamming...
    Oh well. My uber-inspiration streak has worn off, sadly, but I'm still plugging away, working towards the next release. I've got some ideas for another fun event, and another character bio to post. I've also posted a new chapter in the storyline, so be sure to check out that thread! There's a link in my sig.

Wigglytuff
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Hm. Feedback on that was disturbingly nonexistent. And for some reason my thread seems to have attracted some noobspamming...
    Oh well. My uber-inspiration streak has worn off, sadly, but I'm still plugging away, working towards the next release. I've got some ideas for another fun event, and another character bio to post. I've also posted a new chapter in the storyline, so be sure to check out that thread! There's a link in my sig.

Wigglytuff
    Spoiler:
    Looking forward to the next beta!
    I can't wait to see my maps ingame.:)

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    0.o
    I seriously underestimated the amount of scripting I'd need to do for Beta 1. I guess I hadn't really thought about it...
    Oh well, everything's proceeding smoothly and at a fast pace, there's just a lot more to do than I originally thought. Still, I'm about ninety percent done with the mapping (thanks in part to Chrunch, thanks again! I blew up your map a few minutes ago, but it's okay, I fixed it again), and forty percent done with the scripting. If anyone had an idea for a side mission that they'd like to see next beta, now's the time to submit it.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    UPDATE: Posted two new maps, Theophilus Gardens and Chrunch's route, now named Battler's Route. Check them out on the first post, and be sure to comment!

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Okay, another update real quick. Beta 1 is largely finished. The mapping is 100% done, and the scripting is about 80% done (I have a massive side event to script, and then it'll be ready). That's the good news. The bad news is that I won't be able to work on it from March 6-10th, because I'm going to Washington DC and won't be bringing my computer. So hang in there, I'll be back to work as soon as I get back.
    Oh, if anyone's interested in giving me a homecoming present, I really need want a team rocket grunt lying down, maybe with his hat askew, to replace the napping geezer. Anyone who can help with that, I'd really appreciate it.
    Oh, and I apologize, I have once again attempted to do some of my own OWs (please don't lynch me). But it's okay. These turned out far better than the infamous Gardevoir attempt (well, mostly...how do you feel about giant man-eating Chatot sprites?).

Years
  • Okay, another update real quick. Beta 1 is largely finished. The mapping is 100% done, and the scripting is about 80% done (I have a massive side event to script, and then it'll be ready). That's the good news. The bad news is that I won't be able to work on it from March 6-10th, because I'm going to Washington DC and won't be bringing my computer. So hang in there, I'll be back to work as soon as I get back.
    Oh, if anyone's interested in giving me a homecoming present, I really need want a team rocket grunt lying down, maybe with his hat askew, to replace the napping geezer. Anyone who can help with that, I'd really appreciate it.
    Oh, and I apologize, I have once again attempted to do some of my own OWs (please don't lynch me). But it's okay. These turned out far better than the infamous Gardevoir attempt (well, mostly...how do you feel about giant man-eating Chatot sprites?).

I WANT MAN EATING CHATOT.
    Lol, jk. I'll give the Rocket Man (heh) a shot, you'll hear from me wh... Bleh. Words can be so tedious.
    It's nice to see that the beta is nearly done, you certainly make good progress, Treb.
    Where is everybody? C'mon, guys! Post and stuff!

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I WANT MAN EATING CHATOT.
    Lol, jk. I'll give the Rocket Man (heh) a shot, you'll hear from me wh... Bleh. Words can be so tedious.
    It's nice to see that the beta is nearly done, you certainly make good progress, Treb.
    Where is everybody? C'mon, guys! Post and stuff!
    Lol, I know! I think more people will become interested once I have a beta release. Thanks for giving the sprite a shot, btw, though I feel kind of bad, since you've done so much already...
    Oh well, self-induced slavery is fine, I guess, if it is self-induced :D
    And I just realized that just about sixty percent of the beta is optional. Well, no, actually about eighty percent, really. I don't really force the player to do much in this hack...so yeah, exploring a lot is a good idea.
    Anyway, I'll be back in a few. Thanks again Gira!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back