• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good Poison Type Team?

Grim Reminder

That guy who likes Poison Type
Years
Anyone got any good ideas for a UU/NU Poison Type team? Poison is my favorite type so I thought I'd build a team, any input for good members/moves etc. ?

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
We arent here to build a team for you, you have to build a team and we rate it for you.

Grim Reminder

Years
Anyway, here's my team, all UU/NU..

Nidoking-Lead (80 HP/252 Sp.Atk/176 Spd)
Modest-Poison Point-Focus Sash
Earth Power
Ice Beam
Taunt
Stealth Rock

He's hopefully gonna be able to take what some of the other leads can throw at him, then depending on the opposing Pokemon, either attack or set up Taunt or Stealth Rock. Defensive leads are stalled by Taunt or allow set up of Stealth Rock.

Muk-Tank (252 HP/68 Atk/188 Sp.Def)
Adamant-Sticky Hold-Black Sludge
Gunk Shot
Brick Break
Ice Punch
Giga Drain

Just a tank, he'll be aimed to sponge attacks and return the favor with a pretty decent type coverage.

Weezing-Physical Wall (252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Atk)
Bold-Levitate-Leftovers
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Haze
Pain Split

A good physical wall, and the Ground Type immunity comes in handy too, Pain Split is a safer alternative to Rest in this case and the rest is clear I guess.

Toxicroak-Swords Dancer (252 Atk/4 Sp.Def 252 Spd)
Adamant-Dry Skin-Life Orb
Swords Dance
Cross Chop
Poison Jab
Stone Edge

I opted out of Sucker Punch in favor of 2 STAB moves and Stone Edge for more coverage. For better or for worse? You decide.

Venusaur-Special Attacker (4 Def/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd.)
Modest-Overgrow-Leftovers
Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Power
Synthesis

With the High Sp.Atk, Venusaur can cause problems for any types that don't resist his 2 STAB moves, shouldn't need much explanation.

Drapion-Swords Dancer (252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd)
Jolly-Sniper-Scope Lens
Swords Dance
Night Slash
Earthquake
Cross Poison

Swords Dance + High Crit. Moves + Scope Lens is just great, not to mention STAB on the high crit. attacks.

Well, there it is I guess..I'm kinda bad at explaining stuff..but let me know what you think. n_n

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

Years
Wow dude, I see you have a HORRIBLE weakness to Alakazam rofl. Nothing stops Psychics coming your way and sweeping you. Any EQ user also thrashes you, if its carrying an a attack that can nail Venusaur. But seriously fix your bad bad bad bad Alakazam weak.

Grim Reminder

Years
Point taken. I suppose a few more Psychic type counter attacks could be useful, and I can probably stand to swap out Qwilfish for Weezing for Ground type immunity and an all around good physical walling. Then to adress the Alakazam issue I can swap Seviper for Drapion or Skuntank.

Sound good? and Thanks for the feedback.

Fire Wolf

Years
Anything that uses Psychic AND Ground moves used mash! Your team fainted!
Seriously dude, monotype teams fail.

Grim Reminder

Years
Meh, your opinion doesn't really matter to me, and furthermore if someone DID happen to show up with Psychic and Ground type moves, I'd hit them hard and if I failed to beat them, then oh well, I guess my monotype team wasn't a match for Pokemon with type advantageous moves. But hey, there's always next time.

Fire Wolf

Years
If my opinion doesnt matter to you, why did you even make this thread? To say people that you aren't taking criticism? Seriously, grow up. Learn to take criticism. If you aren't changing your team from a fail one to a good one, then you shouldnt even have made this thread. Even you said that "Let me know what you think". So sir, please grow up and learn to take criticism. By going monotype, you're just making your team Psychic/Earthquake/metagame weak.

Years
The only monotype teams that have the slightest chance of working are water and even they need at least 2 non water support pokemon. Add 2 pokemon that will benefit your poison pokemon to your team like something that will wall alakazam (chansey/tomb) and revenge rhyperior (sceptile).

Grim Reminder

Years
If you gave criticism other than "monotypes fail" or "your team gets owned by alakazam rofl" then maybe I would accept your criticism, and besides saying things like "monotypes fail" isn't criticism in the slightest, it's just rude. Next, I didn't say I wasn't taking criticism from anyone, all I said was that your opinion no longer mattered, so don't go and jump the gun. Next, yeah, I realize that a Poison monotype gets crushed by Psychic and Ground types, I DO know the type match up chart, I thought up this team for fun and out of pure boredom, I wouldn't dream of competing with such a frail type. Last, before you come in saying that the team fails, I realize that, and I would like to remind you it was made with ONLY UU/NU.

The only monotype teams that have the slightest chance of working are water and even they need at least 2 non water support pokemon. Add 2 pokemon that will benefit your poison pokemon to your team like something that will wall alakazam (chansey/tomb) and revenge rhyperior (sceptile).

That's a good point, like I said though up there, this team is in no way built for actual competition, Poison types are all around just too vulnerable to powerful types like Ground and Psychic and even more if you factor in each individual Poison Pokemon's other type assuming they have one.
In any case thanks for not bashing me and for the honest critique, I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
If my opinion doesnt matter to you, why did you even make this thread? To say people that you aren't taking criticism? Seriously, grow up. Learn to take criticism. If you aren't changing your team from a fail one to a good one, then you shouldnt even have made this thread. Even you said that "Let me know what you think". So sir, please grow up and learn to take criticism. By going monotype, you're just making your team Psychic/Earthquake/metagame weak.

God you are so much like Itachi it hurts sometimes.

Anyway, I know the purpose of our forum is to make a person's team as competitively viable as possible, but if someone is going for a theme, we should do our best to help them within their restrictions.

Grim Reminder isn't be unreasonable in anyway. He doesn't like the way you're wording your suggestions Fire Wolf and I'm not either. If you presented your criticisms in a more intelligent manner, I'm sure we wouldn't be having any issues. Instead, you're being rude and using internet lingo, which is never the way to get a serious point across.

Anyway, as Fire Wolf crudely said, monotype teams never work. I too love them but you come to realize you need to use almost-monotype teams in the end. Like Shining Meganium and Fire Wolf said, you need to add something to this team that takes care of Psychic and Ground-type Pokemon and moves.

Spiritomb can handle any UU Psychic Pokemon with ease. I suggest looking at its analysis on Smogon and figuring out what fits your team best. Weezing is a good start to handle Ground-type attacks but immunity would be nice. Since your team lacks Stealth Rock, perhaps Mesprit fits well in here. It also offers another resistance to Psychic and is overall a good Pokemon.

I'm not sure who to replace, but its your team so you can figure it out. Good luck.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Wow, 11 posts and no real rate? Looks like it's my job to do this:

Okay Fire Wolf is right, Psychic and Ground attacks rape you up the butt.

Fortunately, Poisons have plenty of options against both.

Against Psychic: Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, and Pursuit are you best friends. Sucker Punch makes Psychics think twice before attacking you.

Both Toxicroak and Nidoking learn Sucker Punch and both need them on their movesets. There is no debating this. Make Nidoking a physical attacker. It has better physical attack anyways.

Shadow Sneak is like a weaker Sucker Punch, but it works even if your opponent doesn't attack. Muk can learn this move.

Pursuit kills Psychics when they try to switch out. Drapion gets this and needs it along with Night Slash to beat Psychics whether they switch out or stay in. Put it over Swords Dance. You don't need two Poison-type Swords Dancers, that's just redudant.

Against Ground: Venusaur rocks. It's one of the best UUs and also happens to be part Poison. Your Venusaur is a special sweeper, so give it something that helps it sweep i.e. Life Orb.

Drapion is one of the few Poison to learn Aqua Tail. Put it over Cross Poison. Poison attacks suck even if they are STABed.

Working with Poison types is tough, but in UU, Poisons are actually pretty good Pokemon. You don't need non-Poison types if you're using it just for fun. Some people here need to understand that not all RMTs are about standard OU.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Grim Reminder

Years
Thanks, Luke and aragornbird..
Luke: Thanks for helping me with that guy, I'm grateful.
aragornbird: I thank you for the move ideas and for the constructive criticism.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Agreeing with what AB said, and I would also make Muk a CurseMuk

Muk @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Ability: Sticky Hold
-Curse
-Rest
-Shadow Sneak
-Poison Jab

Its a really good set, curse just makes Muk even more of a powerful wall due to its natural bulk.

Everything else looks fine. Unfortunately, Poison is probably the worst attacking type so its not gonna be an easy ride, good luck though!

Years
I don't have any advice about the structure of the team, as such, but here I go.
Firstly, newcomers to the thread are going to appreciate it if you put the team in the first post. That makes it easier to find for everyone.

I also can't help but think that Muk isn't really doing much. It can't hit very hard, and doesn't seem to be a team player.

I'd also be happier with Life Orb > Scope Lens on Drapion and Jolly > Adamant on Toxicroak, as it doesn't have a priority move any more.

Good luck.

Back