• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's a Video Game You Enjoyed Way Back When You First Played it but has Aged Badly?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Making this thread because there was a JRPG on the PS2 that I used to play growing up. It was called Okage: Shadow King. My dad had a TV in his car and whenever we went on road trips I would play Okage for hours. The game is really nostalgic for me in that sense. But last night, I was looking at gameplay for it for the first time in years, and man did that game age terribly, at least aesthetically. Another game I used to play that aged like milk is Yugioh Dungeon Dice Monsters for Game Boy Advance. Go look at the gameplay and try not to laugh 😆

What are some games you guys grew up with that you must admit have aged terribly if you take the nostalgia glasses off?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Only rented a few of these games when young. Experienced a taste, but not the full course until much later.

- Secret of Mana: Programmed hits poorly. Prevents two hits from registering at the same time. (May still kick in later.) Fails to indicate the enemy dodging. Happens a lot with some enemies. Interrupts the game whenever a player selects magic too. Stinks for other players.

- Baldur's Gate: Decides fights in the first few moments. Oscillates between horrible death and domination.

- Early Pokemon games (Probably. Has not played them in ages). Gave a lot of trainers poor team variety.

- Super Mario Kart: Controls much better in later games with proper drifting.

- Super Mario RPG: Why is jumping so loud? Feels a lot more boring without the badge system in Paper Mario games also.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Super Smash Brothers Melee.

I've heard it's the most comfortable when you play it in depth, and sure it probably is. I picked it up to play for a few minutes for some of the events, it feels completely dated from that standpoint.

Years
  • Adventure Quest Worlds. It was one of the first RPGs I got into way back in like 2008 and it was a Flash game. I got the Artix game launcher a couple of weeks ago because I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play all of their old games, Adventure Quest, AQ Worlds, and Dragon Fable, mostly. Adventure Quest and Dragon Fable still have some charm to them but AQ Worlds is pretty much unplayable.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Only rented a few of these games when young. Experienced a taste, but not the full course until much later.

- Secret of Mana: Programmed hits poorly. Prevents two hits from registering at the same time. (May still kick in later.) Fails to indicate the enemy dodging. Happens a lot with some enemies. Interrupts the game whenever a player selects magic too. Stinks for other players.

- Baldur's Gate: Decides fights in the first few moments. Oscillates between horrible death and domination.

- Early Pokemon games (Probably. Has not played them in ages). Gave a lot of trainers poor team variety.

- Super Mario Kart: Controls much better in later games with proper drifting.

- Super Mario RPG: Why is jumping so loud? Feels a lot more boring without the badge system in Paper Mario games also.

Great picks. Secret of Mana always seemed overhyped to me. However I did enjoy Children of Mana on the NDS

Super Smash Brothers Melee.

I've heard it's the most comfortable when you play it in depth, and sure it probably is. I picked it up to play for a few minutes for some of the events, it feels completely dated from that standpoint.

FIRST YOU DISPARAGE THE LEGENDARY FRUIT THAT IS THE BANANA AND NOW A SUPER SMASH BROS TITLE!!!??!? WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME ZEO

Adventure Quest Worlds. It was one of the first RPGs I got into way back in like 2008 and it was a Flash game. I got the Artix game launcher a couple of weeks ago because I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to play all of their old games, Adventure Quest, AQ Worlds, and Dragon Fable, mostly. Adventure Quest and Dragon Fable still have some charm to them but AQ Worlds is pretty much unplayable.

Man that game was terrible. I logged a lot of hours on it though because sometimes I just craved a simple turn based RPG on the web browser. Maple Story was more my speed though

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    FIRST YOU DISPARAGE THE LEGENDARY FRUIT THAT IS THE BANANA AND NOW A SUPER SMASH BROS TITLE!!!??!? WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME ZEO

I don't hate or dislike Melee. It merely feels dated.

It's still charming and I think it has a fun single player, but I'm not comfortable controlling the characters.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    I don't hate or dislike Melee. It merely feels dated.

It's still charming and I think it has a fun single player, but I'm not comfortable controlling the characters.

That's a very respectable opinion. And I was just messing with you in my previous comment as it's really not that serious 😅 Who's your favorite character to use in the Smash games? Mine is Ganondorf

Years
  • Doom & Hexen come to mind. Or Shadow Warrior. Turok too. Those really old shoot em up kill-a-thon games.
    I still have them and have actually replayed hexen II not long ago. But holy heck does the graphics of old games like these hurt my eyes after playing for a while xD

Back