• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Help: Looking to start play Pokemon again...

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    It's been a few years since I've played Pokemon. I played R/B/G/Y and I got both Gold and Silver when they came out.... Since then not so much.

Now I'm looking to get a 3DS and fitting Pokemon game, but what to choose?
    It be fun to be involved in the trading and battling part of the game using internet, but also I'd like something that resembles the old games.

What are good games to get?

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    Hi there! ^__^

I need a bit more information. Can you be specific on what you mean by looking for a game that resembles the older games? You might want to look into remakes, then! I would suggest HGSS but... that's going to be a very difficult and expensive find. If you live in the U.S, it can very well be $45 or more that you're going to be spending on a copy. If you don't mind though, HeartGold and SoulSilver are worth it entirely as games and they do carry on the spirt of Gen II while adding some new (well, at the time) mechanics and features.

That just about seems to be your only option for a remake that resembles the games that you've already played though, unless you don't mind playing any of the newer games? I would normally say XY would be a decent starting point as well, but with Sun and Moon about to release in a couple of weeks or so (Nov. 18 everywhere, Nov. 22 in Europe), it'd probably be worth your while to save up for those games.

Will try not to sound too much of a skeptic of evolution regarding Pokemon... But when looking trough game play Of the X-Y Games I really did not like the animation, and that it was no longer 2D based. Also for me watching it felt very clunky, impossible to get a overview of the actual world, like very close to the character. Dialogs seemed over complicated. But I have never tried it so I might love it if I actually try it.

I would prefer only three evolves, not this Mega Evolve stuff. If you could get hands on the first generation Pokemons in the game it would be a bonus. I'd want it connected so you can fight and trade pokemons, maybe some game have a better competitive scene than others. Or maybe you fight trough all games together?

I felt in the past games, after a while when you leveled your Pokemons to the max there was really a dead end. You could not use them for anything. I'd like my pokemons be used for something fun even after mainstory, like stomping others :) Also If you could transfer, your pokemons to other games that be a good thing.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    Yea okay, then I wait for those. Might get one of the remakes to play untill it gets out.

But how is this Trade and battle work, is there Tournaments to battle in. Can I battle people only playing the same game as me?

How do I find people to battle?

Same with trading, Is there only trading pokemon vs pokemons or you use ingame currency to trade aswell?

Like I enjoy competing aginst others in all aspects of games, aswell as when you get something rare or make something rare like a perfect IV pokemon, it's not only something that dust away in your lonesome world, but you can use this to win over others or sell to others, to make a profit etc.

The real reason, I wanted to come back to the pokemon series, is this part where you can involve with others. How big aspect of the game is it?

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • I agree you should wait for Sun & Moon, seeing as they'll be releasing soon and are looking to offer the classic Pokemon gameplay whilst also refreshing the series with some new features and mechanics.

The online community for Pokemon is huge; probably one of the biggest amongst the popular games (especially handheld). Battling, trading, interaction, etc. is all a very big part of the mainstream games. Especially being a member of Pokecommunity, your multiplayer options are vast.

The games make it very simple for you to find people to battle and trade with. You can battle friends, random people or participate in official and unofficial tournaments very easily. It's simply a matter of pressing a few buttons, really. All in all, I think you'll find what you're looking for with the new Pokemon games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    I agree you should wait for Sun & Moon, seeing as they'll be releasing soon and are looking to offer the classic Pokemon gameplay whilst also refreshing the series with some new features and mechanics.

The online community for Pokemon is huge; probably one of the biggest amongst the popular games (especially handheld). Battling, trading, interaction, etc. is all a very big part of the mainstream games. Especially being a member of Pokecommunity, your multiplayer options are vast.

The games make it very simple for you to find people to battle and trade with. You can battle friends, random people or participate in official and unofficial tournaments very easily. It's simply a matter of pressing a few buttons, really. All in all, I think you'll find what you're looking for with the new Pokemon games.

Seems great! How does it work with the people that played previous games, do they transfer all their pokemon, also If so, what If someone just transfer several 100's do the game scale or you cant use them until completion of the game?

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • Yes it is possible to transfer your Pokemon from earlier games (through various methods). The Pokemon you transfer from game to game stay the same, so if they're level 95 in one game and are transferred, they'll be level 95 still, have the same moves, stats, etc.

You can still technically use them, but unless you have certain gym badges, Pokemon of a certain level won't obey you. So if you were to transfer over several level 100's they wouldn't obey you until you got the 8th gym badge (which allows any level of Pokemon to obey you).

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    Yes it is possible to transfer your Pokemon from earlier games (through various methods). The Pokemon you transfer from game to game stay the same, so if they're level 95 in one game and are transferred, they'll be level 95 still, have the same moves, stats, etc.

You can still technically use them, but unless you have certain gym badges, Pokemon of a certain level won't obey you. So if you were to transfer over several level 100's they wouldn't obey you until you got the 8th gym badge (which allows any level of Pokemon to obey you).

Right I did some head start by buying the Ruby remake, and when I completed some gyms the leaders said that now a certain level would obey you.

Also I reed the new Gen 1 games at shop you can transfer to the new Sun/Moon
    How is that possible w/o Iv's? Don't really want put to much effort into Pokemons that never can be "real" good.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2018
    Right I did some head start by buying the Ruby remake, and when I completed some gyms the leaders said that now a certain level would obey you.

Also I reed the new Gen 1 games at shop you can transfer to the new Sun/Moon
    How is that possible w/o Iv's? Don't really want put to much effort into Pokemons that never can be "real" good.

No one really knows yet. Some form of IV will be added is the assumption. It may be random, or weighted so they're all decent when traded over.

Years
  • Yeah I would definitely recommend some of the remakes, FRLG, HGSS etc but some of them can be rare and expensive. Tbh, I think your best course of action at the moment would be to wait for Sun and Moon, although XY were great introductions to Pokemon on the 3D engine, they have many flaws and SM looked to have improved tremendously upon those games and will no doubt be great for new and old fans alike.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    Hopefully I win an Auction for HG tonight or there is one tomorrow aswell, so looking forward to trying that out.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe they do some "standard" thing, like 15 cross the board same as with starters.
    Also the reason why I want to play the orginal game so bad is because of all the Pokemons from first Gen. Is it possible to catch all first gen 1 in the games following up too Sun/Moon?

From what I remeber I had Mew and Mew2 playing first gen. Also that bugged out computer that really messed up the game :D

Thinking about getting Fire/Red,then you get all the old ones with IV's.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I was gonna say XY but you don't like 3D animations? Fine. So from that, I suggest HGSS. It's also one of my favourites and see the reasons others said.

Also like others said you could wait for SM.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    Sun and Moon sound like your best bet. The games will have plenty of gen 1 & 2 Pokemon as well as a ton of new Pokemon. I'd suggest downloading the demo to see if you like the new gameplay style.

As for the community, its a big deal with the latest games. Game Freak has been giving away event Pokemon like candy corn on Halloween. And starting in 2017, official competitions will be in the Sun and Moon format (currently mega evolutions and primal reversions are banned to keep focus on Z-moves). So that's where the general focus on the community will be.

A couple new features in Sun and Moon that I think you'll like, based on what you've been saying:
    • You're encouraged to bring your Pokemon up to level 100, so they can take part in Hyper Training to increase their IVs (which brings up their stats).
    • You can set up your own tournaments with your own rules.

Years
  • Like the others said, HG/SS is perfect if you're a fan of Kanto and want that nostalgia since Kanto is a post-game feature and there's tons of Kanto Pokemon inhabiting Johto. It's been regarded as the best of the remakes released so far.

Also, wait for Sun & Moon since the release is not too far at this stage. There will be a lot of Kanto Pokemon catchable in Alola (thank the datamine for that) as well as the compatibility with the VC 1st Gen games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    Yea I'm going to get Sun/Moon of the DS. As I've reed up on some of the pokemon games lately, I just started to think....

I mean when I played Yellow as a Kid, we did all kinds of Glitches, we got Mew, we copied pokemons in transfer, we cloned items in the numbers of hundreds.... Felt kind of innocent, but now I reed the old games at store have all the same bugs and you will still be able to transfer this stuff to sun/moon.

Apparently you could Glitch a Shiny Ditto at HGSS, making it more likely to get Shiny breed.
    Does not all this cheating ruin the game a bit now when the online trade is coming along.
    Shiny Mew should be more or less impossible to get? I've seen plenty that wanted Shiny Mew traded.
    Masterballs in the likes of thousands.

It must decrease the value at everything to a point that soon people trade a shiny mew for 31 Special attack rattata to keep free of the hassle of finding it themselves.

Back