• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] I miss the feature where we could dress up our Pokemon

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In D/P/PT we could dress up our pokemon with accessories in a contest or to take a photo of them in jubilife city
    in BD/SP, we can't do this at all, and I miss this feature.

but i guess not every feature can be brought back, no matter how faithful the remake

Years
  • I miss this too! Honestly there are a lot of nice features I miss... the main one being the better Pokétch design in Platinum. Being able to press the back button if you skipped over an app is just A+, am shocked they went with the inferior design here that only has the forward button.

Accessories were fun even if they were silly. I guess they didn't want to put effort into remaking the accessories in 3D. v_v

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I could never get precise placements of those accessories, sad to admit. I'd just pile as much random crap on my Pokemon as I could to score as many contest points as possible, with no regard to how it actually looked. Some of my Pokemon Contest Hall portraits in Platinum look downright frightening, lol

Years
  • It just takes a lot more work to implement such a feature when it comes to 3D models.
    Back in the days of sprites, all Pokémon fit within an 80x80 pixel window, so the items of clothing were one-size-fits-all.
    I imagine was just an extra bit of data tied to Pokémon sprites to signify "this is where the Pokemon's head is", "this is their mid-section", "this is their paw/hand", and the items of clothing would snap to those areas appropriately.

Edit: There is a significant chance I'm mixing this up with Black and White's Musical dress-up, but I'm quite sure it's the same mechanics for DPPt anyway.

But for 3D models this becomes an issue. Proportions are now a thing, and the Pokémon are now in constant (if subtle) motion. So not only would every/most clothing item(s) have to work with every Pokémon, but they'd likely be clipping through the models as the Pokémon moved, depending on animations, etc.

It's a lot more work for a side-feature, though I agree it's a shame that it's missing! Instead they doubled-down on Ball Capsules for extra customisation, and at least they did a pretty decent job of that.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2022
    It was a cute feature. In this instance, it makes sense to have omitted it due to the effort that would've been involved.

Years
  • THIS post, THIS is the one that i resonate with most

while i do personally miss the feature as well, i do believe that it is for the best that they removed this feature from contests. if i were given the option between using a select number of pokemon WITH the addition of accessories, /or/ being able to openly use any pokemon WITHOUT the addition of accessories, i do think i would actually take the variety pokemon over accessories.

i can actually understand why gamefreak made the decision to cut this feature from the game. among many other complicated factors, the time and money that would have to be sunk into this kind of feature certainly outweighs the impact of said feature -- especially if that feature only exists for contests. if you could permanently give certain pokemon different kinds of accessories, then that would be a different story and would be more of an example of overall laziness

however, because that has never been a feature in D/P (from my knowledge anyways, i never really did contests in D/P), it doesn't honestly bother me that much. besides, we can still put the dark matter pokemon of absolute destruction into the cuteness contest and win with majority votes :v

Last edited:
    Back