• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: outgoing mail server doesn't working

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • hello. i've been trying to configure my mail client with my PC email, and setting up incoming IMAP works just fine. however, when i move forward in setup to put in the SMTP details, my clients all say "couldn't finish: couldn't open a connection to the server." i have done this with outlook on windows, thunderburd on linux, and default android mail on android. i have tried with SSL, and without. i am following the configuration guide posted on the webmail site. can you look into what's going on?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I don't think PC email addresses are supported anymore. An admin could better answer this though.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • I don't think PC email addresses are supported anymore. An admin could better answer this though.
    i sure hope thats not the case. its not that i actively use it but its like a phone number ive given out for years, i cant exactly take it back.

i have had various self-hosted mail servers but these days i use gandi. i redirect all of my mail to a unified inbox, which isnt something i have the ability to configure as i dont run pc's webmail.

if it's too much of a burden for them to run the mail server, might i ask if they could keep is going as a relay so addresses don't die?

Years
  • Emails are no longer being issued to new supporters; anyone with a supporter email (that isn't a staff email) will continue to have access to email until any discontinuation of service, which if it does happen, we'd be sure to notify address holders of.

Our SMTP server is any permutation of "pokecommunity.com"; typically, "mail.pokecommunity.com" should work. It uses SSL via port 587 and requires authentication via the same credentials as your IMAP credentials.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Emails are no longer being issued to new supporters; anyone with a supporter email (that isn't a staff email) will continue to have access to email until any discontinuation of service, which if it does happen, we'd be sure to notify address holders of.

Our SMTP server is any permutation of "pokecommunity.com"; typically, "mail.pokecommunity.com" should work. It uses SSL via port 587 and requires authentication via the same credentials as your IMAP credentials.
    yeah, i used that information, and SMTP doesnt take. as i said IMAP worked fine, but ive been having this problem consistently for months now, ever since the server move when i had my credentials reset

Years
  • It's quite possible you've accepted an old certificate for the server. These have changed with our movement between hosts; you'll likely need to change your certificate trust settings on your PC and your phone.

Have you attempted setup on a fresh device?

Back