• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Torterra vs. Charizard

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2017
    My sister said "Torterra sucks. He's so easy to take down, just get a fire type." and I almost hit her. I let her know that torterra has the highest base defense of any starter, and charizard, the strongest fire type pokemon, in fact has lower base attack than torterra. So, in a solid base stat battle with no ups, who would win: Charizard or Torterra?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Torterra also has meh Sp.Defense and poor Speed, and you're generally more inclined to use special attacks with Charizard given its Sp.Attack is higher than its Attack. Charizard also 4x resists Torterra's Grass STAB and is immune to its Ground STAB. These things (particularly the Speed) would tend to put things in Charizard's favor, although it's not as clear cut as that, as stuff like items and movesets (Torterra has access to Rock moves) and training all are important things that make it not necessarily guaranteed for one or the other.

But like I said, it's still generally more in Zard's favor.

Charizard being the strongest fire type is also highly questionable, as "strongest" (for a lot of things really) is slightly subjective and/or not perfectly clear or not exactly agreed upon. Base Charizard at the very least is certainly not the strongest fire type. The megas are pretty potent, although they are not necessarily the strongest ones either, as there's other contenders for that spot like Ho-oh, Primal Groudon, etc.

Zard is a wildly popular Pokemon, so it's not crazy that a bunch of places would make the claim that it is the strongest fire type in the series. Doesn't really make it true tho.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Nah, Charizard is not the strongest. If I'm not forgeting anyone, Primal Groudon is currently the strongest Fire type.

Btw, I think Charizard would win the battle. Because his mega Y form is one crazy wallbreaker which deal super effective damage on Torterra. Meanwhile Torterra is a lot slower than Charizard, and no matter how bulky, under the sun Flamethrower can ohko Torterra.

This is the damage wallbreaker Charizard Y's Flamethrower will do to Careful nature, and max HP and Special Defense Torterra:
    252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Torterra in Sun: 410-486 (104 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Back