• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dumbest Pokemon Urban Legend you Believed in?

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
  • Let's swallow our pride for a minute and admit that we believed some stupid things about Pok?mon. Since this is the internet and most of our identities are hidden, let's share some stupid things we believed. No shame here.

The one myth I believed for a while now is that holding B down will garuntee a pokemon would stay in the pokeball. I heard this from a cousin who I traded with as a kid and let's just say that that cousin is a liar.

Likewise, back in Middle School (my creepypasta/emo phase), I legitametely thought the Lavender Town music caused suicides. I was legit scared to play the Red/Blue/Yellow versions because I thought that I would die by the time I reached Lavender Town.

Years
  • The one myth I believed for a while now is that holding B down will garuntee a pokemon would stay in the pokeball. I heard this from a cousin who I traded with as a kid and let's just say that that cousin is a liar.

I got told this too, for Crystal, and for a while it seemed to "work" but in reality it was just a friend messing about. For old times sake I tried it a few times on my latest playthrough and it didn't work at all.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • When I was seven, I believed that if you put a Magikarp in the day care and beat the Elite Four seven times in a row, it would turn into Mew. When I was five, I also thought that if I named my starter Mew, it would turn into Mew. By the time the Mew Glitch was discovered, I didn't believe it at all...

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • I have no idea when this got into my head, but at the time when diamond and pearl were out, there were the events right for the legendaries, like Darkrai. Well me being a kid at the time had no idea for these events, so I never obtained any of them. So, me wanting to get one, I don't know when or where but every day I went to that locked house in Canalave city I think, because I thought one day in the year, you can enter and get the Darkrai.

Yeah. Time well spent I must say.

GlaceonBlitz

Professional Glaceon Trainer
    Years
  • The one myth I believed for a while now is that holding B down will garuntee a pokemon would stay in the pokeball. I heard this from a cousin who I traded with as a kid and let's just say that that cousin is a liar.

I heard this from a friend a year ago, and i, well, believed it because she NEVER lies. But i guess she was fooled as well.

I still do it though, habits :/

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • I once saw a video online explaining how to switch the colors of the main character in Crystal Version (Ethan would be blue, and Kris would be red). After trying the elaborate process many times, I later learned that rom hacking was a thing...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Oh, man, yeah the B-down one was something I couldn't shake until gen 4. I don't know if I necessarily believed it the whole time, but I figured it couldn't hurt my chances, ahaha.

My friends and I would usually try to investigate any rumours we found. So we both helped each other access the truck by the S.S. Anne that "had Mew under it" and debunked that one. We'd do the same with others so long as the requirements weren't outlandish, so although I wouldn't say we were fooled by them, we were tricked enough to try them. :P (And then of course there was the weird Mew glitch that actually worked, and that one blew our minds.)

Years
  • Don't know where I got B+Up instead of B+Down, but even to this day I do it as a ritual, even though I know it does absolutely nothing.

The one urban legend that stuck with me for the longest time was that there was something hidden in the garden behind Bill's house in the first gen games. I didn't believe that Nidogod or Pikablu was hiding back there, but I thought there had to be something. Probably wasn't until I started playing the second gen games that I finally gave up on that dream.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I also believed the B+Down urban legend. Also that saying "gotcha" into the microphone would make it easier to catch a Pokemon....I read it in those Beckett Pokemon magazine, so eleven year old me actually believed it.

Boy, was I fooled.

Back