• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 2] Dragon in Pokémon Crystal Version

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • 1-Crystal_EN_boxart.png
    2-Crystal_JP_boxart.png

Pokémon Crystal Version (Japanese: ポケットモンスター クリスタルバージョン Pocket Monsters: Crystal Version) is the third and final Generation II core series game for Game Boy Color. It was released as a solitary version to Pokémon Gold and Silver, which were released one year before. It featured various fixes and some new additions, most notably the introduction of the option to play as a girl. It takes place in the region of Johto like Gold and Silver, with access to Kanto granted later in the game, with the player's starting town being New Bark Town.

giphy.gif

The player is called to Professor Elm's lab to run an errand. He provides the player with one of three Pokémon: Chikorita, Cyndaquil, or Totodile to help them get to Mr. Pokémon's house. The player meets Kanto's own Professor Oak during the errand for Elm. Oak, convinced that the player has started their own Pokémon journey, gives them a Pokédex. On the way back, the player is attacked by a spiteful and mysterious Pokémon Trainer. Upon the player's return to New Bark Town, they are informed that someone has broken into Professor Elm's lab and has stolen a Pokémon, the same Pokémon that the Trainer from earlier battled with (the Pokémon that the player's starter is weak against); even more so, that very same Trainer fits the description of the Pokémon thief. This Trainer will become the player's rival for the course of the game, having several conflicts with the player as to what it means to be the world's greatest Pokémon Trainer. Also, throughout the adventure, the player will also come across Suicune, a Legendary Pokémon that traverses Johto after the player awakens the three Legendary beasts from their sleep at the Burned Tower.

source.gif

One of the many games I played as a kid, I did really enjoy playing Pokemon Gold and Silver. Pokemon Crystal felt really surreal, with the added stuff they included in the game, like... how the pokemon sprites are animated when they're put into battle. It was around the time Pokemon Crystal got released that I also became better at playing these Pokemon games as a whole too. Like before when I was playing Pokemon Yellow, all I did was leave things up to my starter Pokemon, but I gradually learned to rely on other Pokemon, and thus, the Pokemon gaming experience got a lot easier, and a lot more enjoyable in turn!

zoIzJFm.gif

That being said, it does have a number of flaws, like the actual lack of Generation 2 pokemon that you can find in the main portion of Johto, and some fan favourites are mostly found within the later post game while in Kanto. While Gold, Silver and Crystal does improve from the first Generation of games, you'll still find an unbalanced broken mess held together with sheer programming.

0Q5DIoy.gif

Still, I personally think it doesn't stop these games from being enjoyable. Perhaps it's from sheer notsalgia, these games have a charm that I don't think can be replaced. So, I am bringing this as narrative LP coupled with screenshots. I'm planning to give you, the reader, a sense of what it's like to play this game and to better understand the Johto region in general. If you're looking more for insight, I'll try to also do commentary in batches of a couple of updates at a time, where I will try to go more into detail on the events that went down during this play-through.

wykP4oN.gif

I'll try to use as much different Pokémon as I can each update. It's just to give you all a good idea on how well they perform in many aspects of the game.

K77T3CX.gif

This isn't a narrative masterpiece or anything, but there's also some cool moments that shouldn't be ruined! Updates will come.. whenever I have time, but hopefully consistently.

OiVWWfp.gif

I'll also compile a master list of Pokémon, cities, landmarks, characters, and music when they come, as well as any other interesting tips and segments.

--

BC5gYkj.png

i7bguj1.png

8Yw2FBb.png

1. [Full Opening]
    2. [New Bark Town]
    3. [Get a move on, dear!]
    4. [Professor Elm's Lab]

hrVK2zt.png

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • H1gG0sP.png

[Full Opening]

Tij7dqw.png
    IqWsS6F.png
    l3losVD.png
    SEnguY5.png
    7CsfI0V.png
    LR9UMwy.png

The opening screen shows a mysterious blue pokémon running, and encountering even more mysterious pokémon: Unown. It's quite the sight to behold! The animation is quite impressive for its time.

3ZNuhfN.png
    BxWTBIC.png

The Unown reads 'CRYSTAL'. And now, we're finally at the title of the game! Time to start a new game...

RD3fFxR.png

...And the game asks if we're a boy or girl. The first pokemon game to do so! I went ahead and chose to be a girl.

b7S0WTM.png
    xlRDUSe.png

p9D2W39.png
    ZgxUoxk.png

Here is the part where we can set the clock. Make sure you set the clock properly, as there are a few things in this game that is influenced by time!

xFSjlen.png

"slept!"

I chose 12:00 p.m. It's a flexible time, so, I think I'll make the most of things during this time. Kinda cute they went with the traditional, "Oh no! I'm late!" trope.

[Welcome, to the world of pokémon!]

sAPPKGX.png

Ah, it's good ol' Professor Oak! Also known as Dr. Yukinari Okido in Japan. You remember him from Generation I, right? Oak concentrates on pokémon and human relationships as a profession. Now, it's the same old intro as last generation, so we don't need to dive too much into that. More importantly...

DYso2lr.png
    6fwhCTB.png

You still get to choose your name. Now, the female trainer here's official name is Kris, and her anime counterpart is named Marina. But I went ahead and chose Kris!

tumblr_ou332yQQRp1r8sc3ro2_500.gif

tumblr_ou332yQQRp1r8sc3ro3_500.gif

Kris is Ethan/Gold's female counterpart. She's cute, spunky, always wants to learn more about pokémon, try new things, and battle her heart out! I rather like her myself; I personally do like her a little bit more than Lyra(though it's awfully close)! Fortunately she's getting even more development in Pokémon Masters, the mobile game. So, she will be the main protagonist in this game!

[New Bark Town]

cDiGuDB.png

As always, we start in our room first. Let's check out START!

34tqhcU.png
    M3L5V27.png

2Isq8z5.png

A bit more colourful than Pokémon Yellow. Looking good so far! Taking a look at the rest of our room...

5-c1005.png

6-c1006.png

"in next time!"

The RADIO is the innovation in these games, which we'll definitely see more of during this game later.

j2j0Lgm.png
    hGqDUHO.png

9-c1156.png

Sadly, there's no items in our PC. No free POTIONS just yet!

10-c1008.png
    11-c1009.png

The TOWN MAP says that we're in a place called New Bark Town! We'll learn more about that soon. For right now, time to head downstairs...

[Get a move on, dear!]

14-c1013.png
    63xTmvm.png

tIgWVeK.png

17-Head_Mom.png
    : He said he wanted you to do something for him. Oh! I almost forgot! Your POKéMON GEAR is back from the repair shop. Here you go!

0XoWCVr.png
    KTWti0S.png

17-Head_Mom.png
    It's essential if you want to be a good trainer. Oh, the day of the week isn't set. You mustn't forget that!

Ctzhv1j.png
    o3Ad33z.png

6t4PfkW.png
    23-c1031.png

"for Daylight Savings Time".

Here you can set the date. The Date is also very important for some in-game events! You can also choose if you want to set it as Daylight Savings time.

4Dm2sxw.png
    "the PHONE?"

N-No. Tell me more about this... pf..-pfown.

17-Head_Mom.png
    : I'll read the instructions. Turn the POKéGEAR on and select the PHONE icon. Phone numbers are stored in memory. Just choose a name you want to call. Gee, isn't that convenient?

zUTGuCF.png
    yhPlyKN.png

nsPt8KL.png

And... who are you?

zTbUauD.png

28-Sprite_Pokefan_F.png
    : My daughter is adamant about becoming PROF.ELMs assistant. She really loves POKéMON!

I guess it's just a friend of the family. Anyways, it's finally time to head outside! The beginning is a bit more text heavy than the Generation I games. Just to warn you a bit.

[New Bark Town]

0EluzTz.png
    htMuB9o.png

As said before, we're in New Bark Town!

250px-New_Bark_Town_GSC.png

The Town Where Winds of a New Beginning Blow. In Japan it's called ワカバタウン Wakaba Town, はじまりを つげる かぜがふく まち The town where winds of a new beginning blow. From 若葉 wakaba, it means "new leaves" or "fresh verdure". New Bark Town is literally new bark. From a relation to the real world, in HGSS, it was released with wind turbines added to New Bark Town at the same time construction was completed on a small
    wind-farm in Shizuoka City in Japan.

dCMizOY.png

This isn't his lab, but his house. Might be interesting to learn more on what he's about.

CL6q0PD.png
    2GZUWWh.png

VOjTqWt.png
    LRHjXMe.png

Huh, sounds like the researcher's life isn't all that easy.

35-c1062.png
    36-c1063.png

37-Head_Elm.png
    : "Why has no one ever witnessed a POKéMON's birth? I want to know! I will dedicate my life to the study of POKéMON!" It's a part of PROF.ELM's research papers.

Looks like Professor Elm is focusing on the birth and foundations of a pokemon. It's an interesting approach to learning about these creatures as a whole. Anyway, he's not home, so time to head to his lab.

vWj0s7Z.png

Here's his lab, and... huh?

UNwGSNM.png
    VqIKmag.png

"Lab..."

Um...

8NKUlUv.png

Okay?

JZmzRXZ.png

Well, here's his lab at last.

Professor Elm's Lab

qm2QeOK.png
    g6NRawh.png

37-Head_Elm.png
    : I'm conducting new POKéMON research right now. I was wondering if you could help me with it, KRIS. You see... I'm writing a paper that I want to present at a conference. But there are some things I don't quite understand yet.

rl05zp9.png
    V7qIdoK.png

sIZsWsH.png

Well, I don't see why not!

sdq71Kw.png
    fbT5WcZ.png

I try...

37-Head_Elm.png
    : When I announce my findings, I'm sure we'll delve a bit deeper into the many mysteries of POKéMON.

taYV9pn.png

Z4UeIZV.png
    R7VERSI.png

wmfilMv.png
    SLrSn1f.png

Gee, I wonder what junk mail he's being suckered into.

0j7MK98.png

37-Head_Elm.png
    : I have an acquaintance called MR. POKéMON. He keeps finding weird things and raving about his discoveries. Anyway, I just got an e-mail from him saying that this time it's real. It is intriguing, but we're busy with our POKéMON research...

PlYNNLP.png

Oh... oh no.

epyoYXu.png

Here it comes...

ymt3EaL.png

And there it is.

37-Head_Elm.png
    : I want you to raise one of the POKéMON contained in these BALLS. You'll be that POKéMON's first partner, KRIS!

TyW6sX6.png

Well, let's have a look-see at our choices...

k4fXWLZ.png
    pOXEZ1B.png

"fire POKéMON?"

Cyndaquil, or ヒノアラシ Hinoarashi is the fire-starter of this generation. Cyndaquil is a combination of cinder (ashes) and quill (referring to needle-like hairs). Hinoarashi may be a combination of 火 hi (fire) and ヤマアラシ (山荒) yama-arashi (porcupine). It can be taken to mean 火の嵐 hi no arashi (storm of fire).
    HP: 39 | ATK: 52 | DEF: 43 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 50 | SPD: 65 | TOTAL: 309

JK2PH1j.png
    Wt9gZtD.png

rtcPBvn.png
    ZRiyBE9.png

"water POKéMON?"

Totodile, ワニノコ
    Waninoko, is the water-type. Totodile is a combination of tot and crocodile, and Waninoko can be taken to mean 鰐の子 (child of a crocodile/alligator).
    HP: 50 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 64 | SP.ATK: 44 | SP.DEF: 48 | SPD: 43 | TOTAL: 314

xGVj3yA.png
    s62AZzE.png

"grass POKéMON?"

Chikorita (チコリータ Chicorita), is the grass-type pokemon of the region. Chikorita is a combination of chicory (a flowering plant) and ita (the feminine form of the Spanish suffix for something small or young).
    HP: 45 | ATK: 49 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 49 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 318

You can't go wrong with whatever pokémon you choose to pick, as long as your team is balanced to compensate their weaknesses. As for the starter I'm going to pick...

LSO5De7.png
    dpecar3.png

37-Head_Elm.png
    : I think that's a great POKéMON too!

37-Head_Elm.png
    : Mr. Pokémon lives near Cherrygrove, the next city. It's almost a direct route there, so you can't miss it. But just in case, here's my phone number. Call me if anything comes up!

tIqffKr.png

Uw4Ae8c.png

heal it with this machine. Feel free to use it anytime."

vlIgnu4.png

Whew, that was a lengthy explanation. But now we finally get to head out and--

89-Scientist_gif.gif

90-Sprite_Scientist.png
    : KRIS, I want you to have this for your errand.

J3NemxR.png

Well, here's our free Potion!

90-Sprite_Scientist.png
    : There are only two of us, so we're always busy.

Well with that out of the way, let's finally have a look at the Pokemon!

zP4LMv7.png
    UDUntIC.png

3PFDsWF.png
    ju0z6JO.png

oi9hMbo.png

With the additions of gsc, they added the ability for our Pokemon to hold items. In this case, a BERRY will restore 10HP when the Pokemon goes under 50% of its health. It's quite handy in a pinch. The Special Stat from Generation II is now separated into a Special Attack and Special Defense stat.

pcjb9tr.png
    focGmjD.png

Next time, its time to finally venture out!

Back