• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(Gen IV OU) GyaraVire v2.0

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
  • Well, I discovered the amazingness that is Pokemon Online, and managed to get smoked using my original team almost two dozen times. So I tried to create a more balanced team. I'm getting more wins with this one, but I'm still losing most of the time.

One major problem is I'm terrible at prediction. If anyone can give me some tips, that'd be nice.

And here's my team:

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 248 HP / 218 Def / 44 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch

My lead and overall tank. Waterfall and Earthquake for STAB. Ice Punch hits Dragons and Grounds. Swampy can take down Tyranitar fairly easily, and Heatrans that lack HP Grass.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang/Stone Edge

My main physical sweeper. It's a more offensive version from the last one as I found that I was lacking in speed and power. Waterfall for STAB, and Earthquake for Electric types that Gyarados manages to out-speed. I prefer Ice Fang over Stone Edge as Ice Fang's accuracy is more reliable, although I may have to go for better coverage.

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 6 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

My main special sweeper. Shadow Ball is STAB, with Thunderbolt and HP Ice complete the Boltbeam combo. Focus Blast is inaccurate, but can do decent damage to Tyranitars, Heatrans, and Snorlaxs that switch in.

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Motor Drive
    EVs: 212 Atk / 80 SAtk / 218 Spd
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Earthquake

My mixed sweeper and the second part to the GyaraVire combo. Motor Drive gives it a speed boost after coming into an Electric attack. Thunderbolt for STAB, with 80 SAtk EVs to give it that extra kick. Ice Punch, Cross Chop, and EQ combine to hit 13/17 types super-effectively.

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Keen Eye
    EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost

My physical wall, phazer, and Spiker. Roost is there for recovery. Whirlwind for scouting and BB for a damaging attack.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave

My healer and special wall. Seismic Toss is a guaranteed 100 HP damage against anything that isn't Ghost. Thunder Wave is used over Toxic due to most of the pokemon I'm running into are either immune or have Natural Cure.

----------------------

Well, that's it. Tear this thing apart as much as you want. And give me tips on prediction if you can.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • For Swampert, I'd replace Ice Punch with Ice Beam so that it can hit physical walls harder, despite working off of a lower offensive stat. You can also use Surf or Roar over Waterfall, since Swampert has little use of the flinch chance.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Roar is definitely useful. Once you've set up Stealth Rock, you can Roar away counters, bringing up residual damage on most of the opponent's team, provided you don't Roar in your own counter again. It also blocks the rare Trick Room, which has the lowest priority of all moves. Ice Beam is also better than Ice Punch.

Oh, Stone Edge on Gyarados. It'll hit airborne targets harder, including Dragonite.

Gengar could possibly use HP Fire if you wanted - if you can predict an incoming Scizor, then it really helps to take it out. Although most of them use Bullet Punch, just using the threat of Pursuit to keep you in, so switching's quite often safe. Oh, and Focus Blast is doing naff all to Snorlax - just switch to Gyarados, weaken his attack with Intimidate, then try to set up. Just watch out for a rare ThunderPunch.

And on Blissey, I'd suggest Toxic > Thunder Wave. Toxic + Wish + Protect allows you to out-stall many threats, although Steels are immune, you can get rid with Swampert, Gyarados or Electivire, depending on which one it is. It also helps to try and over-come stall teams.

Hope this helps.

Back