• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No, you'll never take away my spinning hard disks!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It's time for... talking about storage media in general! Chances are, whatever computer or device you're using right now, there's probably some kind of secondary, more permanent storage, like a hard disk drive (HDD), solid state drive (SSD), NAND flash-based memory (such as those found on phones, tablets, and some Windows 8 and RT PCs, and older netbooks), and hybrid disk drives (SSHDs).

What's inside the devices you have? What do you think of them?

What do you think of the storage device type(s) in general?

---

As you can see from the thread's title, well... I think I have a love of old-school spinning hard disk drives. Yeah, they might be rather slow, especially from a random access standpoint, and I am somewhat irked by the rather slow boot times of my laptop, but... man, 750 GB of perfectly portable, reliable storage is a very nice thing to have.

(You might be shocked to hear this, but modern hard disk drives are actually quite reliable when it comes to being subject to shocks, vibrations, and impacts, especially laptop disk drives, and especially when they come equipped with detection sensors and circuitry.)

I'm thinking of getting a SSHD anyway. Apparently they do work. I'm thinking of upgrading the disk drive anyway since the laptop's 5400 RPM disk drive isn't just a bog-standard 5400 RPM disk drive, it's also one of these slower ones on the market.

Years
In my desktops, there's just HDDs.. I would love to get an SSD for my desktop though to boost OS loading time and to specifically install my programs to it, while I continue to use my HDD for storage of files.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Wait, how is permanent storage secondary? Would 'primary' be referring to volatile storage?

Until SSDs reach reasonable prices for TB sizes I'm stuck with HDDs to which I owe no sentimental loyalty. I've always thought cartridges better than discs, originally upon basis of durability but now for expedience.

Lilikoi Juice

I'm on Youtube!
Years
SSD's are great but they're so expensive... I love my 3 TB HDD. I have a 500GB SSD but it's not enough. I've already hit my 3 TB limit at least 5 times... I think it's time I get another 3 TB, haha.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jun 4, 2014
I have quite a few drives.

1. 1x120GB Intel 330 SSD
2. 1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM HDD
3. 1x2TB Seagate Barracuda 5600RPM HDD
4. 1x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD (have 2, only using 1)

Also a few removable/portable drives too, but not worth counting. I'll be getting a 1TB Solid-State Drive next year, though, and expect to get a few more 3TB hard drives for my next computer project as well.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I have a 40+80 GB HDD in my old PC, 320 GB on my old laptop and 500 GB on my new laptop. I'm usually using HDD because of the massive capacity, and even though I heard SSD is much faster, I don't mind with HDD's speed that I stick to using it.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
using a 279GB Hard Drive disk. lol. as for whats inside them? heheee. oh the usual. anime, music,vidieos, some games,ect. as for what I think of my hard drive. keeps running out of space thats what. I only have 85.8 gb free in it currently. that can add up mighty fast lol. also its super slow sometimes......

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Yeah, I'm really not a fan of SSD or flash. Always been a fan of HDDs, and probably always will be. Maybe it's because I feel that they hold seniority over all other forms of storage. And frankly I don't care how much faster SSDs are compared to HDDs… plus I'll probably never have the money to waste on SSDs anyway.

Right now I'm stuck with two ancient USB 2.0 flash drives that contain my life and soul ATM. However, in two weeks, mum says she'll be able to get me a 1.5 TB USB 3.0 Western Digital MyBook, which will be the bee's knees. :D

Back