• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Paradise Green

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    title_by_lilbluedemon-dau0a5m.png

Intro:
    Hello, my name is lilbluedemon, I started ROM Hacking around 8 years ago, but I've never released a thing. (woops). My first hack was a Ruby hack, called Paradise Green, and it was terrible.
    I was terrible at a lot of things I was working on, didn't make a proper schedule, and/or plan of what I was doing, and everything went wallys up. I wanted to originally hack GSC, but at the time it all looked rather complex for my young mind, so I gave it a miss.
    A friend of mine has been teaching me the ins and outs of pokecrystal, and I feel a lot more confident in hacking my favorite generation.
    8 years later, I feel I'm more professional, and more mature, and feel I can handle it.

So, here is my revived hack from when I was a young Teen.
    Pokémon Paradise Green.

Story:
    The Prinu Region is a paradise, created by an ancient Pokémon known as Glideon. Glideon was a Pokémon who had powerful abilities, and could give life to anything it saw. It saw a barren wasteland which was Prinu, and allowed plant life to grow, and Pokemon to migrate to the Region, and soon enough, humans migrated to, and the Region was in full swing.
    After creating the Region it's said Glideon went to rest, happy with what it had created.
    But, there's no such thing as a peaceful life.

Many centuries later, a young child from OLIVE TOWN, picks up a MAREEP from the local PROF. TALLOW as an assistant to record data for POKéMON all over Prinu, and the various islands surrounding the region. On the path this Child will meet many trainers, Pokémon, and various obstacles.

Planned Features:
    - A small variety of Pokémon from each Gen. (I - VII)
    - Lots of Post-League Content. (Battle Tower, Extra Dungeons, etc.)

Screenshots:
    woods_by_lilbluedemon-dau099z.png
    dothetango_by_lilbluedemon-dau09a2.png
    battle1_by_lilbluedemon-dau0a6e.png
    crystal_by_lilbluedemon-dau2pta.png
    dex_by_lilbluedemon-dau2pt8.png

carmine_by_lilbluedemon-dau3a4m.png
    trainer2_by_lilbluedemon-dau3a5a.png
    intro_by_lilbluedemon-dau0a69.png
    mareep_by_lilbluedemon-dau0a64.png
    rival1_by_lilbluedemon-dau0a5z.png

Music :

Credit:
    Creators of pokered/pokecrystal
    PiaCarrot for teaching me.
    skeetendo community for devamped sprites.
    mmmmmm - Music Code
    (if I've missed you on this list, feel free to say, and you shall be added. <3)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    all i can say is, good luck :) liking the story.

the screenshots are looking real nice. always good to have more GBC hacks up in here!

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2020
    Will there be a lot of fakemon in this hack? You mentioned a pokemon called Gildeon.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023

Am I having a fever dream, did you somehow manage to get GBC games to run more than 4 colors on sprites, or are you just really damn good at spriting? It looks like these sprites have way more than 4 colors.

Either way, your hack looks great! I'm in love with the tree tile.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    How are you gonna add 802 Pokemons and there is no sprites for 5 ,6 and 7 gen?

A small variety of Pokémon from each Gen. (I - VII)

I'm not adding every single Pokemon.
    Only a few from each generation, that would fit in to my region.

Am I having a fever dream, did you somehow manage to get GBC games to run more than 4 colors on sprites, or are you just really damn good at spriting? It looks like these sprites have way more than 4 colors.

Either way, your hack looks great! I'm in love with the tree tile.

Unfortunately, it's just an illusion.
    uExGFt.jpg

Both light browns, are the same light brown, then there's the dark brown, black, and white.
    Only 4 colors I'm afraid <3

But, I guess it's nice that it gives the illusion of more than 4 colors.

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Wait, is there a complete Gen 2 spritesheet Unova? I've seen the Gen 1-style sheet, but never saw a complete Gen 2 sheet.

It's great to see someone want to use my music in their hack, lilbluedemon! I hope to see your hack make it to completion.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    So, I was gonna show off the evil team tonight.
    But one of my maps has corrupted, and is too "big" for any data bank.

Even if I replace it, it's too big.
    No idea what to do, or what.

Bummer.

EDIT:
    The slow road to recovery.
    Everything became unusable.
    But, I've salvaged graphics, and what not.
    pokecrystal_by_lilbluedemon-dau9plz.png

The script with Prof. Tallow still works. <3

Last edited:

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Are you regularly making commits when you alter your files? It's a good habit to get into, if you fuck up and can't unfuck it like you seemed to you can roll back to an earlier commit and undo the damage.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2020
    Every time you make major changes, you should always back up your entire source code.
    I have about 100 backups of my uncompiled game so far and it has saved me many times.

You should be doing it too.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    Yep, I screwed up.
    From now on, I will backup all the time.

Small Update:
    Changing things up.
    tree_by_lilbluedemon-daubsl7.png

Player lives in Chaki City, where the Regional Professor Tallow lives, and the mysterious Aspire Corp's head office is.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Yep, I screwed up.
    From now on, I will backup all the time.

I think using GitHub would help you more than a series of backups. Its diff feature lets you see exactly which lines of code changes between updates, and you have a complete remote backup of your project. You just have to fork pret/pokecrystal, clone it to a local copy on your computer, and frequently commit the changes you make and push them to GitHub's remote copy.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    I think using GitHub would help you more than a series of backups. Its diff feature lets you see exactly which lines of code changes between updates, and you have a complete remote backup of your project. You just have to fork pret/pokecrystal, clone it to a local copy on your computer, and frequently commit the changes you make and push them to GitHub's remote copy.

github is all set up now, as far as I know. (Piacarrot helped set up).

Been Scripting the home city.
    world_by_lilbluedemon-daud8us.png
    aspire_by_lilbluedemon-daud8wf.png
    doll_by_lilbluedemon-daud8w9.png

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    UQJHaE.jpg

Mapped today.
    This is Tango Town.
    Where the Post Office is. (Ignore Kurt in the corner, he is jsut remnants of the unused Celebi EVent.)

Looks good! I like the bridge, and your overall layout is not too crowded nor too empty. The different roofs help the Pokémon Center and Mart stand out from the other buildings (although I'm used to tuning out that particular roof since it's just for gatehouses; maybe use your own design?). And nice use of flowerpots as decoration. I'm already curious about the officer by the Gym and I'm not even playing your game yet. :)

I do think the bridge would look more like a bridge if it had supports. Also, you're not the only person to make Berry trees not-green, but since they're on top of green grass the transparent dots end up clashing with the rest. If you like the red tree and/or want to use the green palette entry for something else, I'd suggest filling them in. Lastly, your main trees have a noticeable horizontal artifact across their middle, looking kind of like a graphical glitch.

Here's the map with those changes to it:

VTh8o5W.png

Back