• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] Do Pokémon Like/Understand Music?

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
  • Do Pok?mon Like/Understand Music?

A question I wonder is if Pok?mon are capable of liking and understanding music.

Well, I believe Episode 23 of the SM anime says enough about the first one.
    But I wonder if Pok?mon are able to grasp an understanding in music theory.

Can they somehow get things as decibel, frequency/hertz, or maybe how melodies can be made, among things.
    We have Pok?mon like Meloetta and Jigglypuff who have a musical touch, but I was wondering more about Pok?mon who have little relation to sound.

And what kind of music would certain kind of Pok?mon like?
    Would they like loud or soft music? Complex or simplicity?

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • Well... the enjoyment and understanding of music varies from individual
    to individual, and the influence a music casts could vary from one to an
    other just like in reality, not to mention that a same soundtrack can be
    interpreted in different ways.
    Something tells me that pok?mon might not have too much of a taste for
    a rap genre, since it's mostly based on assonances and rhymes(I think...),
    but again we don't exactly know how full the pok?mon's understanding of
    human speech is...
    They istantly react if they're tasked to use a certain move(this being across every continuity),
    yet there's some instances of the anime in which some talking won't help (erm...
    honestly, I can only remember when Ash hugged a rhyhorn on Pinkan Island and
    said rhyhorn didn't react well, but rhyhorns don't seem to be too developed) and
    lapras and lucario have, accordingly to the dex, a full understanding of human speech.
    I don't generally trust the dex, but a lucario can see auras and probably figure out
    what their associate is saying, not to mention that one in particular could use telepathic
    communication. As for lapras they can learn a few psychic abilities and, accordingly
    to the anime, also use telepathy.

As for "understanding" things as decibel and frequency, maybe some species somehow
    have a perception of such measures even if they don't exactly know those concepts.

For the composition of melodies, I know as much as you(or maybe even less),
    with the jigglypuff from the anime(whom appeared in Yellow and re-appeared
    in FR&LG) and meloetta.
    The sound effects for sing, grass whistle and perish song might suggest that those
    capable of learning such moves do, indeed follow a composition, but that's not certain...

One specific case I'd like to mention is the ukulele-equipped pichu from
    Pok?mon Ranger : Guardian signs. I just took a close listen to their pok?-assist,
    at the beginning the chords might seem a bit random, but then a short track
    takes shape.(click here)

Years
  • This is kind of a really broad question that I feel like depends on too many variables to definitively say for sure whether Pokemon understand music in the lyrical sense, or just understand the melodies in music. Although I have no actual evidence to support this myself, I'm still willing to hazard a pretty good guess that a majority of Pokemon that have about as much intelligence as your average human are able to understand therefore be able to enjoy music. As far as what kind... well, just like there isn't one kind of music that's appealing to humans, I don't think there's one particular genre of music that's appealing to all Pokemon out there.

Back