• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga One Punch Man [Weekly Anime Discussions Week 1]

Years
  • http://myanimelist.net/anime/30276/One_Punch_Man

The debut featured anime of the week for discussion is One Punch Man!

Spoiler: One Punch Man MAL Synopsis Inside

The seemingly ordinary and unimpressive Saitama has a rather unique hobby: being a hero. In order to pursue his childhood dream, he trained relentlessly for three years—and lost all of his hair in the process. Now, Saitama is incredibly powerful, so much so that no enemy is able to defeat him in battle. In fact, all it takes to defeat evildoers with just one punch has led to an unexpected problem—he is no longer able to enjoy the thrill of battling and has become quite bored.

This all changes with the arrival of Genos, a 19-year-old cyborg, who wishes to be Saitama's disciple after seeing what he is capable of. Genos proposes that the two join the Hero Association in order to become certified heroes that will be recognized for their positive contributions to society, and Saitama, shocked that no one knows who he is, quickly agrees. And thus begins the story of One Punch Man, an action-comedy that follows an eccentric individual who longs to fight strong enemies that can hopefully give him the excitement he once felt and just maybe, he'll become popular in the process.

VM me with your nominations for next week's thread within the next 3 days so I can get a poll up for next week's thread!

Let's get talking!

As for me, I've got nothing to contribute since I kind of haven't watched the series yet.

Years
  • I love this show, it is one of the very best things to grace the anime/manga world. ♥

Seeing Saitama kick people's butts with complete disinterest and no effort on his part is pretty great, makes me that much more excited for the (probably) inevitable final battle where he'll find someone closer to his match he can actually go all out against.

The author knows fights against Saitama would be one-sided so he does a lot of buildup in recent arcs by showcasing different characters and their struggles to overcome whatever's going on at the time. Garou arc especially, that guy's taken down so many opponents he almost looks like he'd be threatening to Saitama himself lol. But that probably won't happen.

Years
  • Can't see them ever pushing him to his limit, it's is a parody of things that do that and they wouldn't drop the main joke of the series for the final battle.

I guess they could have the final villain as somebody that ends every fight with one kick or something, but realistically it'll just be a huge amount of buildup and then poof.

Years
  • It's a fun show. But it's not as if it's getting people to dump their life savings into buying it's merch or anything.

"Saving anime" requires more than a vocal fanbase. Like I'd argue it's fanservice that's keeping the anime industry afloat for all the good or bad it means.

Years
  • Can't see them ever pushing him to his limit, it's is a parody of things that do that and they wouldn't drop the main joke of the series for the final battle.

That's all definitely understandable. I'd just like a battle like Boros but a little more long-lasting and slightly more difficult on Saitama's part. Heck if we'd ever see him actually suffer but it's still awesome when he does even if it's because he's holding back, haha. I loved the finale of the anime even if it was animated a little awkwardly at times.

Back