• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Slow computer

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • My computer crashes Chrome and slows the entire machine down whenever I watch a video for awhile or have too many images on screen. I feel like the fault is my graphics card as I sometimes see white artifacts on screen.

Clearing cache doesn't help. I'm honestly getting really tired of seeing "page unresponsive". When I'm even on the lightest of pages.

I tried doing a disc cleanup, but it lags tremendously & apparently defrag does that by itself. I don't think I have any programs that run on startup that cause slowdown, so I suspect my graphics card is completely to blame.

I have more than 100+ gb still available, so I know it isn't that.

Is there anything I can do to maybe fix this issue? I have no ability to replace a graphics card myself. I don't know what it could possibly be. I believe my Windows 10 is mostly up to date & so is Nivida. The only usual solution is shutting my computer off for awhile, but the problems have been daily, as of late. Whenever I turn my computer on, after an hour or so, the "page unresponsive" bs starts happening again.

I'm at a loss & I'm annoyed.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Try different browser in order to find out if it's just a browser issue.

I tried doing a disc cleanup, but it lags tremendously & apparently defrag does that by itself.
    SSD should never be defragged because it greatly shortens its lifespan, it's why Windows' built-in defragging tool and good defragging software don't even allow defragging SSD.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Try different browser in order to find out if it's just a browser issue.

SSD should never be defragged because it greatly shortens its lifespan, it's why Windows' built-in defragging tool and good defragging software don't even allow defragging SSD.

I have two browsers I use & the other one lags, too if Chrome is. So, it's definitely not.

... How do I know if my hard drive is a SSD or an HDD, though? My computer still has a CD drive, honestly.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • if you open up the run command and type in dfrgui it will tell you if you have an ssd or an hdd

Oh, you can do that?

My computer is kind of an older model, though (latitude e6400)

I'm thinking my issue is something is overclocking because the area around my fan gets really hot... I might just get a new laptop tbh.

Years
  • the e6400 is from 2008, so yeah that is old and likely comes with a hard drive. you could open up the device manager and look under disks and see what the drive's model is and google it from there

i have a computer from 2014 that even runs slow with chrome and other modern browsers, so maybe it's just time for an upgrade?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • the e6400 is from 2008, so yeah that is old and likely comes with a hard drive. you could open up the device manager and look under disks and see what the drive's model is and google it from there

i have a computer from 2014 that even runs slow with chrome and other modern browsers, so maybe it's just time for an upgrade?

Update: it's an hdd. I'll look into device manager later.

& It likely is time for an upgrade. I got this computer on ebay last year but tbh I can't afford high end so I always have to look for cheaper ones. x_x

Back