• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Pokémon game kit

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2020
    What's the best Pokémon kit that includes all necessary scripting in place? What's the best software to make an RPG with such a programming kit? I'm talking it should have monster catching, battling, and storage already ready to go so I just have to draw my monsters. This is NOT for a Pokémon fan game. It's a totally different RPG in which you can catch enemies, which has also been done in DragonQuest, Persona 5, and more. So it's not the Essentials kit I'm looking for. I've found some plugins but really don't know where to begin. I'm also looking for plugins for Zelda-style puzzle dungeons and a farming mechanism like Stardew Valley.

Thanks if you can help.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • You could essentially use Essentials for a Monster Catching Game like Dragon Quest Monsters.
    But, farming is minor in Essentials with only having the Berry System.

IDK too much about it, but I've seen lots of cool add-ons for RPG Maker VX, and RPG Maker MV.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Aren't we not allowed to use that anymore?

Not allowed to use what? Essentials?

That would really put a downer on every project in Game Development here on PC.

If i know correctly, it's pretty much become like ROM Hacking.
    We still use it, we just cannot provide links to it.
    You'll have to find Essentials on Google.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2020
    Even if I change every single audio-visual asset, would it still be illegal to actually release the game if it's just a Pokémon ROM hack?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Even if I change every single audio-visual asset, would it still be illegal to actually release the game if it's just a Pokémon ROM hack?

You can release the game. But as soon as there are any monetary ties to it you will get a cease and desist order. Even if it's just donations.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Little confused on if this is a ROM hack or something made with Essentials but when it comes to Essentials, you can't make any money off of it, even without pokemon assets.
    Can I make money off a fangame or a game made with Pokémon Essentials?
    Maruno, the creator of Pokémon Essentials, forbids anyone to make money off it.
    Maruno said:
    Pokémon Essentials was/is created with the sole intent of being absolutely free to use. This means that developers do not have to "buy" Essentials in order to use it, nor should anyone have to pay money to access or play any game created with Essentials (either at all or to purchase "perks" or other premium content that would be unavailable to non-payers; this includes paying for server costs or subscriptions, etc.). Optional payments also fall into this category, as they would still be a source of income even if they were voluntary. Monetised Internet links, such as those provided by adf.ly, are also not allowed. To earn money in any way from a game made with Essentials is unacceptable.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=414658

Back