• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Purpose of RP

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • I know nothing of the Role Player on PC but I just stumbled unto this and found it all to be pretty interesting.
    I wanted to know why do guys do this? Or why do you enjoy this.
    When you enter one of these Role-Playing threads, is it some kind of competition where the best will win or? Or is more about enjoy the process of developing characters.
    I'm only asking because I really don't know. I don't mean to insult or belittle.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • The purpose? That's simple, to have fun. It's really as simple as that.

As for why people roleplay...that varies. Some people do it to hone their writing and storytelling skills, others do it because it's fun, then there are those that simply do it because it gives them something to do. I, for instance, got into roleplaying because I wanted to be a game designer and, as such, I found roleplaying to be a great means to help me create and develop compelling characters for my later ventures. Really, the reasons people roleplay are about as varied as the people themselves.

Years
  • The purpose is as macho said, to have fun. For each of us though what makes RPing fun varies.

Personally I love the world building and storytelling elements of RP. There's nothing quite like creating these huge interactive stories and watching them play out.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    lol fox

I know nothing of the Role Player on PC but I just stumbled unto this and found it all to be pretty interesting.
    I wanted to know why do guys do this? Or why do you enjoy this.
    When you enter one of these Role-Playing threads, is it some kind of competition where the best will win or? Or is more about enjoy the process of developing characters.
    I'm only asking because I really don't know. I don't mean to insult or belittle.
    Welcome to the Roleplay Theatre then!

Like others have said here, I roleplay because it's so much fun. Most roleplays here aren't competitions, rather the gain lies in the satisfaction that comes from developing characters, relations and exciting plots. We usually write posts sort of as if we're writing a story together, which makes the flow genuine for a reader. That's also why roleplaying on this forum in English has done wonders for my writing skills.

But there are competitions too, most often in the form of events. Right now we have a competition where you can create the best super villian you can imagine and hope that the community votes for your entry! And know that no question is dumb here as long as you are not trying to be mean. I hope to see you roleplaying with us soon.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Thank you all for responding. I understand now.
    I'm not sure if I have the time to do it myself. But I'll try to follow some of these. There's some really great writing here.

Back