• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How To Make A Replay Fun

Years
  • Hey guys,

Background(skip this if you don't like to read):
    Just a couple days ago I bit the bullet and reset my White 2 save file. I decided to this because it's really the only Pokemon game I own and I did not know what to do with my pre-existing file. I didn't remember anything of what I was doing when I last played or what Pokemon I had, so since I really didn't have any attachment to the save file I just started over.

I got through the tutorials and up to where you go to Floccesy Ranch and talk to Alder and help the people find their Herdier, etc. and before leaving to the gym I decided I wanted to catch a Riolu. It took all of maybe 30-45 minutes to finally find one, but then I decided that Naive nature wasn't enough. And before I know it I've spent an hour and a half looking for the perfect Riolu before realizing, 'what am I doing? I'm never going to battle any real people, and I don't remember the core-game being that hard.'

So I guess what I'm asking is how do you guys suggest I play White 2 over again and make it enjoyable with no online connectivity and no friends playing it and considering that I have been burnt out on Pokemon for a while (or maybe it's more accurate to just say I'm burnt out on 5th gen because that's all I have) and I want to make it fun again. Should I try to get the perfect team or just play through casually and use the Pokemon I just think are cool?

I know it is ultimately just about what I want to do, but I don't know what I want to do so I just want some suggestions

Sorry for being wordy, thanks all ^^

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Hey guys,

Background(skip this if you don't like to read):
    Just a couple days ago I bit the bullet and reset my White 2 save file. I decided to this because it's really the only Pokemon game I own and I did not know what to do with my pre-existing file. I didn't remember anything of what I was doing when I last played or what Pokemon I had, so since I really didn't have any attachment to the save file I just started over.

I got through the tutorials and up to where you go to Floccesy Ranch and talk to Alder and help the people find their Herdier, etc. and before leaving to the gym I decided I wanted to catch a Riolu. It took all of maybe 30-45 minutes to finally find one, but then I decided that Naive nature wasn't enough. And before I know it I've spent an hour and a half looking for the perfect Riolu before realizing, 'what am I doing? I'm never going to battle any real people, and I don't remember the core-game being that hard.'

So I guess what I'm asking is how do you guys suggest I play White 2 over again and make it enjoyable with no online connectivity and no friends playing it and considering that I have been burnt out on Pokemon for a while (or maybe it's more accurate to just say I'm burnt out on 5th gen because that's all I have) and I want to make it fun again. Should I try to get the perfect team or just play through casually and use the Pokemon I just think are cool?

I know it is ultimately just about what I want to do, but I don't know what I want to do so I just want some suggestions

Sorry for being wordy, thanks all ^^

To spice up playthroughs, many players try specific challenges such as Monotype, Nuzlocke or other quirky parameters meant to give you a challenge when playing through the game. When doing these challenges, nature doesn't really factor into the equation because 1) They're not battling other people and 2) They don't have the luxury to try and find the ideal nature for that particular Pokemon. Recommend you hit up Challenges to get an idea as to what other players are doing and whether or not you like a particular challenge.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Exactly what CodeHelmet said, Challenges are great ways to keep games interesting as well as a great way to use Pokemon you've never used before. I know I was tired of 5th gen for awhile but once i did a challenge where only 3 mons were allowed on my team, excluding HM slaves that is, I found the game enjoyable again. Plus it gave me reason to use 3 mons i had never used before, Leavanny, Stoutland, and Scrafty.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    What you could also do is post a travel journal. C: We'd love to read about your journey through Unova and it will make you feel like you do have friends playing through it cuz we will all hopefully comment. And if we don't comment you know we're reading it!

I also agree with a challenge and I think a Nuzlocke always makes things more fun.

Also you should call your travel journal an adventure log because that sounds so much more fun than travel journal.

Years
  • I'm also with the idea of posting a travel journal thread on showing your progress. I'm sure we'd all love to see how your Unova adventure goes!

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • For what it's worth Naive is a good nature for the Lucario as neither attack stat is hurt and you can go mixed attacking and still have a speed enhancing nature. Also Figtting type is great in the Unova games with all those Dark and Normal types around.

I have replayed Gen 5 multiple times and have done:

Grass Monotypes in both White and White 2
    Nuzlocke in Black
    Psychic Monotype in White 2 (Gothita as 'starter')
    Run in Black where I used Pokemon I haven't before and keeping my starter Oshawott unevolved.

You could do an unconventional playthrough using Riolu as your 'starter' and post your journey here.

Years
  • I have replayed Gen 5 multiple times and have done:

Grass Monotypes in both White and White 2
    Nuzlocke in Black
    Psychic Monotype in White 2 (Gothita as 'starter')
    Run in Black where I used Pokemon I haven't before and keeping my starter Oshawott unevolved.

You could do an unconventional playthrough using Riolu as your 'starter' and post your journey here.

These are interesting ideas I'll have to try sometime although I've already gotten to Castelia City, there's no going back now.

So far I'm having fun, I turned attack animations and set my battle type to set which are two changes to the way I usually play which I think is enhancing the experience a bit for me. I do like the idea of doing an 'adventure log'(travel journal sounds pretty cool to me too anyways), so I will most likely do that unless I get swamped with school work or something. Should I post it here, or create my own thread, or revive that old thread from 2013 (lol)?

Also what do you mean exactly by "using Riolu as your 'starter' "? Do you mean just boxing Oshawott and catching riolu asap? Which if that's the case, there is a good chance I may not use Oshawott for too long anyway.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Spoiler:

I think a new thread could be made for the journal.

Yes. Although whilst you can use Riolu as your starter/main Pokemon you do not necessarily need to box Oshawott right away as it is a good Pokemon.

Incidentally in Castelia City you can catch Eevee and evolve it into whichever Pokemon you need to fill your teams needs.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Defo make a new thread so everyone can follow along! :) Call it whatever you want as long as you have fun doing it.

Years
  • And remember that if you ever have questions about the game, you can always post a help thread! Good luck with your Unova adventure.

Back