• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starting out

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 24, 2017
Hey guys, I'd like to start collecting the TC (not to play the game but just want all the pokemon) but not sure where to start, is there a way to collect all generations using packs? Like if I collected xy packs would I get the original 151 in them along with the newer gens?

Thanks

Last edited:
Years
Hey guys, I'd like to start collecting the TC (not to play the game but just want all the pokemon) but not sure where to start, is there a way to collect all generations using packs? Like if I collected xy packs would I get the original 151 in them along with the newer gens?

Thanks

You sort of can. The thing is, some Pokemon only have maybe 2 or 3 cards in the history of the game due to varying reasons. Like Kadabra hasn't had a card printed since one of the early Gym sets because Uri Geller filed suit in Japan for using his likeness since Kadabra's name in Japanese is basically "UriGeller", iirc. But you shouldn't have difficulty obtaining a variety of Pokemon from the XY series sets.

Keep in mind that collecting for Pokemon specifically will mean that your collection won't ever have what is actually a "complete set" since TCG collectors don't value complete pokedex complete sets. TCG collectors favor complete TCG sets like a complete Base Set, for example (as in the collection has everything released in a given TCG booster set rather than all of the Pokemon of a given generation).

If you want a set that focuses on the original 151 (but doesn't have ALL of them), XY Evolutions and XY Generations are the sets you want.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 24, 2017
Thanks so much :) I just want a complete pokedex for nostalgia reasons I guess, just so I can say "I caught em'all" could I get the likes of kadabra as a single card then?

Years
Thanks so much :) I just want a complete pokedex for nostalgia reasons I guess, just so I can say "I caught em'all" could I get the likes of kadabra as a single card then?

If you can find it anywhere, yeah, you can. Looking at it, there are 4 sets where it was released as just "Kadabra": Base Set, Legendary Collection (looks identical to the Base Set release except it has a medallion on it), Expedition, and Skyridge. The Legendary Collection version also has an alternate holo version that looks like this: http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=47189, while the Expedition and Skyridge ones have alternate holos that basically just look like the whole card had a plain holofoil layer applied to it.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
There are other Pokémon that you can't get from XY sets though. The ones that come to mind are Abra (for reasons to do with Kadabra's ban, Alakazam got an EX card though), Sunkern, Sunflora (RIP), Archen, and Archeops, although there are likely more.

Back