• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Macross/Robotech Rights Dispute Ends with an Agreement

Years
  • https://twitter.com/macross_bigwest/status/1380311106908946440

Basically, what has happened is that Japanese rights-holders to Macross, Big West Ltd, and the American rights holders to Robotech, Harmony Gold Ltd, have finally reached an agreement that allows for Macross to finally be distributed internationlly again.

I've not seen any of this franchise yet, but this is absolutely huge news for fans of the series as well as for the anime community as a whole.

Years
  • I didn't know there was even an issue. Why was there a rights dispute to begin with?

Whoops, forgot to reply, but basically, the issue is that it was coproduced by two companies within Japan, then one sold off the international licensing rights without the consent of the other company, and this situation remained the status quo basically from the time the sale happened until now.

Years
  • Whoops, forgot to reply, but basically, the issue is that it was coproduced by two companies within Japan, then one sold off the international licensing rights without the consent of the other company, and this situation remained the status quo basically from the time the sale happened until now.

Yikes. What happened to the company that sold? There must have been some sort of penalty for that.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Harmony Gold still exists? I honestly thought that company was long dead by now...

but at least they finally settled this legal battle? I only watched Macross delta, though, tbh, so I don't see me watching any others that might get brought here internationally. I'm just not interested.

Back