• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music The Phantom of the Opera

Years
I was sad earlier this month to read that Andre Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera was leaving Broadway. After nearly 40 years the musical will close on Broadway in early 2023 I think, unless it is extended. I know that all things must come to an end at some point, no matter how good, but the Phantom had been there for so long that it was easy to feel like it would always be there forever. It's such a great and iconic musical, and I will miss it. Covid shutdown hit Broadway very hard, and this expensive show was one that suffered especially I hear. I would have liked to have seen it one last time, but I don't think it will be possible for me to travel to New York to see it by spring.

I was wondering if anyone else out there likes the Phantom of the Opera? Maybe you have even seen the stage show on Broadway or elsewhere like West End or on tour the Las Vegas Spectacular, caught the 2004 movie, the 25th anniversary concert or have heard the original London cast album? As you might have noticed- I am a phan.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I like the movie and I like listening to Sarah Brightman singing Phantom of the Opera and I know that she has also performed in the stage show. I've thought about wanting to see the stage show but I never got a chance to see.

Years
I was on a POTO forum once that is now defunct, and had the Original London cast album with Michael Crawford, Sarah Brightman and Steve Barton, and the original Canadian cast highlights with Colm Wilkinson and Rebecca Caine. I have seen the movie with Gerard Buter and Emmy Rossum, the 25 anniversary show starring Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggess, Hadley Fraiser. I have watched several recordings that collectors have found (but not filmed personally) of live shows with a lot of Phantoms over the years like Hugh Panaro, John Owen-Jones, John Cudia, Anthony Crivello, Gary Mauer and many more. I decided to skip the sequel Loves Never Dies though, only the Phantom stage show interests me.

Years
I normally feel that most shows shouldn't last longer than two-to-three years on Broadway, but for Phantom...I can make an exception. I'm beyond devastated that it is finally closing - it really feels like the end of an era. No offense to the current shows right now, but from the sets to the lighting...it's just Better. I've been a phan since I first saw the movie at like 13, and even had a phantom inspired username for nearly 15 years.

I'm lucky to have seen it live once in 2006 in NYC with Jennifer Hope Wells & Howard McGillin, and actually still have my Playbill. I've seen the movie countless times, but never...managed to make it through the 1989 Robert Englund adaptation. It was too scary for me :pleading_face: I also saw the slightly shortened version in Las Vegas back in 2011.

The original soundtrack is perfection, as is the 25th Anniversary's recording. For those who don't know, ALW recently posted a compilation album featuring cast recordings from other countries on Spotify.

I decided to skip the sequel Loves Never Dies though, only the Phantom stage show interests me.
For the best! Love Never Dies is decidedly Not Good. Everything about it just takes what was "good" about the plot of the original show and tosses it on its head. I think it's because Hal Prince wasn't involved. I think I remember seeing a documentary from around 2005 that, if I remember right, really showed how Hal reined in ALW's vision and made the show what it is today. That said, some of the music is good.

Back