• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Help Request] Thinking of writing a fic, tips appreciated!

Years
  • I don't know if this is the right tag but oh well

After reading a couple of Pokemon fics I've been hit with inspiration for my own; a sort of altered take on the Pokemon games where the events of the anime, manga, and games themselves coexist. In a mish-mashy way. Not 100% certain that I'm actually gonna write this but in case I do, any suggestions?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • First and foremost, know your source material. And if you don't know it, research. Always research first. The characters, especially, if you're going to write them. Since you want to do a Pokemon world where it's the games, manga, and anime in one lore, I recommend researching the Pokedex Holders on Bulbapedia.

If you struggle at first, maybe start an outline before writing. But, this might not work for everyone. Since you're young, taking inspiration is good, but try not to copy and find your own muse.

But, that's all I can tell you since I'm a rather unconventional writer with 16 years of writing experience and everyone is different.

Bay

Years
  • One thing I think will benefit you in the long run and someone your age is to start off small (by small like a short story or one that is only a few parts long). The biggest mistake young writers your age do is to start an ambitious epic but then burned out within some chapters. You can definitely do several short stories that have the canons of the games, manga, and anime co-exist and there have been cases like myself where we take a little inspiration from each. Otherwise seconding on doing research and perhaps outline too.

Years
  • You're planning to mash three very distinct pieces of lore together, that's not going to be easy since a lot of it is actually contradictory. I'd suggest instead of just combining everything from all three sources, be more selective and take pieces you like from all three.

I'm also going to second what the others have said. Start small and give yourself an outline to work from so you're not overextending before you're ready and don't have to rely entirely on having fresh inspiration in the moment. If you're planning to use canon characters, make sure you know them well and can write them in a way that doesn't contradict who they are. Wiki-dive to make sure you understand them.

Years
  • You're planning to mash three very distinct pieces of lore together, that's not going to be easy since a lot of it is actually contradictory. I'd suggest instead of just combining everything from all three sources, be more selective and take pieces you like from all three.
    That's basically what I was going to do

also thanks for the advice everyone :)
    If I do it I'll probably just write a couple of chapters to start and see how I feel from there before posting anything.

Back