• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Normalize Metagame

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I think it would be interesting to have a metagame where all Pokemon and moves are Normal type (everything else would be the same). This would require Pokemon to rely on their stats to deal damage and tank hits. Furthermore, it would eliminate the need for coverage moves and allow Pokemon to choose moves based on accuracy, priority, base power and secondary effects. Former Ground-types and Electric-types would be vulnerable to Thunder Wave. Pokemon with poor defensive typing would become viable, and Pokemon that excelled due to their defensive typing. Due to the lack of coverage moves, sets would be free to include more support moves. Here are some examples of how this would affect competitive sets.

Sub CM "Mixed" Attacker
    Espeon @ Leftovers
    Magic Bounce
    Timid Nature | 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Calm Mind
    Substitute
    Synchronoise
    Psyshock

With abilities, stats and movepools being the only differentiating features between Pokemon, Espeon would shine in this metagame. For those who are unaware, Synchronoise is a 120 BP move that only hits Pokemon of the same type. But in the Normalize metagame, all Pokemon would be the same type. So it would go from being a completely useless move to one that is great with no drawbacks. Psyshock would allow Espeon to hit specially defensive Pokemon. Without Steel, Ground and Grass types, the number of status absorbers would be much lower, so having Espeon to bounce back these moves would be extremely helpful.

Stallbreaker
    Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Poison Heal
    Careful Nature | 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
    Roost
    Taunt / Knock Off
    Toxic / Knock Off
    Return

While Gliscor would hate losing 2 resistances and 3 immunities, status absorbers would be extremely important in this metagame. Furthermore, stall would likely be more common, with no super effective attacks. Gliscor would be able to completely absorb status while preventing the foes from using non-attacking moves (relegating them to their one/two attacking moves). Knock Off might be useful for removing Leftovers from the foe's team, though Toxic + Taunt would probably be preferable.

Utility
    Claydol @ Light Clay
    Levitate
    Calm Nature | 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Psyshock / Earth Power
    Rapid Spin

Claydol would become the only spinner to be immune to Spikes, Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes. Furthermore, with dual screens up, the opposing team would likely need to setup in order to do any reasonable amount of damage to Claydol's teammates. Obviously, the choice between the one attack would be based on whether you wanted to hit physically or specially defensive Pokemon.

These are just some examples. Does anyone have any thoughts about any sets that would become viable? Or perhaps some unintended effects the new rules would have on the metagame? Would any Pokemon currently allowed in OU play become too powerful? Would any Ubers be nerfed enough to be used? Would any currently viable Pokemon become unviable?

Years
  • Honestly... type effectiveness and planning around that is part of what makes the game fun for me. Ignoring how broken ghost pokemon would be, I think this meta would actually be pretty boring (no offence intended).

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Honestly... type effectiveness and planning around that is part of what makes the game fun for me. Ignoring how broken ghost pokemon would be, I think this meta would actually be pretty boring (no offence intended).

I figured not everyone would think the idea was interesting, but I still think there would be some unintended effects from the rule changes that might make it more interesting. Though I don't get how Ghost Pokemon would be broken, since they would be Normal type.

Years
  • I figured not everyone would think the idea was interesting, but I still think there would be some unintended effects from the rule changes that might make it more interesting. Though I don't get how Ghost Pokemon would be broken, since they would be Normal type.

I am not gonna lie, I had a very stupid moment and didn't realise you also made all the types change to normal. I was just thinking of the normalise ability.

Years
  • I personally love this idea as it would allow better use of more niche moves to shine that are currently by-passed in the current meta. That said I feel this would be a love it or hate it meta, relying more on out-thinking your opponent. As a result battles would be more drawn-out without super effective moves and possibly less interesting to watch.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I personally love this idea as it would allow better use of more niche moves to shine that are currently by-passed in the current meta. That said I feel this would be a love it or hate it meta, relying more on out-thinking your opponent. As a result battles would be more drawn-out without super effective moves and possibly less interesting to watch.

I agree that it would be a love it or hate it metagame, along with all of the Other Metagames. I think that this metagame would be more like Monotype, which restricts gameplay in order to make things more interesting. Many of the OMs make gameplay more interesting by giving the player more options (e.g., Mix and Mega, STABmons, AAA, etc.). As to your point, it likely would make battles more drawn out, though it is important to note that there would also be no resistances. This means that Pokemon that would normally serve as fullstop counters to many setup sweepers would have to rely on Encore, hazing/phazing, Taunt, etc., and good prediction to counter setup sweepers. Most Pokemon do not have the bulk necessary to sponge boosted, unresisted moves. Still, I do agree that the battles would generally tend to be more drawn out. But while many deride that style of gameplay, I love it. I loved stall in GSC and to a lesser extent RSE. I think part of the reason it was so effective was because there were fewer offensive options.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    As interesting as it sounds, I think this sort of metagame wouldn't be all different from the current meta except you can't take advantage of type effectiveness anymore. Additionally, (this is a bit of theorymoning, obviously) strong mixed attackers with great offensive stats will dominate everything unless you're packing something that can sponge attacks from both side of the spectrum (and without resistances, that's pretty difficult to achieve). I think at that point, it'd become too boring to play, although that's just my opinion.

Back