• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacker responsible for setting off all 156 emergency sirens in Dallas

Years
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rs-all-156-emergency-sirens-dallas/100212412/

Dallas city officials said Saturday that a hacker is to blame for setting off all the city's 156 emergency outdoor sirens, which wailed for an hour and half overnight.

Rocky Vaz, director of the city's Office of Emergency Management, said engineers determined an unidentified hacker somewhere in the Dallas area was responsible, but has not been tracked down.

The hacker tricked the system to send repeat signals activating each siren 60 times during the night, Vaz said. The sirens started sounding at 11:42 p.m. Friday and continued until 1:17 a.m. Saturday.

The blaring sirens, used primarily to warn of tornadoes and other severe weather, prompted anxious residents to call 911, clogging up that system. At one point, 911 calls were backed up for six minutes instead of the normal wait time of 10 seconds.

Dallas spokeswoman Sana Syed said the 911 system was bombarded with over 4,400 calls between 11:30 p.m. and 3:00 a.m., double the number for a normal, eight-hour period overnight.

Mayor Mike Rawlings said in a statement that the hack was an attack on Dallas' emergency notification system, and that the city will "find and prosecute whomever is responsible."

"This is yet another serious example of the need for us to upgrade and better safeguard our city's technology infrastructure," he posted on Facebook. "It's a costly proposition, which is why every dollar of taxpayer money must be spent with critical needs such as this in mind. Making the necessary improvements is imperative for the safety of our citizens."

Vaz said he expects the emergency siren system to be back in operation by Monday afternoon.

Locating the hacker, however, "is going to be a very long process if we do find out who actually did it," Vaz said. The Federal Communication Commission is helping in the investigation, he added.

Although it may not directly be technology-related, I thought this was an interesting story to share here. This can show you that hacking occurs even outside of the digital world without the need of a computer, although a computer may have been used as the source of the signals.

So what do y'all think on this?

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I live right next to a siren, and this would drive me crazy. It drives me crazy when a weekly test goes long. Can't imagine over an hour.

Years
I live right next to a siren, and this would drive me crazy. It drives me crazy when a weekly test goes long. Can't imagine over an hour.
From what I've seen on reddit, it was actually anywhere between 12AM-4AM, but the total sounding time accumulated to 90 minutes. Several people were saying that it was in bursts of like 10 minutes of going off, then silence until they started sounding again in another ten minutes.

I really do hope that they capture the suspect here. At least the FCC is part of the investigation as well, considering how it does involve radio transmissions.

Years
I think it's bad that my first thought isn't about the repercussions of such a thing happening and what it could mean for other systems....but instead is about wondering how loud it must have been to hear all those.

Years
This is pretty bad, but imagine of they hacked into traffic lights...the results could be worse.
I'm sure traffic signal infrastructures are far more secure than a siren system. Just imagine what would happen if it did occur; the municipality would basically either have to face large lawsuits or even a fine.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
This is pretty bad, but imagine of they hacked into traffic lights...the results could be worse.
I think that traffic lights have a sort of standalone cabinet somewhere at the side of the street to control them, so the possibility of them being hacked is quite low.
But yeah, if such an event would happen it will surely cause severe damage and possibly even major injuries.

On the sirens topic: I heard about this just this morning.
We have no sirens or EAS in my country, the only thing I'm aware of is some mobile phone cell broadcast system, which is sometimes used by authorities to quickly spread messages to people in case of an emergency.
But now I imagine myself with all those sirens screaming... I would totally go crazy over that noise and I would react in the same way those people did.

Years
I think that traffic lights have a sort of standalone cabinet somewhere at the side of the street to control them, so the possibility of them being hacked is quite low.
But yeah, if such an event would happen it will surely cause severe damage and possibly even major injuries.
Even though this is true, do keep in mind that a lot of their control boxes are digital and have the possibility of being remotely programmed at a central office by the municipality, too.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years

There aren't nearly enough police officers to run every intersection, either...

I really hope the hacker gets caught. He is stealing taxpayer dollars and clogging up 911, which might have prevented people from getting the help they actually need.

Back