• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Newbie Grass Deck

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I've recently started again after an 11 year hiatus from the TCG, so I'm pretty much a new player all over again. I've gotten ahold of some stuff and have cobbled together (near enough anyway) a deck to ease me back into it, it's as follows:

POKEMON: 19

3x Tangela (SS)
2x Tangrowth (SS)
2x Kricketot (BP)
2x Kricketune (BP)
2x Venusaur Ex (XY123)
3x Yanma (SS)
3x Yanmgega (SS)
2x Yanmega Break (SS)

ENERGY: 15

11 x Grass
4 x DCE

TRAINERS - 26

2x Heavy Ball
3x Ultra Ball
3x Judge
3x Prof. Sycamore
2x VS Seeker
3x Float Stone
3x Tierno
2x Forest of Giant Plants
2x Professor's letter
3x Pokemon fan Club
3x Switch

The main gist of it is to get Yanmega BREAK out front and center, Venusaur EX is just there to stall as it heals itself for 30 whilst dealing 90 of its attacks and does a clean 60 with added poison on another. Kricketot is really there just to get other cards out of the deck as quick as possible and Kricketune is there to do some early damage if possible. Tangrowth deals 80 on three energies and heals 40 from all your in play grass pokemon so really thats there to throw out mid match and start healing up the bench and keeping more prominent hitters in the game. I understand my trainer selection is a little haphazard, that's more a case of working in my means. I might drop the switches (really just there to pull Tangrowth back after he's healed a few) or the float stones and put maybe a few Hex maniacs or N's or something in their place.

Really I'm a little rusty on what trainers are useful now and what would really help support this deck so wouldn't turn down a little advice. Outside of fire decks is there anything I should be super concerned about facing?

Many thanks for any help

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
*Looks up Yanmega* IS THIS THE RETURN OF YANMEGA PRIME DECKS????

Honestly, I'd blow off everything that isn't Yanmega and bump that to a 4-4-4 line. I have no idea if this would work in standard, but a similar deck worked incredibly well in the HGSS-on meta. I mean, it ran a few other mons, but Yanmega was the core.

Yanmega's ability allows it to attack for NO ENERGY if you have 4 cards in your hand. The trainer line, even if you just keep your current Pokemon, needs to play into that. Judge is the most obvious option, Bycicle is also obligated, Prof. Birch does the job half the time, then play lots of trade-off cards like Ultra Ball to reduce your hand size. A quad of VS Seekers would be needed to reuse Judges. Evosoda is nice to find those pesky Yanmegas, and Forest of Giant Plants hypothetically allows you to start hitting for 100 on turn 1. Stalling should not be necessary at all, as this is a rush deck. Kriketot could help I suppose, but Tune is a waste of a deck slot.

I kinda ranted there, and some of it was off topic. Just adjust your trainer line to meet Yanmega's standards.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
*Looks up Yanmega* IS THIS THE RETURN OF YANMEGA PRIME DECKS????

Honestly, I'd blow off everything that isn't Yanmega and bump that to a 4-4-4 line. I have no idea if this would work in standard, but a similar deck worked incredibly well in the HGSS-on meta. I mean, it ran a few other mons, but Yanmega was the core.

Yanmega's ability allows it to attack for NO ENERGY if you have 4 cards in your hand. The trainer line, even if you just keep your current Pokemon, needs to play into that. Judge is the most obvious option, Bycicle is also obligated, Prof. Birch does the job half the time, then play lots of trade-off cards like Ultra Ball to reduce your hand size. A quad of VS Seekers would be needed to reuse Judges. Evosoda is nice to find those pesky Yanmegas, and Forest of Giant Plants hypothetically allows you to start hitting for 100 on turn 1. Stalling should not be necessary at all, as this is a rush deck. Kriketot could help I suppose, but Tune is a waste of a deck slot.

I kinda ranted there, and some of it was off topic. Just adjust your trainer line to meet Yanmega's standards.

The only issue I have with running pure Yanmega is that lightning pokemon will slay the deck in no time flat, which is kinda why fatties like Venusaur were thrown in.

Trainer wise I'll push for what you suggested, I'm just a little short of cards right now. Got a few things coming in the mail so can hopefully put your suggestions into practice trainerwise.

Yeah, looking at Kricketune it really is just wasting space, even with its relatively cheap playability. I might drop both Tunes for an extra Yanma and Yanmega Break and just keep the Tots for grabbing all I need on one energy

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Back