• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a hack for FR/LG or R/S/E that recreates G/S/C without adding anything extra?

Maxiryu

The badass Dratini
Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2020
    I've been really enjoying some of the hacks, in particular 'Pokemon Throwback', 'Emerald Final', 'Crystal Clear' and 'Perfect Crystal'. However, I'm looking for a hack that recreates the Gen2 games on the Gen3 engine (if that's an applicable term). Why? Because after FireRed, it's really hard to go back to the older graphics, plus the overall GSC gameplay feels a bit wonkier somehow. I've also noticed that there are very few Gen4 hacks too, so HG/SS hacks just aren't an option, I guess. (Are they?)
    I've searched on different hack sites, asked around on reddit (I think I've annoyed the people there with this quest of mine) and did find hacks like 'Shiny Gold' (and it's own mods) and 'Liquid Crystal', but they add new stuff into the game, stuff that wasn't there in the original Gen2 games, such as extra pokemon, new items, new rivals, and increased difficulty.
    If extra pokemon and items are fine, the new characters and added difficulty annoy me greatly, as I just want to get through the game/ story, not do more grinding. In fact, just a few days ago I was playing 'Liquid Crystal', and right before leaving Azalea Town to explore the local forest, I got challenged by the pointy-haired rival. He beat me pretty quickly, then I battled him a second time, and beat him with only one pokemon remaining that's had only half its health left, and I used up all of my potions. Just as I wanted to celebrate, Silver showed up and pwnd me, forcing me to battle him a second time (good thing it was just him this time). Why? Why would anyone want something like this? (don't answer that). I know that added difficulty is very popular with the community and that many hacks have it. But what about us simple folk who just want the vanilla experience with better visuals and smoother gameplay?

So, TLDR: Is there a hack for FR/LG or R/S/E that recreates G/S/C without adding anything extra, just for us casuals?

Thank you.

Years
  • Pokemon Crystal Dust is the one you are looking for my friend... It's the faithful Gen 3 remake of Pokemon Crystal created by Diegoisawesome or domoreawesome. You should definitely try it. Its in Beta at the moment and goes upto sudowoodo event i guess... You should definitely check it out and keep an eye on this one.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I mean, HGSS are essentially the vanilla Johto experience, and you won't find or battle any Pokémon from gen 3/4 until the post-game. Although of course there are new moves, abilities, P/S split, etc. I don't know how faithful do you want it to be to the original GSC games, but even if it's a straightforward Gen 3 remake of Gen 2 it will still include new stuff like abilities and certain moves that didn't exist in Gen 2 games (unless they do actually remove abilities from the engine), and probably even the P/S split as well. It won't be just literally the same game but with better graphics.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Pokemon Crystal Dust is the one you are looking for my friend... It's the faithful Gen 3 remake of Pokemon Crystal created by Diegoisawesome or domoreawesome. You should definitely try it. Its in Beta at the moment and goes upto sudowoodo event i guess... You should definitely check it out and keep an eye on this one.

I agree with this post.

Crystaldust is basically vanilla Johto but in a GBA format.

Back