• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] Are Pokéballs secretly mind controlling devices?

Jiggykoopbob

Local Pokémon loving Goomba. (Flair theme: SM64DS)
Years
  • Im so certain someone has already posted a thread just like this one on this forum somewhere. But anyway, hear me out.

So you are just playing a typical Pokémon video game and you get into a fight with a wild Pokémon, you weaken it by draining its health until it almost faints and you successfully catch it with a Pokéball.
    This Pokémon is now part of your roster of selectable Pokémon to send out in battle. But have you ever actually given it a bit of thought...

Why is this Pokémon suddenly not hostile to you anymore after you caught it?
    Why does it suddenly obey every command you give it in battle?
    Why does it slowly grow to like you as you walk around or do other certain things with it?

For me, now it feels a bit awkward to send out a Pokémon i just caught in the wild to battle and for it to suddenly fight for you like its life depends on it. Not to mention that your Pokémon really doesn't
    seem to care what your goal is whether it be trying to become the champion or trying to become a Pokémon contest/showcase master or whatever it is.

Is it ever actually explained somewhere in official Pokémon related media why Pokémon 95% of the time become friendly to you if you catch them using a Pokéball? If so, then i'd like to know. It would be
    really cool if you could somehow befriend a Pokémon before you even engage with it in a fight. Sort of like how a good chunk of Ash's Pokémon grew to find him worthy before he even attempted to yank
    a Pokéball at them. Correct me if i am wrong in any of this.

I could also be overthinking this and things are not as they seem like.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, it doesn't really make much sense, and it never will. Legends Arceus does throw a few hints but even then there's no actual explanation on how exactly Pokéballs are supposed to work.

What we get in the main games is an overly simplified representation (for gameplay reasons) of what the actual wild Pokémon life would be like. Legends Arceus, however, presents a less simplistic approach, showing that not all Pokémon behave the same way, and things aren't as simple as every Pokémon just being a natively hostile creature with a hostility switch that you instantly turn off the moment you catch them. Some wild Pokémon are friendly, and will actually never attack you unless you attack them first. Some will quickly hide or run away, and some are aggressive and will attack the moment you invade their territory. Some Pokémon are even described as outright dangerous creatures that could potentially even kill humans if left unchecked so there's essentially no choice but to subdue them.

Friendly Pokémon, such as Bidoof, Roselia, Aipom, or Machop, can easily adapt, coexist, and willingly play and work together with humans, so technically you don't need Pokéballs to befriend them, and there are in fact a few characters you meet in the game that have Pokémon without having Pokéballs. So, becoming friends with Pokémon and training them is something that can happen naturally, Pokéballs supposedly don't enslave or brainwash them, or do anything that couldn't be achieved otherwise, they just somehow speed up or streamline the process, and allows taming even the more difficult species to deal with.

So, from what I understand, Pokéballs exist mainly for the more troublesome Pokémon that would be extremely hard to tame otherwise. From a gameplay perspective, however, I imagine something like that would be too complicated to implement.

Years
  • It's definitely more complex than that. We've had episodes in the anime where caught Pokémon were still disobeying and displayed unhappiness from being with that particular person (Team Rocket's Grookey before Goh caught it comes to mind as the most recent case). I think it's more of a respect thing - when captured that Pokémon may start respecting the person who got them and be more willing to obey. Doesn't apply for all Pokémon, but generally I think capturing does condition them to be calmer.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't think it's so much that Pokemon are being mind controlled through Pokeballs, just tamed. You're probably just overthinking it, honestly. I believe the Pokeball was created because of Primeape being out of control, but I could be wrong. In the anime, it's shown not all Pokemon Obey immediately, so I highly doubt Pokemon are being mind controlled by Pokeballs when caught.

Back