• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Pokemon Sword & Shield sales figures

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • i'm not a swsh megafan or anything but i find it vindicating that it's done so well even without having other games in its gen to count alongside it. the games faced so much negativity even before release so i'm just sitting here lacing my fingers together and laughing. i love a good underdog story.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • i'm not a swsh megafan or anything but i find it vindicating that it's done so well even without having other games in its gen to count alongside it. the games faced so much negativity even before release so i'm just sitting here lacing my fingers together and laughing. i love a good underdog story.
    I'm less feeling it being a case of an underdog, and more an effect of two things:

- Bad press is sometimes good press - all the noise about the failings of the game simply put the game in headlines, twitter trends multiple times, and so forth. The controversy did the advertising for Game Freak/TPCi.

- It's the Switch. The thing is selling like hotcakes, with multiple franchises (Paper Mario, Pikmin, LoZ, etc) easily having their best selling titles on the Switch, even if in the case of Pikmin that game is just an enhanced port. Arguably it would have been a failure of SwSh to not sell so well, or at least break a bunch of records (currently third behind gen 1 and 2 sales). And hey, for me personally there was still certainly fun to be had.

But certainly I don't think the series has ever had this much negativity and criticism than ever before, and something must have contributed to that. And that's not an achievement to be proud of.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    oh yeah that reminds me

You can see it in the link I posted in post #6, but Sword & Shield is at 21 million copies sold. Which is crazy, no Pokemon game has passed the 20 million mark since Gold/Silver, and 21 million puts SwSh 2-3 million away from it.

(also sorry that the graphs in the OP are outdated, Microsoft thinks it's cute to charge $$$ for Excel)

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I think thats in part to them being 30 dollars more then previous generation games.

Back