• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon the movie 2018

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Interesting that this movie may have a focus on Lugia. I appreciated that M20 took off from the first episode and used that to give (actual) Ho-oh the focus of a movie for the first time in the series. With that said, not that they can't focus on the same legendary again, but Lugia already had its own movie (in my opinion, a great one at that) so I wonder why they may choose Lugia again for this next movie.

...Not that I would complain. I'm biased because Johto is one of my favorite regions, and I loved that M20 had a lot of focus on gen 2 and gen 4, in addition to its obvious gen 1 basis. If this movie incorporates a lot of gen 5 as well, then chances are I'm going to really enjoy it...

Maybe Gen 8 will take place in Johto

Years
  • The OS movies were more better, they had a lot of work put into them. The animation was far more interesting and the story telling was very mature.

The AG/DP era movies were ok, but they weren't all that great.

I say the same for OS movies.

Only Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown and Pokemon 4Ever are great, the others aren't that great
    They put a lot of effort in the DP movies as you can realize it is the first official trilogy of movies in the Pokemon movie franchise. I agree AG movies aren't that great though, they're even worse than OS except by Lucario and Mystery of Mew.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Just a reminder that this thread is about Pokemon The Movie 2018 and not about the other movies. Lets try and stay on topic.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • The OS movies are the only Pokemon Movies I cared about... the others are filler nonsense. Pokemon: I choose you and Pokemon Movie 2018, took a bold and exciting new step forward and created it's own continuity. Now it has its own plot, it's own conflict, and it's own spin on a Pokemon story that had diverged from the TV series.

I'm looking forward to Pokemon 2018, and I hope WIT studios give us some of the most stylistic battles since XY.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    The OS movies are the only Pokemon Movies I cared about... the others are filler nonsense. Pokemon: I choose you and Pokemon Movie 2018, took a bold and exciting new step forward and created it's own continuity. Now it has its own plot, it's own conflict, and it's own spin on a Pokemon story that had diverged from the TV series.

I'm looking forward to Pokemon 2018, and I hope WIT studios give us some of the most stylistic battles since XY.
    No. I said this thread was about the 2018 movie. I get that you like the OS movies more but the movies after OS movies are not filler nonsense. Saying that makes me think OS movies are unlikable and filler nonsense in my opinion. They took the wrong step with the gen 7 movies in my opinion.

Please stay on topic and use "in my opinion" to avoid stating things as facts when they are not.

The 2018 movie has not shown anything to make me hyped in my opinion. If this movie is showing love to kanto like the previous, then i am even less of a fan of this movie in my opinion.

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • I think people generally know what an opinion is without it having to be said.

I haven't watched the I choose you movie, I have seen a little bit of footage of the movie 2018, but I don't see how you can form an opinion about it when we've seen so little of it?

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • This video seems to have some interesting things, particularly about the bit about the (additional) art studio.
    Seems we might get a more mature/complex plot on our way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdnyTpTrRhQ

Doubt it... Wit studios only animated Attack on titan they never wrote it, and their original anime; Kabeneri of the Iron Fortress claim to fame was it's stylistic fight scenes and it's visually interesting steampunk/japan setting, it's plot was as barebones as it gets.

Wit's probably just taking some animation duties here... Interestingly Tesuo Yajima: the director of both XY and XY&Z is directing this movie.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The OS Pokemon movies were far more better, then the ones that came after the OS.

The XY movies were pure garbage, and they did far worser then the AG/DP/BW movies.

I think it is good for them not to do anymore movies base on the anime, especially since the XY movies did terribly at the box office. It does make since not to do anymore side quest for movies, and giving the fact how different the SM series is, it would be good to do reboot movies of the anime instead. But M20 wasn't all that good to begin with and i doubt M21 will be any better.

Not just did far worse than the AG/DP/BW movies, actually. The last two movies of the XY trilogy managed to do the unprecedented and beat out even Pokémon Heroes in terms of money lost. To put it in perspective, Pokémon Heroes, before those two movies, was the worst performing film to EVER plague the Pokémon films, doing badly enough that they had to completely restructure the films to be essentially infomercials to distribute Event Pokémon, often at the expense of the actual distribution events for the Event Pokémon. It got so bad of box office numbers that, no matter how badly the later films did, they at least avoided being an outright bomb like Heroes did prior to the Hoopa movie. Even the first XY film, while doing good enough to just barely stay ahead of the bomb that was the Lati@s movie, nonetheless did poorly enough that its screenwriter, who was responsible for all the movies from the Celebi movie up to Diancie, ended up fired and replaced, and failed to do better than the prior saga's final movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if TPC is trying to create a "Pokémon Cinematic Universe" with these movies. It's the latest franchise fad, after all, and I can see TPC/Nintendo wanting to get a piece of that pie. :rolleyes2:

What's going on right now with the Pokémon movies is giving me flashbacks to what happened with the Star Trek movies. After the last two TNG movies (Insurrection and Nemesis) flopped, Paramount went with a full reboot for the next one, and the end result was the 2009 JJ Abrams Star Trek -- a glossier, but much shallower version of TOS that was better-received than the previous two movies and did well at the box office... basically what M20 is for the Pokémon franchise.

After the 2009 movie came Into Darkness, which was pretty much a poor attempt at remaking the second TOS movie, Wrath of Khan. And, what do you know, M21 similarly appears to be an attempt at remaking the second OS movie, The Power of One. And, now you see why my expectations are low. -_-

(Seriously, the NuTrek movies are *not* a good lead to follow, especially with the third one flopping and leaving the franchise's future up in the air. If NuTrek could kill itself so quickly after a strong start, who's to say this Pokémon reboot attempt won't eventually end up doing the same thing?)

Yeah, no kidding regarding the Star Trek reboots by Abrams (and there are plenty of other issues besides being retreads that I have with Into Darkness and Beyond, but I won't divulge them since I promised earlier not to divulge any political stuff when responding to you.). Heck, forget NuTrek, just look at what Disney's been doing to Star Wars, also due to Abrams. First we get The Force Awakens, which was a pretty big success, yet at the same time was literally a by-the-numbers reboot/ripoff of A New Hope (in fact, I'd argue it's so much of a by-the-numbers redo of the film that, for a comparison to another "sequel" that redid the story of the original film, The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea, that actually came across as downright creative by comparison to TFA, it's THAT bad). And with The Last Jedi, while it doesn't reboot Empire Strikes Back, it also did a lot of shocking swerves that there's some issues being given against the movie for that movie, and there's evidence that it's going to underperform compared to The Force Awakens. It's even gotten bad enough that some Star Wars fans are actually petitioning for The Last Jedi to be removed from canon. Oh, and they also have a TV show that ruins a lot of Star Wars as well with few good elements in it. It's almost similar to what Pokémon's going through now.

I have a funny feeling too that, IF we get a Movie 22, we're going to get similar box office/critical results to Star Trek Beyond. And I'm not particularly optimistic about Episode IX even ignoring The Last Jedi (which I have slightly better preliminary views on compared to The Force Awakens after I watched it).

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    This thread is about the 2018 movie. This is not about the others movies and how others think they did.

For the last time, can you all stay on topic? Talk about the other movies in their respective threads. And please stop stating your opinions as facts. Use "in my opinion" in your posts as i repeatedly said.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    I say the same for OS movies.

Only Pokemon 3: Spell of the Unown and Pokemon 4Ever are great, the others aren't that great
    They put a lot of effort in the DP movies as you can realize it is the first official trilogy of movies in the Pokemon movie franchise. I agree AG movies aren't that great though, they're even worse than OS except by Lucario and Mystery of Mew.

Not just did far worse than the AG/DP/BW movies, actually. The last two movies of the XY trilogy managed to do the unprecedented and beat out even Pokémon Heroes in terms of money lost. To put it in perspective, Pokémon Heroes, before those two movies, was the worst performing film to EVER plague the Pokémon films, doing badly enough that they had to completely restructure the films to be essentially infomercials to distribute Event Pokémon, often at the expense of the actual distribution events for the Event Pokémon. It got so bad of box office numbers that, no matter how badly the later films did, they at least avoided being an outright bomb like Heroes did prior to the Hoopa movie. Even the first XY film, while doing good enough to just barely stay ahead of the bomb that was the Lati@s movie, nonetheless did poorly enough that its screenwriter, who was responsible for all the movies from the Celebi movie up to Diancie, ended up fired and replaced, and failed to do better than the prior saga's final movie.

Yeah, no kidding regarding the Star Trek reboots by Abrams (and there are plenty of other issues besides being retreads that I have with Into Darkness and Beyond, but I won't divulge them since I promised earlier not to divulge any political stuff when responding to you.). Heck, forget NuTrek, just look at what Disney's been doing to Star Wars, also due to Abrams. First we get The Force Awakens, which was a pretty big success, yet at the same time was literally a by-the-numbers reboot/ripoff of A New Hope (in fact, I'd argue it's so much of a by-the-numbers redo of the film that, for a comparison to another "sequel" that redid the story of the original film, The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea, that actually came across as downright creative by comparison to TFA, it's THAT bad). And with The Last Jedi, while it doesn't reboot Empire Strikes Back, it also did a lot of shocking swerves that there's some issues being given against the movie for that movie, and there's evidence that it's going to underperform compared to The Force Awakens. It's even gotten bad enough that some Star Wars fans are actually petitioning for The Last Jedi to be removed from canon. Oh, and they also have a TV show that ruins a lot of Star Wars as well with few good elements in it. It's almost similar to what Pokémon's going through now.

I have a funny feeling too that, IF we get a Movie 22, we're going to get similar box office/critical results to Star Trek Beyond. And I'm not particularly optimistic about Episode IX even ignoring The Last Jedi (which I have slightly better preliminary views on compared to The Force Awakens after I watched it).

You are right. The last two XY movies did poorly at the Box office, which means those two movies lost more money then Pokemon Heroes put together.

Pokemon movie 2018 doesn't look like it will be any good, and the art style looks like it won't be any good either.

Years
  • Reviving this thread because even though we still don't know the name of this movie, we have official confirmation that Lugia is going to be a part of this film. Do you think that Lugia's role will be like Ho-oh's role in the last film, if Lugia would a role like the one it had in the second movie, or have a different role altogether. Do you also think that Zeraora would be in this movie as well?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well, all I can say regarding Lugia is that we have to wait until next month to get any information on that Pokémon.

I'm pretty sure Zeraora's going to be in this movie, though. Since it's the only Event Pokémon of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, this movie's pretty much the obvious fit for it (besides, can't use Magearna since they already used that Pokémon back in the Volcanion movie, same goes for Marshadow with the prior movie).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Woo! Lugia confirmed!! And possibly a new form? Which is kinda odd. Although I will be honest, Lugia getting a Mega or something is going to be epic.

I knew when Lugia made its appearance in Hoopa movie, that it may indicate something special for Lugia was coming since it was kinda random and a very short part of the Legendary battle. So I hope I am still right about that. With Lugia being in it, it should be an epic movie.

I also think Zeraora will be in the movie. I am a bit surprised we didn't get info about it though. But it makes sense. When you think of Lugia, you kinda think of Stormy seas and Zerora is an electric type.

They could also do what they used to do and show a pokemon from Gen 8 as the main character. I don't think they have done that since Manaphy or Lucario. I mean you do have Mega Mewtwo, that came out prior to it being official as well.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I think it was pretty obvious Lugia was going to be in the film. I'm pretty excited and the animation looks good.

It's weird though, I like how they aren't just blatantly advertising for the next gen but what reasons would they have to make a another movie about Lugia? Is something special gonna to happen in gen 8?

Last edited:

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    Lugia showing up has me hyped, but I shouldn't get my hopes up too high since the last movie showed me the error of my excitement. I'm giddy about Lugia itself though lol.

Back