• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Audio] FR drum sounds in Anvil Studio

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
  • Hello, I'm wondering what drum noises in Anvil Studio are compatible with Fire Red, and what those drum sounds in AS are.
    I can't find the values in AS, only the pitches, and despite me being good at music hacking, I'm not musically literate.
    So does anyone have a list of the drum sounds for Fire Red in Anvil Studio?

Years
  • In most of Emerald's voicegroups instrument 0 is used as drums. In Anvil Studio it's an Acoustic Grand instrument, the first one in the list. But some voicegroups may use instrument 0 as a proper Acoustic Grand, not drums, so it's just a matter of testing to find out a proper voicegroup. I don't think FR is really different in this from Emerald, so you can try

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • In most of Emerald's voicegroups instrument 0 is used as drums. In Anvil Studio it's an Acoustic Grand instrument, the first one in the list. But some voicegroups may use instrument 0 as a proper Acoustic Grand, not drums, so it's just a matter of testing to find out a proper voicegroup. I don't think FR is really different in this from Emerald, so you can try

I know what track to use when using drums, what I'm talking about is: in AS if you switch the drum track to rhythm and open the piano roll editor, it presents you with all the drum sounds in the track. I want to know is: what sounds there are compatible with Fire Red.

Years
  • I'm not sure if you've already found a solution for your question yet, but I'll see what I can do.

Apparently the types of drum instruments available for a song you insert depends on the voicegroup offset you are using for your song's instruments. For example in my Emerald ROM hack, for songs that I'll need a lot of different kinds of drums for, I use either "Sky Pillar" or "Battle 6"'s voicegroup offset depending on what style I'm going for. Additionally, I edit these voicegroups to also include non-drum (flute, tubular bells, etc) instruments that are only found in other voicegroups, so it functions as an 'all in one' voicegroup for any new song in the future. Unfortunately, I don't currently know how to edit which drum instruments are available in a particular voicegroup, as I have no idea which numbers in the drum track correspond to what drum instruments between AS and Sappy, there are so many to test out.

So for your purposes, I'd recommend using a voicegroup that has shows lot of drum instruments (or at least the ones you want for your song) and copy/paste individual instrument data (offsets, values, etc) from the voice table editor in Sappy between voicegroups so you can then use all the instruments you want in one voicegroup.

Last edited:

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
    Years
  • I'm not sure if you've already found a solution for your question yet, but I'll see what I can do.

Apparently the types of drum instruments available for a song you insert depends on the voicegroup offset you are using for your song's instruments. For example in my Emerald ROM hack, for songs that I'll need a lot of different kinds of drums for, I use either "Sky Pillar" or "Battle 6"'s voicegroup offset depending on what style I'm going for. Additionally, I edit these voicegroups to also include non-drum (flute, tubular bells, etc) instruments that are only found in other voicegroups, so it functions as an 'all in one' voicegroup for any new song in the future. Unfortunately, I don't currently know how to edit which drum instruments are available in a particular voicegroup, as I have no idea which numbers in the drum track correspond to what drum instruments between AS and Sappy, there are so many to test out.

So for your purposes, I'd recommend using a voicegroup that has shows lot of drum instruments (or at least the ones you want for your song) and copy/paste individual instrument data (offsets, values, etc) from the voice table editor in Sappy between voicegroups so you can then use all the instruments you want in one voicegroup.

Actually, an EM ROM has only 4 assemblies of drum kits:
    Code:
    0x8675FEC (RSE drums, song #350 to #455, #474 to #483, #487, #556)

0x8676148 (FRLG drums, song #457, #459 to #473, #484 to #486, #488 to #555)

0x86763D0 (FRLG drums, with two additional drums, D#4 and E4, song #458 only)

0x86B429C (FRLG drums, but with Snare Drum at D1, song #502 only)

Years
  • Actually, an EM ROM has only 4 assemblies of drum kits:
    Code:
    0x8675FEC (RSE drums, song #350 to #455, #474 to #483, #487, #556)

0x8676148 (FRLG drums, song #457, #459 to #473, #484 to #486, #488 to #555)

0x86763D0 (FRLG drums, with two additional drums, D#4 and E4, song #458 only)

0x86B429C (FRLG drums, but with Snare Drum at D1, song #502 only)

That actually clears up a lot of questions I and others probably had, so thanks for sharing that.

Based on this information it looks as if all one would have to do to get the drum instruments they want is to make sure that Sappy's "Address1" in the Edit Voice Table window is already set to the right one of those 4 offsets when searching for a voicegroup to use (though actually changing Address1 would likely ruin a lot of songs' drums). Would this be accurate? I remember struggling to get certain drum instruments sounding right when using other voicegroup offsets. Maybe it was the drum assembly offsets that were causing that issue rather than the voicegroups themselves. If I'm understanding your post right, maybe the two songs I mentioned aren't the only ones with that particular drum setup, which means there are many more voicegroups we can choose from to get the right drum kit.

Last edited:
    Back