• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Roleplay Discussion

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Do you know if it is allowed to close a current RP and then create a new one that takes place several years later? It would be so that the characters could mature, so that more members could join, to sort of create a new goal etc.

I may be interested, but it really just depends on the kind of RP.

Yeah. Once the RP ends, VM/PM A_E or A_H, tell them to close it and type up a new one taking place years later.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • Hey, everyone. I'm planning on a new RP, which is a big mix of my favorite RP's. Who would be interested?

How do you think people would respond if I did an invitational RP?

Giving up on R&R, eh?

What exactly do you mean by "invitiational"?

I've been thinking of ideas for an RP lately, but had none :x

Flax

Bang.
    Years
  • An Invitiational RP?

Eh.. I'm thinking of making a new fresh RP. A much shorter RP then my current story Aether. I'm thinking of what way this RP should be written in. I don't like when there's too many trainer characters personally so I thought about having one human character who has a giant Pokemon party. But I personally find that stupid.. I dunno. I can't figure out what makes a Pokemon story "good".

Also - I realized Aether is actually very long when I thought about it one day (I estimated it would at least take 70 or more pages). It makes a bit more sense for me to divide Aether into seperate threads, each thread staring a new chapter. I dunno - maybe I should do that.

But to everyone who generously joined my story, I apologize. After reading through, I kinda realized that Aether started off very sloppy. Well.. I haven't roleplayed in like such a long time and also being that Aether's my first actual Pokemon RP, you'd have to expect something. I was actually nervous that it might have not been accepted when I first put it up.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Giving up on R&R, eh?

What exactly do you mean by "invitiational"?

I've been thinking of ideas for an RP lately, but had none :x

Actually, in the RP I'm thinking of R&R is going to do the same role it did in the original R&R, just on a wider scale.

It means that only people I/the Game Master asks can join the RP.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    This RP is still open, I think: Pokemon Ranger: Legends in the Making.
    The Region's Disaster might have some open slots too.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • Actually, in the RP I'm thinking of R&R is going to do the same role it did in the original R&R, just on a wider scale.

It means that only people I/the Game Master asks can join the RP.

So, basically it's R&R restarted with a wider plot?

Sounds good to me. I was kinda dissapointed that R&R died, so a re-hash of sorts would be nice.

Can't wait until you make it :]

Mira

restless spirit
    Years
  • But the RP I want to close and re-open would be mainly for a few things:
    so that the characters who originally signed up would mature
    because the main "antagonist" shifts in a sense
    so that new people would be able to sign-up with less hassle (they would have an easy way to jump in)
    because the fighting and such gets more intense and driven
    and just so that it can be set up neater

Do you know if these are good enough reasons to do so?

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • Why don't you just do what my friend did in his RP.

Make a "time-break" of sorts. Start a whole new chapter after a major event. Make that chapter how ever many years in the future. Re-open SU's and ask existing characters to create re-vamped ones.

Pretty much re-creating it without the hassle of a new thread.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    So, basically it's R&R restarted with a wider plot?

Sounds good to me. I was kinda dissapointed that R&R died, so a re-hash of sorts would be nice.

Can't wait until you make it :]

I'm also incorporating what was going to be in the future of the R&R Roleplay. Remember the 'problem' that I posted in R&R?

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • What I'd like to see in a roleplay are standards. I find it a lot more enjoyable to roleplay when people around me aren't forgetting what grammar is, making their characters do irrational things, and contradicting what's already been said. Rejecting one-liner sign ups would do a lot to raise quality.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • What I'd like to see in a roleplay are standards. I find it a lot more enjoyable to roleplay when people around me aren't forgetting what grammar is, making their characters do irrational things, and contradicting what's already been said. Rejecting one-liner sign ups would do a lot to raise quality.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

That's why I like invitational RP's. That way you don't have to worry about bad RP'ers

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    What I'd like to see in a roleplay are standards. I find it a lot more enjoyable to roleplay when people around me aren't forgetting what grammar is, making their characters do irrational things, and contradicting what's already been said. Rejecting one-liner sign ups would do a lot to raise quality.

That is exactly why I've been debating with myself if I should make an invitational roleplay. Greatly put, by the way.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • Quick Question

hey, i have a quick question:

to apply for a Ooc RP Thread, you only need to post your RP in the RPing section and then in the RP Lounge, right?

or is there a different process?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    You make the main thread, and when it gets accepted you send in the OOC in the lounge section.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years

That is certainly something I would love to see and participate in as well, but if it were to be invitational only that might cause a few problems. For instance, what must you do to get an invite? Must it be simply friends? Or, perhaps, people you have RPed with? There are plenty of people whom you or others may not have played with, but is excellent with grammar and tries to make it at least a little realistic, but they may not be allowed to join in simply because you don't know how they are.

Now, I'm simply asking this because I am knew and would like to know how things work around here. I've had a fair few ideas on a certain type of storyline I would like to make into an RP, but at the moment I am unsure. Quite a bit (pretty small, actually, and not noticable) of drama has already occurred, so I'm wondering if this is why certain people are more interested in invitation only. For me, it seems as if a good, lengthy RP sample should be enough to show you how a person writes, depending on how well it is written.

...Hmm, I think I've just answered one of my own questions. Ah well, I'm still curious and I just needed to get this out.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years

Amen to that. Been preaching the very same for a couple of years now...with very little tangible success, unfortunately. But yes, an RP that would take anyone with no regard for any measure of quality is not one that I would touch even with a ten-foot barge pole, and I'd like to think that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

That's why I like invitational RP's. That way you don't have to worry about bad RP'ers

That depends an awful lot on who's passing out the invites, though, and let me tell you: I've seen some pretty awful things on that front. D: Besides, invitational RPs are rather too...insular for my tastes. There's a bit of a coerced cast assembly (a direct invite is usually at least somewhat flattering, which makes people more likely to join) instead of one that is born of genuine interest when people read over the RP and then decide (without any external influences) to put in the effort for a sign-up. Also, overly distilled casts usually consist of the same old combination of people doing the same old things with new faces and names tacked to their characters, and that tends to be a bit...repetitive. If you want an invitational, then at least make sure to include people outside of the usual clique in the mix. It makes things a lot more fun for all concerned.

That is certainly something I would love to see and participate in as well, but if it were to be invitational only that might cause a few problems. For instance, what must you do to get an invite? Must it be simply friends? Or, perhaps, people you have RPed with? There are plenty of people whom you or others may not have played with, but is excellent with grammar and tries to make it at least a little realistic, but they may not be allowed to join in simply because you don't know how they are.

Now, I'm simply asking this because I am knew and would like to know how things work around here. I've had a fair few ideas on a certain type of storyline I would like to make into an RP, but at the moment I am unsure. Quite a bit (pretty small, actually, and not noticable) of drama has already occurred, so I'm wondering if this is why certain people are more interested in invitation only. For me, it seems as if a good, lengthy RP sample should be enough to show you how a person writes, depending on how well it is written.

...Hmm, I think I've just answered one of my own questions. Ah well, I'm still curious and I just needed to get this out.

Umm...you do realize that Rabbit never said anything about it being invitational, right? That was added in by other people. What that post advocates - at least the way I understood it - is simply standards, and standards allow for anyone to prove their worth. Personally, I am - as stated above - not too wild about invitationals, but I have to agree that an RP master with standards is a huge joining incentive for me. Why? Because a person who maintains their standards and doesn't admit underachievers is one who genuinely cares about the quality of the RP, someone who has probably put a lot of thought into what they want to make of their RP, and someone who really wants their RP to succeed. There's a lot of really promising looking RPs out there that I chose not to sign up for simply because it was plainly obvious that the RP master did not care, at all, what kind of people got into it or what they were doing there. No matter how intriguing the base idea is, the execution will never be better than the writers, and I personally can't respect the authority of an RP master who will whore out their RP to anyone who can be assed to copy-paste a few lines of generic nonsense onto the sign-up sheet and slap on an anime picture. To me, it's just proof that this person will be okay with anything and probably won't manage to keep things under control or interesting at all. :\

Demand quality and you will get quality, really. I've always placed standards on the people I let into my RP and my usual problem is overcrowding; not shortage. In fact, I've had some people who signed up because they wanted to see how much they had to improve on and what, and a lot of them improved their profiles far beyond what I expected simply because they were asked to do better. This, I'd like to think, implies that most people are capable of far better than what they are actually doing but aren't living up to that potential either because no-one is demanding it from them or because they are selling themselves short and don't believe in their own writing ability.

So yeah, seriously; no RP that gets past basic quality control is so bad that they need to accept anyone who stumbles into the thread just to survive. Have some confidence and demand some quality; you'll probably be positively surprised by the reaction.

Last edited:

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • If you want an invitational, then at least make sure to include people outside of the usual clique in the mix. It makes things a lot more fun for all concerned.

Oh, of course. If I were to make an invitational, I would invite only the best of the best RP'ers I know. Even if that excludes a few of my friends.

If I want a good RP, well by God I'm going to have one!

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    The sections need role plays with more thought into them. There aren't that many that don't have very much thought into them*Points to my newly made one*. I try to make good ones, but then I get serious writers block. I am trying to make one with a "WOW" plot, but so far I have no progress.

Anywho, I agree with the people talking about the quality'n'stuff. I go through a bunch of role plays that I think have good plots, but then I see some of the accepted sign-ups and leave. So, I like quality. Hell, I am not the best, not even good.. but I don't like role playing with people who misspell every word. Grammar, I am not much of an expert so this doesn't bother me as much. But, I don't want to see things like: more worser. Wtf is "more worser"

The appearance thing a pictures, it bugs me. Pictures mean the role player was to lazy to describe it, and wanted the easy way out. Now, I use pictures sometimes, but only as a reference(and then only if I think I was unclear). And then, beyond that if they allow pictures, they should only allow one type. Like, only allow anime, and not anime and then some people with a picture of someone.

Last edited:
    Back