• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hail Team Help

Years
  • It's been a while since I have played competitively. The last time I played Pokemon was White 2 back in like 2012. I got Sun about a month ago and I really want to make a competitive team for in-game around Alolan Ninetales, and I don't really know too much what I'm doing but I threw together a team and wanted to get some feedback from you guys and also help with filling my 6th slot. Thanks!

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk
    - Aurora Veil
    - Moonblast
    - Hypnosis
    - Encore

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Baneful Bunker
    - Scald
    - Gunk Shot

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
    Ability: Slush Rush
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Icicle Crash
    - Protect
    - Iron Head

Garchomp @ Leftovers
    Ability: Rough Skin
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Outrage
    - Stone Edge

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Gunk Shot is a waste on Toxapex given it's abysmal offensive stats, and it requires Recover to function as a defensive Pokemon, so swap the two. Protect is not terribly useful on Alolan Sandslash in singles--something like Rapid Spin or Swords Dance would be more beneficial.

Years
  • Protect is not terribly useful on Alolan Sandslash in singles--something like Rapid Spin or Swords Dance would be more beneficial.
    Oh, I wasn't sure about that. I took protect for more stall but I guess I'm not sure if my team is a stall team or more of just sweepers. If I'm not mistaken, aren't hail teams are stall based though? Like that's the strategy/niche they need to be relevant?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Oh, I wasn't sure about that. I took protect for more stall but I guess I'm not sure if my team is a stall team or more of just sweepers. If I'm not mistaken, aren't hail teams are stall based though? Like that's the strategy/niche they need to be relevant?
    nah, hail's all about getting up Aurora Veil so your sweepers have an easy time setting up and obliterating the enemy team. Maybe sometime in the past hail was a stall playstyle, but it's certainly not that anymore. You don't want Protect on Sandslash in singles specifically because it's not a stall 'mon. It's built to be a sweeper in the hail, and all Protect is usually gonna do for you is waste a precious turn of hail weather.

Back