• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] No motivation to play...

Years
  • I've completed the entire post game and main game of course, so, now, the only content I have to continue with is the grueling and pretty boring task of completing the full two game Pokedex. For me the idea of finding shiny Pokemon and completion of the DeX is not enough motivation for me to continue to play this while there are other new games coming out. Does anyone else share this opinion? I think one of the biggest mistakes of this series so far is that there is nothing to keep you going after the main storyline. I have 5 million money and am coming up on 300k watts from the wild area. I have already bought everything clothing wise, I have 200 of every item you can buy, and a team of level 100 Adamant natured Pokemon that have as many Protiens as they can take so they dont lose to anyone. I have no interest in the Battle Tower because the Battle Tower is well, stupid. Not fun. Annoying. I haven't even come close owning these games for a month yet and they are both 99.9% complete...

Years
  • There are definitely many people like you! But for me personally, shiny hunting and breeding for mons with good IVs/egg moves and then training them is a big motivator, and I usually rack up hundreds of hours doing that alone. What type of content would you want the game to have to keep your playtime longer? Is there anything you preferred with older Pokémon games over this one?

Years
  • Yes a lot of what the old games had, more hidden and longer caves, more buildings to hunt in, more secrets like the days of gold and silver. For the post game some location that was clearly off limits until the main game was beaten that has high level rare Pokemon. More available legendaries. I mean hell I think Black and White had time travel in the post game. Less laziness. Theres a single 2 minute very straight cave in this game. More to explore I guess. The main game is very very quick to complete. There is a pretty large list of mentions from the old games and Sword and Shield should be a culmination of the best of all of the past games, but it is not even close to that.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • This generation is a bit of a bust for me, so I totally get you. I really tried to look at my ease of leveling up and wrecking everything in short order in story as "oh look, it's more convenient." Now, I'm just thinking it's too easy. Straight up. I'm not one of those "easy mode sucks" people at all. But, I've been playing since RBY, and this doesn't really feel as fun because I know that I'm going to win every battle I enter -- even the much-ballyhooed max raids are simple to a "why bother?" point.

I had a bad feeling that Game Freak would want to appeal to more casual fans who have been playing PoGO, and I feel like they delivered.

Years
  • Yeah this is a game that definitely feels like it was made for a younger crowd and I guess the Pokemon world has been lax as of late. The last game I played was Black and White and those seemed much longer than Sword and Shield, plus you could get my favorite Pokemon of all time in them: Ho-oh. There were more legendaries and longer storylines and most post game content. I wonder if with Sword and Shield they are just trying too many brand new concepts and that's what has caused such a low steam game but I mean Pokemon as a concept is obviously popular, and they have years and years of practiced and perfected magic from the Pokemon series that has been left untapped in Sword and Shield. It is disheartening.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I hear you.
    After the national dex shenanigans, my interest in the games drastically dropped and it got even worse for every trailer they released. The game promised to be for veteran players but it just looked so watered down and casualised. The models and animations are the same from XY, despite promising they cut the dex for better animations and expression. This lead me to pre-order Dragon Quest XI S instead, a game I was way more excited for and I wanted to play more DQ games. However, I did end up buying Sword used at a local store and while I had some fun with the game, I don't have any motivation to go back to finish the post-game nor finish the dex nor do raid battles. I would go back to do online battles but I've heard Nintendo Switch Online isn't fantastic and I don't feel like paying for something I'm not going to use much.

Honestly, Dragon Quest XI spoiled me; it had a much more engaging story with an enjoyable cast, better presentation, felt like a fresh experience while sticking to what made Dragon Quest great, a much expansive post-game, and replayablity (you can have a pseudo new game +, play the game in a different mode, and even make your run challenging by adding Dracovian Quests).

I agree, the older Pokemon games are much better due to content and I'd much rather play those games over Sword.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
    Years
  • Yeah this is a game that definitely feels like it was made for a younger crowd and I guess the Pokemon world has been lax as of late. The last game I played was Black and White and those seemed much longer than Sword and Shield, plus you could get my favorite Pokemon of all time in them: Ho-oh. There were more legendaries and longer storylines and most post game content. I wonder if with Sword and Shield they are just trying too many brand new concepts and that's what has caused such a low steam game but I mean Pokemon as a concept is obviously popular, and they have years and years of practiced and perfected magic from the Pokemon series that has been left untapped in Sword and Shield. It is disheartening.

I couldn't agree more. These games just feel vastly unfinished, we don't even get any mythicals, that I am aware of, and the story seem very rushed.

Mulgorath

Mulgorath
    Years
  • I understand where you're coming from with the postgame content. I do remember there being more places to explore after beating the Elite Four back in DPP. But since I've grown fascinated with the competitive scene, I'm still having a lot of fun post-completion. It also is pretty fun to blast through raids, and the XP rewards are awesome. But I get where you're coming from and if you aren't someone who likes the competitive stuff, I can see there being nothing much to do after dex completion. And that's too bad about Battle Tower! It's actually my favorite content at the moment.

pkmin3033

If you're not motivated to play, then don't. Video games are supposed to be fun, and if you've reached the limits of that with these games - which it sounds as though you feel you have - then...put it down and play something else. Speaking as someone who has pushed themselves through many an unpleasant platinum trophy, in the long run it isn't worth the hassle, and you have many, many other choices available to you. Plus, there is nothing to stop you from picking the games up again later if you feel like it!

Years
  • That's true, and I have already gotten rid of the games. I didn't delete the save data from my Switch though so whenever I decide to get the games again, if I do decide to, I can pick up right where I left off. I've been looking at the Outer Worlds for PC lately and thinking back to Monster Hunter World which is a phenomenal game. But for Pokemon for now I'm just waiting for the next entry hoping that they improve 100% upon it from this one.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Honestly, if you played the whole game and enjoyed it, and you feel like you got your money's worth, then there's no reason to force yourself to keep playing it. Plenty of people go through the story and enjoy it for what it is then sell them afterwards. There's no right or wrong way to play. :)

Years
  • No that's true and I respect that opinion entirely. My issue is more with the design of the game itself versus what I am used to from Pokemon. This was the fastest two game play-through of Pokemon I've ever seen thus far and I just feel like this was a flop personally.

Back