• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

darthbr

Banned
Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Hello
    im trying to compile shin lite, but im getting this error...

rgbgfx -d1 -o gfx/minimized_mon_sprite.1bpp gfx/minimized_mon_sprite.png
    FATAL: Image height (5 pixels) is not a multiple of 8!
    Conversion aborted after 1 error
    make: *** [Makefile:103: gfx/minimized_mon_sprite.1bpp] Error 1

its the first compilation, i downloaded the files in github, set in pokered folder, then everything is set, but im getting this error, can u help me or check?

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Hello
    im trying to compile shin lite, but im getting this error...

rgbgfx -d1 -o gfx/minimized_mon_sprite.1bpp gfx/minimized_mon_sprite.png
    FATAL: Image height (5 pixels) is not a multiple of 8!
    Conversion aborted after 1 error
    make: *** [Makefile:103: gfx/minimized_mon_sprite.1bpp] Error 1

its the first compilation, i downloaded the files in github, set in pokered folder, then everything is set, but im getting this error, can u help me or check?

I'm not totally sure what you did. Can you try a "make clean" followed by a "make"?

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I'm not totally sure what you did. Can you try a "make clean" followed by a "make"?

i did `` cd pokered`` -> make clean

$ make clean
    rm -f pokered.gbc pokeblue.gbc pokegreen.gbc pokebluejp.gbc pokeredjp.gbc audio_red.o main_red.o text_red.o wram_red.o audio_blue.o main_blue.o text_blue.o wram_blue.o audio_green.o main_green.o text_green.o wram_green.o audio_bluejp.o main_bluejp.o text_bluejp.o wram_bluejp.o audio_redjp.o main_redjp.o text_redjp.o wram_redjp.o pokered.sym pokeblue.sym pokegreen.sym pokebluejp.sym pokeredjp.sym
    find . \( -iname '*.1bpp' -o -iname '*.2bpp' -o -iname '*.pic' \) -exec rm {} +
    make clean -C tools/
    make[1]: Entering directory '/home/b1400171/pokered/tools'
    rm -f scan_includes gfx pkmncompress
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/b1400171/pokered/tools'

then ``make``

but got the same error, im trying to compile the lite version from your github, theres no modifications, this will be the first one, but im getting this error, not sure if u modified something

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Shinpokered pulls to a folder called "shinpokered", not "pokered".

I'd suggest you start fresh.

First, make sure you have RGBASM 0.5.2 installed if compiling the regular lite branch. But I would recommend switching to the lite_dev branch since it has about a year's worth of fixes. Lite_dev compiles with RGBASM 0.6.0. This is important since changes to the compiler means old code will throw a bunch of errors.

Type "git clone https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/ -b lite_dev --single-branch"
    This will download the lite_dev branch into a folder called "shinpokered".
    Type "git pull origin lite_dev" at any time to make sure your local lite_dev repository is up to date with my remote github repository.

Try "make" after that.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Shinpokered pulls to a folder called "shinpokered", not "pokered".

I'd suggest you start fresh.

First, make sure you have RGBASM 0.5.2 installed if compiling the regular lite branch. But I would recommend switching to the lite_dev branch since it has about a year's worth of fixes. Lite_dev compiles with RGBASM 0.6.0. This is important since changes to the compiler means old code will throw a bunch of errors.

Type "git clone https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/ -b lite_dev --single-branch"
    This will download the lite_dev branch into a folder called "shinpokered".
    Type "git pull origin lite_dev" at any time to make sure your local lite_dev repository is up to date with my remote github repository.

Try "make" after that.

Im really sad, cause i did everything right, like this video, just changed the rgbds-0.6.1-win64

>> followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0D6U9iwHCw

the only different thing is the versions in cygwin, cause theres new ones, and im on windows 10
    *of course i changed the github link

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Im really sad, cause i did everything right, like this video, just changed the rgbds-0.6.1-win64

>> followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0D6U9iwHCw

the only different thing is the versions in cygwin, cause theres new ones, and im on windows 10

Don't be sad. I just did a "make clean" on my master_dev branch and now I'm getting the same error as you. I think there was an update to rgbgfx. Let me fix it and I'll get back to you.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Don't be sad. I just did a "make clean" on my master_dev branch and now I'm getting the same error as you. I think there was an update to rgbgfx. Let me fix it and I'll get back to you.

alright, thank you!! i tried to compile pokered, and got no errors, i was thinking it was my fault

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    alright, thank you!! i tried to compile pokered, and got no errors, i was thinking it was my fault

I just asked around in the pokered discord. Turns out that rgbgfx got a total rewrite in v0.6.0, so it wont take any png that isn't in 8x8 tile dimensions. The minimize sprite is a hack that is an 8x5 partial tile.

I've attached a new png that is the proper 8x8 tile format. I was able to build with this one.

Attachments

• minimized_mon_sprite.png
      minimized_mon_sprite.png
      164 bytes · Views: 135

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I just asked around in the pokered discord. Turns out that rgbgfx got a total rewrite in v0.6.0, so it wont take any png that isn't in 8x8 tile dimensions. The minimize sprite is a hack that is an 8x5 partial tile.

I've attached a new png that is the proper 8x8 tile format. I was able to build with this one.

oh damn, ok thank you

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023

alright, we fixed that, but now i got some other erros

ld optimization will stop being the default; pass `-l` to opt into it
    error: Assembly aborted (3 errors)!
    make: *** [Makefile:55: audio_red.o] Error 1

i think its the newer update, its causing these errors, can u try it in yours?

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    It's a makefile error, but I don't know what could be wrong from just that error message. Some kind of incompatibility with your version of rgbds. You really should just clone or pull from the current lite_dev branch. I've updated all the code there as well as the makefile to be compliant with rgbds 0.6.0.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    It's a makefile error, but I don't know what could be wrong from just that error message. Some kind of incompatibility with your version of rgbds. You really should just clone or pull from the current lite_dev branch. I've updated all the code there as well as the makefile to be compliant with rgbds 0.6.0.

its working with the master one

but i cant download the lite one...
    git clone https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/ -b lite_dev --single-branch
    its not downloading

$ https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/ -b lite_dev --single-branch
    bash: https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/: No such file or directory

also, if i try to download the lite one manually, its comming the ''master'' one, its comming with de 48x48 sprites changes and other things, can u please check?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    its working with the master one

but i cant download the lite one...
    git clone https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/ -b lite_dev --single-branch
    its not downloading

$ https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/ -b lite_dev --single-branch
    bash: https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/: No such file or directory

also, if i try to download the lite one manually, its comming the ''master'' one, its comming with de 48x48 sprites changes and other things, can u please check?

Try using

I just tried that one and it downloaded fine.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I have a question, maybe someone somewhere asked this, but there are 32 tabs and I won't try go through all that to see if someone asked the same.

But, is there a way to example, translate this romhack to other languages? I know in the GitHub there's ways to edit the texts and when compiling it comes out as expected. Yet is there a way to add "custom characters" to the font graphic, and display them when used? And if so, where? I need help.

Days
    • Seen May 13, 2023
    Really loving this ROM hack - recently started playing it. I noticed a few fixes in the dev patch that I like. Should I just go ahead and continue with 1.23.14 or is 1.24 on the horizon? Either way, amazing stuff!!

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Really loving this ROM hack - recently started playing it. I noticed a few fixes in the dev patch that I like. Should I just go ahead and continue with 1.23.14 or is 1.24 on the horizon? Either way, amazing stuff!!

1.23.14 is fine to use. 1.24 is on the horizon for sometime this year, but I expect to be doing only minor tweaks and polishing between 1.23.14 and 1.24.

Back