• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen couple of quick questions

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    1) How are you supposed to do trade evolutions in VC Crystal, or is it just that you can't?

2) Back in Gold/Silver there was, if I remember right, a glitch where if you turned off the power while the game was saving when you moved a Pokemon between boxes, it would clone it. Was this glitch present in (the original) Crystal too, and if so, is it also still present in the VC re-release of it?

Years
  • Hi

The answer to the first question is yes, you can trade Pokemon wirelessly on the virtual console games to obtain more Pokemon and induce evolutions. You can get help by going to the top floor of a Pokemon center and speaking with a representative. The game has modern era support so that you no longer need ye ole gameboy color and a link cable, just an extra ds or someone you trust whom you can trade with. The gen 1 and 2 virtual console games also are compatible with pokemon bank so you can eventually get your Pokemon out of Crystal and into gen 7 permanently via the transporter if you want to take anyone with you to Alola.

Also yes, the cloning glitch you are referring to was in Crystal as well. It was almost exactly the same process used in Gold and Silver, the timing just had to be a fraction of a second later, turning off the game just as the word "power" appears rather than beforehand.

I haven't tried to use this glitch on the virtual console yet but there was an article here in the Pokemon community that verified it was still there, I believe it may have been part of the gen 2 shiny hunting article but not postitive that this is source. Since Red, Blue and Yellow were released with all of the major glitches I would imagine that these games also come with all of their original quirks too.

I hope that some of this helped you at least a little. I hope you enjoy Crystal.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The Cloning (or Duplicate) Glitch still works. It's great and works on Pokemon with held items and Eggs (like the Odd Egg!).

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I don't have the memory of the glitch working on original Crystal (but then, maybe the French version I have is a later revision?) . It does work with VC Gold and Silver.

Back