• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BREAKThrough Gengar - cotw 20OCT16

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    CARD OF THE WEEK

1080546.jpg

Gengar
    Set:BREAKThrough #60/162 (Note: This card is also present in Generations)​

This week's card is the excellent Gengar from both BREAKThrough and Generations!

It's main appeal is it's second attack, Creep Show, which is an absolutely insane attack. At the cost of just two energy (just one in Expanded if you're running Dimension Valley) it can 1HKO anything in the game providing it has 3 Damage counters on it. This is especially potent with so many cards (including my first COTW, Galvantula) and can lead to some very technical sweeps.

It's other attack, Sinister Fog, isn't bad by any means. Straight up poison to the defending pokemon and 1 Dmg Counter across the bench for a single energy is a fairly handy attack, especially when coupled with it's previously mentioned main draw.

Unlike other cards I've posted here, Gengar has no value as a support card, quite the opposite really, it would be your key attacker. It works ludicrously well with Trevenant BREAK (however, you may wish to avoid running them together as it's essentially two stage 2 focus lines) and works almost as well with Alakazam EX (although, unlike big Trev, he needs your opponent to have energy out to start laying down the thirty damage across the bench). Phantump and Evosoda can speed up a TrevBREAK and rare candies can speed up a Gengar which takes the edge off of their stage 2 status which makes them a viable combo still. Another usable bench support card is Ampharos from Steam Siege, which allows you to hit an opponent's ex each turn with 3 damage counters for free via it's ability, meaning you can bypass Gengar's big nightmares (Rough Seas and the newer Shaymin EX) and still pick up the 1HKOs. Gengar has fairly acceptable HP, a resistance to Fighting types and a free retreat which makes this stone cold killer a fairly sneaky and agile card that can often escape a Lysandre trap. A real problem you could come across is my prior COTW, Magearna EX, which would stop Creep Show from doing anything to any of your opponent's pokemon with a metal energy attached. The best way around this is either run a Garbador line in your deck, or the much more economical and quick Hex Maniac.

I'd like to apologise, this is seemingly more a Card of the Month thread than week. The past few weeks my end have been crazy busy, things should be back to normal now

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2017
    adding card like team magma base can help this deck a lot. well u need to be careful about ur pokemon hp too since it affect both player.
    or trevenant break also pretty decent since it place 3 counter on each of ur opponent pokemon

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    adding card like team magma base can help this deck a lot. well u need to be careful about ur pokemon hp too since it affect both player.
    or trevenant break also pretty decent since it place 3 counter on each of ur opponent pokemon

Yeah, Trev's a bit slow though. Bats work with it too quite nicely

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2017
    well if got mega alakazam this gengar is b**** especially with team magma base, u could instan a lot pokemon on enemy bench, even if its ex with 180 hp.
    lysandre works with this too well since u can instan whoever ur enemy prepare

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    well if got mega alakazam this gengar is b**** especially with team magma base, u could instan a lot pokemon on enemy bench, even if its ex with 180 hp.
    lysandre works with this too well since u can instan whoever ur enemy prepare

M Alakazam? It'd be counter productive. You'd rack up much more than the needed 3. Bats, Trev Break, Kyurem EX and Ampharos are all more economical options

Back